Assistenzarzt Interview for Chirurgie

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I have been offered a phone interview appointment with Adecco GmbH a month from now. I swear my German conversation needs some serious improvement, which I will try to obtain by then.

I am an American osteopathic physician, looking to move to Germany for a resident physician position. I am working on getting my language certificate, and can write and read German better than I can speak it at this point, so I am very nervous about this phone interview.

I have a few questions:

1. Does anyone know the interview process in terms of resident physician positions? Here in the US the entire interview process is completely different.

2. I am applying for an Allgemein- und Visceralchirurgie position, do hospitals normally ask technical expertise questions such as details about surgeries? (I need to review German medical terms.)

3. How is the hierarchy in the surgery department?

4. How are first years as opposed to second years delineated?

5. What are the duties of a first year?

6. What is the typical salary for an Assistenzarzt after taxes?

7. Any advice on how to conduct myself in a telephone interview with German doctors?

8. Are there other steps involved in the interview process?

9. How much endoscopic surgeries as opposed to open surgeries do German hospitals normally perform and what are the general expectations of the oberarzt and chefarzt of a first year in terms of hands-on experience?

10. Is it appropriate for me to send a thank you letter after the interview? And do the hospitals prefer if you call them or they call you?

I appreciate your time and consideration.

Posted

Adecco is not a hospital; it is a temp agency.

So I suspect you don't need to worry too much as it is a general feeler-interview (which doesn't mean they don't have a specific position in mind...but that would be for a second interview, assuming the logistics such as language, residence, etc are clarified). You will be able to ask a lot of your questions directly in that interview (unless they specifically mentioned that it would be them AND a potential client hospital, which I doubt).

Posted

Like your profile pict. If that is you, I hope I never end up under your knife. :( Good luck.

Posted

The "normal" way of finding a job as an "Assistenzarzt" is to apply to a hospital in writing (paper or email) (you'll find useful information regarding how your application should look like using the search function). Usually they will then call to fix a date for the interview (that is, if you're allready in Germany). Most hospitals will advertise their open positions in the Ärzteblatt (a free bi-weekly magazine that all German doctors receive): Ärzteblatt job section.

Hospitals in more rural areas have difficulties in finding doctors, so if you don't mind living in the sticks you'll probably have no difficulties in finding a job.

Posted

about the typical salary I have already given a reply to another thread. you would get about 2,200 euros per month. Adecco is a Zeitarbeitfirma. Best would be to apply to hospitals directly. An interview to a hospital is like a normal job interview. no complicated process like in the US. The expectations vary greatly depending on the level of the hospital (community clinic, bigger city, university hospital) and on the person of the chefarzt/oberarzt. also that will determine what is expected from you and what you can do. How the clinics are structured is mostly available on their website and it depends on the type of hospital. If your German is good enough to get a medical licence, you should have no problem understanding these.

Posted

2200? That can't be right, surely? A beginning social worker salary in a hospital is 2700!

Posted

Oh, ok. But it still seems a little low to me, for a god in white!

Posted

i am talking netto because the op asked about salary after taxes... in my other message i explained it more in detail. Tabelle from the marburger bund can be found here . these sums are brutto and with any Steuerrechner, it is easy to find a netto sum of about 2,200 Euros per month. of course there will be extra payment for Dienst. This table is for community hospitals. In university hospitals, those owned by churches and privately operated hospitals, there are variations. All Vertrags from the Marburger Bund can be found here.

assistenten (residents) are no gods. they work sometimes very hard and the long hours can make the money/work time relation look very bad. After all you cannot do much with money if you work from 7 to 20-21 most days as an acquaintance did and on top of that you will have Dienste (which means that you won't sleep home every night) plus the fact that you still need to study, if you are into serious further training. of course there are more balanced cases. a lot depend on the hospital and the particular chefarzt of the clinic. Also take into account that those people have spend a lot of years studying to get there. getting into medical school and graduating is no easy thing. just the admission in germany (and i guess everywhere) is extremely competitive. Overall yes most doctors are paid more than average but it usually takes a very long effort to do so. that's my opinion at least.

Posted

The salary depends a lot on how the Dienste are organised and whether you'll get your overtime added to the salary or whether you're supposed to compensate for it by taking days off (which may sound great initially, but I know of some hospitals where de facto you couldn't take those days, because otherwise there wouldn't have been enough doctors present).

Also the way the hospitals "teach" is different, you can get everything from "surgeries only for those who've behaved nicely with the Chefarzt" to real programmes that come with a "you'll get all the surgeries you need for the Facharzt"-waranty. This is something you should definitely discuss during your interviews.

Good luck!

Posted

kati knows what she is talking about. a useful tip i have heard, is to do one or two months of Hospitation before you commit to anything. it is a way to know how the hospital works and form your own opinion rather than take someone elses.

Posted

Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate the information.

My interview is on January 31st... What happens next after the first feeler-Gesprache? Will the second interview be by telephone or will I need to travel to the hospital? Currently,, I'm a B-1 speaker, which worries me, because I can write and read German a heck of a lot better than I can speak it, but I intend to take a physician-communication course at the Goethe Institute before beginning, that is if I get the job. I don't know exactly where the hospital is or whether Adecco even has a particular hospital in mind, but I do know that it is supposed to be in Baden-Wuertemberg.

As for the salary: Yeah, 2,200 is a lot less than what I'm paid in America for a residency program, but the experience is worth it. Hopefully, I will be able to afford living in Germany on that amount of money. ;-)

Oh and as for my avi pic, nah, that is not me. I'm blond, I thought that picture was quite comical though, so I picked it. The pictures I have of myself in surgery are a bit bloody... Most are pictures of open heart surgeries, so I didn't use them here. :-)

Posted

I'm a B-1 speaker, which worries me, because I can write and read German a heck of a lot better than I can speak it, but I intend to take a physician-communication course at the Goethe

In addition, you might also have a look at German as a Foreign Language textbooks specifically aimed at doctors. There are a couple of them on Amazon, e.g.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/3939337412/

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/3642249221/

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/3468495277/

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/3464212327/