Lidl, chicken, and antibiotics.

46 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all, hope everyone's enjoying the snow!

I eat quite a lot of chicken breast from Lidl, I'd say about 2 packs (2x600g) per week. I can't resist it for the price they give, but until this morning, when my friend told me that Lidl use more anti-bios in their chicks than Rewe/Toom/et al, that I am really contemplating switching to chicken from the market/organic, and eating less of it.

She couldn't back up her claims, but told me to have a look on the internet. I've had a look, but could only find bits and bobs and nothing dated recently, so can any Lidl enthusiasts on here point me in the right direction?

:)

Posted

Although I'm no expert, I highly doubt that the chicken bought from any supermarket is "healthy" - they wouldn't be able to sell 600g for a only a few euros if they weren't using chicken from battery farms that have been fed antibiotics and other junk. I also don't really see them advertising the fact, so it could be hard to find definite information. You get what you pay for though.

Posted

Animal production in Germany uses 900 tons of antibiotics per year

Do you have a source for this?

Posted

Do you have a source for this?

I saw it in a presentation by Dr. Felix Prinz zu Loewenstein about his book on organic farming, but you can also find it here (in German):

http://www.stern.de/tv/sterntv/test-mit-erschreckenden-ergebnissen-stern-tv-findet-keime-in-biofleisch-1789634.html

Posted

Dr. Felix Prinz zu Loewenstein

Ha! He and Prince Charles must enjoy swopping composting tips.

Posted

There's a reason why it sais "Fleisch nur gut durchgegart verzehren" on the package.

Posted

Yes, because eating raw chicken is not a good idea. Even if you reared the bloody thing yourself.

Posted

http://www.google.ca/search?q=superbug&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=hid&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivnsu&source=univ&tbm=nws&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=ry64UKnLPKXDigKYj4DoAg&ved=0CCkQqAI

The super bug will get you :lol:

Posted

After my husbands recent heart attacks, his doctor told him about the local chicken distributor. They kill tens of thousands of chickens daily and that the liife and care of the chickens is diabolical in his opinion. Doc reckons all meat should be avoided from supermarkets and though it costs more, buy from a farm. Until then we also ate chicken and turkey often though I always thought they tasted of less than those from uk supermarkets. I just don't trust cheap meat. Years ago when aldi and lidl were quite new in the uk there was some kind of channel 4 documentary stating that their meat comes from Eastern Europe and doesn't meet with uk farming standards. I'm sure that's changed though its put me off and we are getting quite close to vegetarianism. It's so hard to know what we are consuming these days unless you grow it and kill it yourself. Back in the uk I wrote some software for a company who supplied fruit and veg to all major supermarkets. The way in which the supermarkets dictated their cost prices was shocking. I'm feeling a ramble alert coming on so best stop now.

Posted

First, supermarket meat tastes worse because it's pumped with water. It's cheap chicken but very expensive water at five euro a kilo.

Second, the antibiotics aren't bad for you, the excess use of them is bad for the antibiotics. Reckless use of antibiotics wrecks their effectiveness. Far from demonising antibiotics we should be campaigning to protect them. They are a mainstay of civilisation - that is not exaggerating. No new ones have been found for decades.

Posted

Quite an interesting topic. When I moved from Canada to Germany, I was shocked how things in my fridge, like produce, would go off in a week. Back in Canada, I was used to going shopping once every couple of weeks or so. Then I moved to Turkey, and was again shocked to find things went off in only a couple of days. A lot of the produce comes right off the farmers truck at the weekly markets here in Istanbul. It is unbelievable how beautiful and tasty the fruits and vegetables are. I'll be moving back to Berlin in the very near future. I'd like to start eating more naturally produced products. This may sound silly, but I am really uninformed about the organic food world - what is the best way in a big city in Germany to get the best, most natural, chemical free food (meat & produce)- organic supermarkets? weekly open-air markets? I'm sadly not a gardener and I'm not a driver so I'm pretty much limited to what I can reach by bike, foot or u-bahn.

Posted

Here is my food philosophy. I look at food at three levels:

1. Eat as many veg as possible. (Michael Pollan's "Eat Food, mostly plants"). Plant a garden if possible.

2. If you have kids they need white meat, so poultry or fish. Kids need animal protein, as I discovered when I tried the veggie thing when they were small. At some point in the future we'll go veggie when they are older.

3. Least frequently, eat red meat. I made a delish beef stew this week with butcher meat. Prob won't make another for 2 weeks.

All my eat and fish are bought locally, and almost only rarely from the supermarkets.

Posted

I'd be cautious making any claims of what any particular supermarket chain does or doesn't put into their food. If people (over 10,000) re-tweeting rumours can get sued, making a direct claim in a public forum must be worse.

Just sayin'