Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fantastic Manual Milk Frother from IKEA

20 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anybody remember these little gems? Plastic, fit in a cup with a little plunger, can froth a cup of hot milk beautifully in seconds. Ikea Walldorf had them about 8 years ago. they were 1 Euro each. We bought two. we used them almost every day for years, but now we have lost our last one. We are loathe to buy a battery powered device when these little gems do it better and faster. But IKea have not stocked them for years. Anybody know where they can be found?

Posted

what did it look like, any of these? http://www.google.de/search?q=milchschaeumer&hl=de&client=safari&tbo=d&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=X9-8UIq6HcXxsgaakIDwBw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1024&bih=633

Posted

You mean these? Saw them there the other week...

(I don't want to say it, but I have to: "www.ikea.de, search for "milch". Not that hard!) :P

Posted

think he says it is a manual one not a battery operated one.

Posted

.. you can spin it around manually if you like. :rolleyes:

Posted

said the actress to the bishop :D

Posted

Here is a photo alongside a bottle of my favourite tipple. It is made of hard plastic, and has a narrow plunger runs down the middle (which we have lost , so right now its as useless as a hot water bottle without a top (we have a few of those also). It requires no batteries, just a bit of fast up and down motion of the hand.. the faster the action the foamier the milk. And it really is better than one of those crappy battery operated devices. Her indoors has googled high and low with no luck.. A new one would be the perfect xmas present, all round.

Posted

How about these

BODUM Latteo 1446-01 Milchaufschäumer (this does small amounts)

Bialetti Tutto Crema Milchaufschäumer (this will do up to 1 liter)

Here is an Ebay link http://www.ebay.de/sch/Manuelle-Milchaufsch%C3%A4umer-/171755/i.html?_sop=15 - if you change the sort order to lowest price/p&p, you will get a whole load of manual devices starting from €1.

Posted

Perlach, thanks for that , a few close contenders there. The beauty of the ikea one is that the milk is frothed directly in the drinking cup or glass . So place glass in microwave, then froth, then add coffee..so one only frothed the required amount of milk.

Posted

By the looks of the device in your picture, I was going to make some wisecrack about the requirement for batteries... but held back, as I felt terrible about not properly reading your initial post regarding your aversion to battery operated devices. ;)

So Inspector Cleuso here, thought hey. Let's put our detective hat on. Amazingly I found an entire blog site dedicated to Milk Frothers. Who woulda thought, interwebz huh! The premium one listed at the top of the page is in French - the Biesse cremafacile. No one knows how to froth milk like a Frenchman, eh? So the Mademoiselles say.. Oui oui!

So every good detective knows how to use his google. I got googling. And well, it is Italian. But we're all united as one Europe right? Italian, French, German, we all enjoy a good frothing.

Here you go then. This sexy little Italian milk-frothing beast available on the interwebz right here in Deutschland for the low low price of €10,99. Why not get three for only €7,99 each. Some Christmas gifts perhaps? The missus will love it!

Inuendo aside (no not that new Italian suppository), here is a great article on how to convert an Ikea milk-frother into an at home love machine! :unsure:

You can start making your kit now and have a buzzy, frothy and Merry Christmas!

post-176699-13546093836165_thumb.jpg

Posted

So place glass in microwave, then froth

I don't know where to get the device you are looking for, but I just wanted to say I think you should do it the other way around, froth the milk cold and then put it in the microwave. You should not put too much milk in and you should check the milk from the microwave window because the foam will grow even more while been warmed up in the microwave.

Posted

Well thank you Inspector .. amazon.de do stock it - supplied by the aptly named Culinaris Küchenaccessoires - her indoors will be in for a treat. It looks more high end than the simple Ikea one... but importantly it does not require batteries and looks like it will do the job nicely.

Posted

Wow "Culinaris Küchenaccessoires".. that's quite a mouthful. You are a cunning-linguist! :D

Posted

The exact model as Ikea were selling years ago is available here:

http://www.caffein.de/magento/default/accessoire/milchaufschaumer/frabosk-fast-cappuccino-color-orange.html

This on line shop looks to have a pretty good selection of all things coffee related. The prices were cheaper than amazon.

Posted

Thanks dmblbit for getting back with that info. I'll check it out for my other coffee requirements. I still think that milk frother looks suspect though... then again maybe that's just me... :P

Posted

Thank you so much. The old Ikea one is our favourite, too and soo much cheaper than the Bodum doohickies. This is fabulous.

-ann

Posted

I was all over this like glue and ordered one for a friend who loves coffee with lots of Milchschaum... until I got to the Kasse and found out total cost of the 3.99 € milk frother is over 10 € with delivery charges. :blink:

Opted out of that order right quick and am now trying to figure out how to get my hands on one for nearer a realistic price. And yes, I looked through the rest of their stuff, and there was nothing else I would have ordered, to make it worth paying the delivery charges.

Posted

with the plunger out, one could be forgiven for thinking that it has other applications. With the plunger in, its only good for frothing.

Yeah, the delivery seem a bit on the steep side. However, if a door to door salesman came to our place last Saturday morning I would have paid him 20 euros for one, the need was so strong.