On the Buses "I'll get you Butler!"

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Are there any other Brits or native English speakers working in any other German Verkehrsnetz? Surely there must be some in Düsseldorf or Munich.

If not, are you the only one where you are?

None come to mind right off the bat. dry.gif

Posted

Now I've read this I suddenly realise that Blakey's character is pure Jerry. Thanks! ;)

Posted

Yes, at least there was once here in Munich about ten years ago. I knew an American girl was/is a S-Bahn conductor.

Posted

Welcome to Toytown, Wanted!

This is for your topic title:

( for those too young to know what it means..)

Posted

Wanted, in Hameln there is 'Richard the bus-driver' who is an ex-soldier (engineer?) - he retired two weeks ago, but will be back to drive as Santa on the buses for two weeks in December, at which point he will then be unable to talk (too hot in the suit, windows open, freezing outside, bad for the throat...rock and a hard place, but he has done it for about 15 years, I think!).

He is the only one I have met. Now off to Google Rosie Dew.

Posted

Sure is a blast from the past. It was basically carry on in half hour sitcom format. Loved it. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA5PmikI4DM&t=0m20s

Posted

Ah On The Buses! The days when we had a working class!

I even went to see one of the movies in the coinema, the Astra uin Colwyn Bay. The one where they went on hols to Prestatyn wasn't it? Or am I talking out of?

Bring back Reg Varney! Bring back TT banter!

Posted

Kiplette - that JOSIE Dew.

I read a few of her books years ago. I particularly liked her two set in Japan. I'll be recommending one of them to my mum soon. (Mum is in a reading group of her own. She asks me for book recommendations and I tell her what to read. Since she enjoyed Agatha Christie's biography as much as I did and asked for more, I'm now sending her to all sorts of places and eras via autobiographies.)

How sad am I? I once sent a fan e-mail to Josie Dew - and was so excited when she took the time to reply!

Posted

Thanks, nina - realised just in time, and have spent a pleasant few minutes reading some of her experiences. Laughed to see the pictures of her and her husband each with a bike trailer and a kid - when ours were smaller, I had one on the front, and two in the trailer on the back, and he - well he was apparently providing aufsicht for the one on her own bike and couldn't be encumbered...almost put him in for man of the year!

Posted

Haven't met a Brit driving buses in Berlin. Not to say that there aren't any, just I haven't met one.

A number of drivers are Turkish, but I did have a surprise one day - some French-speaking passengers got on the bus and the driver started nattering to them and joking with them in perfect French.

Turns out that the guy is a Breton and has been driving buses here for some 14 years.

Posted

The wife got some horrible pebble shaped new glasses a while back and Ive been calling her Olive ever since, she got some new ones when I showed her a clip of Olive.

post-93192-13545399552747.jpg

Posted

Thanks for the clarification, john g. I watched the entire credit role in amazement... Could they possibly have made those people look any uglier? I know I'm giving myself away as an American here, but Oh! Those teeth! The hair! Wow.

Anyway, welcome to TT, Wanted! Great opener. How about starting us out with a thread about adventure cycling? My ex husband once moved our entire belongings from one flat to the next by bicycle + trailer. Everything except the clothes washer. That was an adventure! I wish I had taken pictures.

Posted

there is a Brit tram driver in the Heidelberg area - sounds like a Londoner - he is kinda grumpy but very helpful...not the type that frequents Irish or Brit pubs...

Posted

one of my Irish ex-managers for Munich Irish Rovers was a postman here in Munich...not sure if that counts, or is even in the ballpark, so to speak.

Posted

ha, zeeklafreek! That reminds me of an English friend here in Hamburg, married to a German , who lived in New Zealand for a while and got a job as a postman. He used to love knocking on Germans´ doors there, waiting for them to open up and then say " Guten Tag! Ein Brief vom Finanzamt!"

Posted

My German colleagues have nicknamed me Highlander. No, I am not of Scottish heritage and do not wear a kilt or play the bagpipes. It all started on hot summer evening after work, enjoying a bar-b-cue with some work mates and their wives. I can not remember what game we played exactly but I won. During the drunken celebrations I called out

“ Es kann nur einen geben!”

So of course the name stuck! :lol:

Firstly thanks to PandaMunich for editing my post.

Kiplette

Richard the bus Driver sounds just like my old man, always game for a laugh. Then complaining bitterly to anybody who would listen, trying to hide the fact he’s was just a big softy when it came to kids.

Sin

It was not my intention when I used the catch phase “ I´ll get you Butler” in the posts title to insinuate that “Blakeys character is pure Jerry” as you put it. But I must admit when I watched the opening credits thoughtfully posted by John g. The way the Actor is photographed did make me wonder if the shows producers wanted to. <_<

Nina glyndwr

Here is a book to appreciate just how good the English people can be. It made me home sick reading it. When I wasn’t laughing.

Free Country: A Penniless Adventure the length of Britain. by George Mahood.

Also try

In Search of #6 by Damon Timm.

Ian

I followed your link and added my 2 pence worth! B)