Looking for Montessori in Stuttgart for 4year old

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello. I am moving to Stuttgart in February. My 4 and 5 year olds are currently in full day Montessori in Pennsylvania. I am having a very hard time finding one around Patch Barracks or anywhere in Stuttgart. Does anyone know of such a pre-school, or another German pre-school? Thanks!

Posted

My wife is a Montessori teacher (not in Stuttgart), I'll ask her. Here's a link you may have already seen http://www.montessori-baden-wuerttemberg.de/

I'll repost when she's back from work ;)

Meanwhile, here's another link that lists a few early learning centres (bear in mind that Germany doesn't have Pre-schools, at 4 years old it would be daycare, unless you go private. Kindergarten starts at 6 here, although each private school has different age groups - so the age of 4 would be considered like daycare. It's not the same concept as the US, just the same word http://www.newinthecity.de/en/new-in-stuttgart/children-schooling-stuttgart/childcare-stuttgart.html

Posted

Correction, sorry - my wife just clarified that kindergarten IS pre-school, and incorporates the ages 3-6, and then kids start regular primary school. Sorry about the mis-information :-S

She said that my links are indeed the ones you should be looking at.

Best of luck :-) And safe move!

Posted

Thank you. I am trying these sites. Everything seems full... Any suggestions?

Posted

Preschools (Kindergartens) are always full, pretty much everywhere in Germany. Contact the individual schools where you'd like your children to be enrolled - preferably by telephone (assuming you can't go in person until you move in Feb.). Tell them that you want to get on their waiting list and emphasize that your 5-year-old will need linguistic and other (cultural, etc.) integration before starting school in Sept. (assuming your child will be 6 before Oct. (therefore of compulsory school age) and will attend German schools. Children who are 5 and/or who need extra German language training/support in preparation for school tend to get priority on waiting lists above, say, local 3-year-olds. So you may well have a chance to get at the very least a place or two for your kids starting in September and maybe even something sooner, should a spot open up. Most important is to get on the waiting lists of each individual Kindergarten that might possibly come into question for you, and plead your case to them on the phone (and, in person once you arrive), and then hope for the best. You never know - you may indeed find a spot becomes available once you're "on the ground" here.

HTH. GL!

Posted

I asked my wife again, she said that calling the Montessori and ask them for recommendations and if they can point you in the right direction for kindergartens that aren't full. You may have to home school until a few months after you arrive and find your feet.

Sorry couldn't have been more help than that :-(

Posted

There is a Montessori in Degerloch, which is a suburb of Stuttgart.

http://www.montessori-stuttgart.de/

The advantage is that they have admissions year-round, whereas most Kindergartens take new kids in August only. They are usually full, though, so you might want to call, write, or apply early.

Posted

If you are working near Heidelberg, there is montessori-heidelberg.de - three nurseries in the Kirchheim/Rohrbach area.

The nursery is a lovely Montessori nursery. Waiting list is quite long though.

Posted

Correction, sorry - my wife just clarified that kindergarten IS pre-school, and incorporates the ages 3-6, and then kids start regular primary school. Sorry about the mis-information :-S

She said that my links are indeed the ones you should be looking at.

Best of luck :-) And safe move!

:) glad you corrected - my two started kindergarten here at 2.5.

If I can say - you may not want to be terribly concerned with the school/kindergarten being Montessori. Most stadt or evangelisch (it's not what it sounds like) run on very Montessori principals without calling it that. I could show you our Evang. Kindy here and you'd be impressed - its more Montessori than most places back home that are titled as such and cost a fortune in tuition!