Repaired washing machine returned is different

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

I hope someone may be able to help or give me some advice. Brought my Bosch from the uk with me and its now about 5 years old.

Recently there was a problem and it wasnt spinning right and so we called out a repair man. He came and said it was the stabilisers and took it away to repair. When it came back everythng seemed fine to start with. Then we noticed small differences. The plug was no longer English, the liquid tray didnt slide/fit as well as before, the top was longer and the general sides and back were different. Rang the repair man back up and mentioned the differences.

To begin with he said it was ours but then admitted that it had fallen over and that he had changed the outside (shell) but that it was still our washing machine inside. We were obviously extremley annoyed that he hadnt told us and now we are not sure if we have our machine back. We have the model number but i was wondering if there was anything on the motor/machine (inside) that has the model number on or the Bosch stamp that we can check to make sure that it is our Bosch machine and not a different/cheaper model.

Any help would be very much appreciated because we want to know if there is any hard evidence that it is our machine or not.

Cheers

rob_eng8

Posted

it will have a serial number, which you should have on docs, but this may well have been on the housing, usually on back near power inlet. Often the serial number is repeated internally, but this will involve removing the covers.

Did you get it in writing that they damaged your original machine and they housing was exchanged?

Posted

You should ask (even after the fact) for a repair report detailing work carried out and components modified or changed including any repairs or changes made as a result of their actions. If you have any reason to believe that work was carried out, or parts changed that are different to this report and are to your detriment (e.g. older, cheaper or alternative manufacturers components) then you should take legal advice.

Posted

Thanks Sprudel & YorkshireLad6

We have had nothing in writing from him other than a hand written bill which unfortunately we paid at the time. We asked for an official bill and he said he would send one through detailling all work etc. Everything else so far has only been verbal ie admitting damage and changing of the cover. The old cover did have the model number on etc but we now want to see if there is anywhere inside with on it to see if he is lying or not.

I am strongly strting to think he has changed it but want to be 100% sure before contacting our lawyer.

Thanks again

Posted

That's why you need a repair report to give him the chance to admit to everything he did, admit to any mistakes and the remedial action he has taken. If you get the repair report and subsequently find it is not accurate, or to your detriment (that bit is important as he may even have replaced parts with better ones) then you have every good reason to turn to the law.

Posted

if the wash machine came from the UK... there is a very very high probabillity that it was a "hot fill" machine..

Did you use a Splitter to feed cold water into both inlets?

Posted

if the wash machine came from the UK... there is a very very high probabillity that it was a "hot fill" machine..

It's not a high probability whatsoever.

Posted

Dont believe it is/was a hot fill. It has worked fine for the last 5 years, 3 in the Uk and 2 here.

@ YorkshireLad6 - we have now requested a breakdown of repairs, the damage caused and hours worked etc in writing. My question is then how do I find out if the report is accurate or not? He says he only changed the outside and that it is our machine on the inside. Assuming the report says the same thing, then how do I go about proving that he has in fact changed the whole machine?

Before it was taken away I took a picture of the sticker on the back with the model number etc on - so i have this. What I can´t seem to determine is if there is any corresponding number to this on the actual drum or motor. If there is and the number on ours is now different then I know it is a different machine.

As for it runnning, it has been fine since but it definately sounds different. I realise that this doesnt prove anything and could simply be due to the change in parts.

Thanks again

Posted

Once he has committed to describing his work in writing you'll need to have someone independently check it and compare the current state with what he has written (this will cost money). If they don't agree you have your evidence for a claim, which can include the cost of the independent survey. If they do agree, then you have to eat the cost of the survey yourself. Remember too that there is a risk he's actually improved the machine. You can't claim for that...

Personally if it still functions as a washing machine I'd let sleeping dogs lie. A poorly fitting tray may just be some distortion following disassembly and may be a small thing that the original repair guy is prepared to fix. "Different sounding" may be as a result of new bearings, or suspension.

Posted

the Bosch stamp that we can check to make sure that it is our Bosch machine and not a different/cheaper model.

Do you have the manual that came with your machine? It probably mentions the model number. You can then compare it with the model number on your machine's new "face" to get a preliminary indication as to whether they switched your machine with a cheaper model.

I personally wouldn't suspect foul play. The economics don't work out: if they indeed brought you a working German Bosch washing machine and kept a 5-year-old defective UK model, how much profit can they really expect to make by selling the latter on the second-hand market?

Posted

Ok, getting someone else to check it sounds like my only option. I thought that would be the last resort and had hoped to find other eveidence inside.

The problem is that I believe that the returned machine is not a Bosch at all, simply a cheaper alternative brand. I believe he has simply taken off the tray (facade with writing) from my Bosch and stuck it on another machine hence why the tray doesnt fit right and it sounds fifferent. When I queried him he originally said he had not done that, then he admitted he had changed the outside shell (because ours had been damaged) but that the inside was still my machine i.e a Bosch. That sounds like a lot of work to me. I want to be able to see or prove if the motor and drum are from a Bosch machine or not. I have the feeling and the fact he has already lied to me that he has simply put my facade on a cheaper machine therefore can only assume to make money who knows.

Posted

i think it very unlikely parts from different manufacture's machines would be compatible, and unlikely one could just switch the shell over.

parts such as the detergent tray may well fit different models of similar age, but different brands - unlikely.

Can you look up photos of your model and compare?

Is the sound worse or better? It has been serviced, so should sound better.