Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Looking for Sunbeds for health / UVB NOT UVA!

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Since moving to Berlin from Australia, my partner and I are missing the sunshine and really want to keep our vitamin D levels up through this winter.

While I know you can take D3 supplements, I also like to have sun-bed sessions occasionally, not necessarily for the tan just to get the health benefits (vitamin D)

So to get to the point, there are plenty of sun-bed places around Berlin, but I have found it hard to get any information on the UVA / UVB ratios.

UVA makes you tan deeply however its dangerous as its been klinked with skin cancer / skin damage, where as the UVB interacts with the cholesterol oil in your skin to convert to vitamin D, and thats we are after.

We have had a session at SunPoint and no matter who we spoke to, they didn't seem to have a clue and told us to contact the head office, we did and they said they didn't know either... :wacko:

I would love to know if anyone can recommend a sun-bed place that uses the very best quality beds and also has a focus on health (not just tanning)

It would be fantastic if we could find one in the Charlottenburg / Wilmersdorf / Kudamm areas, but we are willing to go travel :)

Thanks! :)

Posted

Yeah, I'm interested in this as well. Live in Nürnbergstraße at the moment, so Wilmersdorf/Kudamm would be great.

Posted

Everything I've read says that UVB is also dangerous.

A simple Google/Yahoo search explains it.

Posted

Sure, but the interesting thing here is to get the benefit of Vitamin D production.

Posted

But it's real easy to take supplements. I take 5000 IU per day, and and half a year's supply is something like 15 Euros.

Posted

Drop some pills and save yourself turning orange.

Posted

frufruit sure UVB can be dangerous in excess, just like the sun, we need it to live however to much can kill us ;) UVA is particularly dangerous however, and I specifically want some UVB so my body can create vitamin D, as having a deficiency in vitamin D is dangerous, so its one of those things...all elements are dangerous if you are not educated on them and know how long and in what way to utilise it.

I already take some vitamin D3 supplements however its not the ultime way to gain D3 as it is easy to overdose which can be just as bad as being deficient..(there is recent research on this if you want to check it out)

Anyhow each to their own :)