Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

That Was The Year That Was...1997!

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Right then,

This thread was prompted by Antenna Bayern playing this awesome song just this evening. Brought back awesome memories of the death of Diana for me. I was lying on my lounge floor recovering after my long haul flight Manchester-Bahrain just the day after arival in Dhahran, aircons blazing around me.

All my Saudi colleaugues came up to me to say "Sorry about "your" princess. The funeral was shown on the TV in our Research Institute that day.

Additionally to this, can anyone remember the excitement in 1997 of kicking the evil Tories out? I wasn't even in the UK, doing an all night party but it seemed the UK was an awesome place to be with all the Cool Britannia music about, Oasis were then huge. It was a heady time. I moved eventually back to UK, but went quickly expat pretty soon after.

So what were your memories of this year 1997? Who will pick another year and let us all share our memories? Maybe e.g., 1984 the miners strike, 2001 - Sept 11, more?

Posted

Next news Jeremy will be selling his K-kel collection of albums....

Posted

I remember coming home from the pub -- a frequent, nay daily occurrence, in 1997 -- and switching on Sky News and then hearing about the accident in Paris. By the time the funeral came around I was thoroughly fed up.

I do remember the lift the country seemed to get from the Labour win, and then the Scottish devolution referendum (last time I voted on anything). But mostly I remember extending my student days in a small west coast town, getting hammered, living in a dump, and making loads of very very good friends.

Posted

1976 I certainly wasn't listening to Jethro Tull. I was listening to Emil in Lönneberga.

I remember 1997 a bit better. I was in Ireland when the accident happened. I was visiting an American couple who lived on a yacht and were moored somewhere near Cork at the time. The people there were really heartbroken. Young guys even in tears over it.

Posted

I heard it on the car radio whilst driving my old white Fiat. It nearly made me crash!

Posted

Not much important happened since 1997 when I was in Hawaii and Germany and my friend visited me from Germany.Only taxes and prices went up since and I lost one tooth.The dot com bubble started to build and the economy got crazy.The 2K fear ruled for a while, the mortgage swindle took on form, some unidentifiable noise made some stages,some banks went broke and some others were rewarded with a kings ransom by the US government and their debt reached $16 trillion dollars.Governments changed and people died but life went on, only a little more difficult because the rich got richer and they made no more land anymore.So we are set into the middle of the stream and floating along until we fall over the cliff.if we can survive that tumble, life will go on as has been until we stop breathing and then nothing much matters, no pain and no gain.

Posted

Like LeonG, 1976 was the time of Sendungen mit Maus and Eeeeeemiiiiiiiiill! Oh, and a summer that went on and on and on for so long that even I got a tan. First summer I drove a tractor by myself too, but I had to wait another couple of years to do it with permission :)

Posted

I was living in the attic of an old Victorian terraced house on Amhurst Road in Hackney then. No kitchen, bathroom with bath but no shower - I could never stand up to shower myself off. I had to crouch in the bathtub. The kitchen was a hotplate with two burners on it on my travel chest and a second-hand fridge freezer in a corner. The whole place was so old and rickety that when there was a big gust of wind outside, the millimetre-thin carpet rose about 10 cm into the air.

Anyway, I remember being in that room when I heard the news of Diana's death.

And I remember also travelling to work on the Tube the day after Labour got in. The carriage was very, very quiet. As though people were stunned.

This morning, I lay in bed thinking about 1999. It was around this time of the year that Y2K panic was at its peak. Planes were supposed to fall out of the sky. Computer systems all around the world were suppsed to stop working and we'd be without power. People on life-support systems would die; looting and riots would take place. It was going to be the end of the world.

It still gives me a laugh.

Posted

Still have my copy of The Eye ;)

The Late Princess Diana

An Apology

IN recent weeks (not to mention the last ten years) we at the Daily Gnome, in common with all other newspapers, may have inadvertently conveyed the impression that the late Princess of Wales was in some way a neurotic, irresponsible and manipulative troublemaker who had repeatedly meddled in political matters that did not concern her and personally embarrassed Her Majesty The Queen by her Mediterranean love-romps with the son of a discredited Egyptian businessman.

We now realise as of Sunday morning that the Princess of Hearts was in fact the most saintly woman who has ever lived, who, with her charitable activities, brought hope and succour to hundreds and millions of people all over the world.

We would like to express our sincere and deepest hypocrisy to all our readers on this tragic day and hope and pray that they will carry on buying our paper notwithstanding.

E. Strobes

pp Lord Gnome

The Daily Gnome

Candle-in-the-Wind

Humbug

Berks

Posted

Next news Jeremy will be selling his K-kel collection of albums....

Only those of a certain age will remember K-Tel! Remember the Record Selector?

And I remember also travelling to work on the Tube the day after Labour got in. The carriage was very, very quiet. As though people were stunned.

It think that was the mood. We thought they'd never go.

In fact, I can now see meself in a cardigna, with a rocking chair, reminiscing. Think of me as the Val Doonican of Toytown.

Next up...1976 - one for Sin, I'm sure.

Well...I was going to write a '76 thread, but my posting rights were suspended. Jesus.

Posted

K-Tel... Didn't they have Tommy Vance doing the voice-over on their adverts? - "Ya buy one, ya get one free!"

Posted

97 was last year of my undergrad. As a mature-age student. Played a lot of football. Got drunk, often. Thought i was invinceable and knew everything. I was only 24. Two children, way too much drugs. No idea what was ahead for me. Probably a wee bit too young.

And then some dozy bint crashed her car.

Not that it mattered all that much to me.

I think a lot more important stuff happened to all of us in 97

Posted

I miss the days before the internet where one never knew the lyrics to songs and went on assumption. How disappointing it was to realize in a lifeboat in a lifeboatwas actually Alec Eiffel Alec Eiffel, and canary in a coal mine was canary in a coal mine.