Worst bus route in Berlin

27 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm nominating the 171 as the worst autobus route in Berlin.

pro:

links kberg to the SXF

cons:

The infrequent service (2-4/h) makes adherence to the exact timetable critical, therefore lots of waiting to regulate, few people us it on long stretches, making the waiting seem pointless. Bus stops every 200m of the entire merangering length. Goes round back streets and very slow. Gets rammed with Italians at SXF that don't realise waiting an extra 2 mins for the X7 will get them to Rudow in a quater of the time. Terminates at Herman Platz instead of somewhere more central.

Posted

Completely disagree! LOL.

We live beside S Bahnhof Sonnenallee, so the 171 provides us with a 0 change route direct to the terminal at SXF (and being from Dublin, I would mostly be flying from there, not Tegel) which is very handy with luggage...no stairs up to the S Bahn or at Rudow up to the X7 etc. No walk at SXF itself. Great bus.

I would however never take it going northbound, because of its diversionary nature up to Lohmühlenplatz etc. rather than straight to Hermannplatz along Sonnenallee. Horse for courses and all that.

We will miss the 171 when BER opens as it is not due to run to the terminal any more, but rather terminate at the current airport S Bahn station, which is sort of pointless IMO as the 171 would bring quite a few airport employees to work. Halting short at the station seems to make no sense to me.

Posted

I second the 171, if for no other reason than that I'm still mad at it from back in the days when I used to travel all over the city for work, and had no choice but to rely on that route to get from point A to point B punctually. Why am I mad at it? It was either super full or super empty, and never, ever on time, often with two or three coming back to back.

I'm also an unfan of the M29, filthy, stinking thing that it is, and never on time, even when the stop you're waiting at is three stops from its starting point. Many is the time that I stood there like an idiot for half an hour, wondering wtf was taking so long. But I think I figured it out--Hermannplatz is where the driver takes his break, and a break he will take, even if he's already half an hour behind schedule.

Posted

I rarely used buses because the the U- and S-Bahns are close enough to walk to in almost all of central Berlin. I know people will disagree, but I believe that with a 10-15 minute walk you can almost always get to proper mass transit. (Yes I realize there are unique reasons to use it, however.)

The one route I used frequently, however, is the TXL. I hate it for oh-so-many reasons.

First, it has no luggage space whatsoever. Most buses designed for airport routes have large racks. But not in Berlin. I find it funny that the BVG claims that they "are spacious enough to accommodate lots of luggage." Horseshit!

Second, it is along a route that many people use as a commuting run, so you have dozens of locals attempting to ride it through Moabit while it's always packed to the gills.

Third, it's a stupid 'bendy bus' that is too long and the driver can never see the back and thus people never have enough time to get off.

Every time I used the TXL route all I could think was the taxi ride to my apartment was only 15EUR.

Posted

Get a 50cc Moped at only €50 odd euro a year to insure it works out cheap to run until the snow comes ;)

Posted

Bus 100. I avoid it like the plague. Always stuffed with confused or rude tourists. In the summer months it's too hot, and in the winter month it steams up the windows--either way I am guaranteed to feel nauseated. I'd rather take the U-Bahn to the zoo, Potsdamer Platz, or Alexanderplatz, or take bus 187 towards Moabit, and then just walk anywhere in between. Bus 200 isn't much better, but at least it's usually less full.

+1 on M29 being pretty awful.

M85 is crap between Dahlem and Rathaus Stieglitz whenever I've had to go in that direction. I've never had a wait less than 20 minutes in Dahlem, and the last time it was 40 minutes. When the bus arrives, it's somehow already full of people, fogged up windows, and there's always stopped traffic along Hauptstraße... If you take it in the direction of the Hbf, roughly Kleistpark to Hbf via Potsdamer Platz and the Gate, about 75% of the time the area in front of the Gate is closed off for whatever reason and the bus has to take the tunnel. When going from Hbf in reverse direction, the bus is almost always at least 10 minutes late (the blinking board time is irrelevant as several buses will turn to out-of-service in the time you stand there). Just a few stops into the trip you get to pick up people visiting the Reichstag. As a result, it gets crowded sweaty (nauseating) very quickly.

I can't complain too much, though, since things are still a lot better than anywhere I ever lived in the states.

Posted

638 starts at Rathaus in Berlin and heads to Potsdam. Filled with school kids who don't want to wait 5 minutes for the bus they should take. Proceeds to dump them off and then travel through 2 bumpy dorfs. Is usually filled with typical Potsdam-for-the-day tourists as well. The alternative to work in Potsdam is to take the bus, u-Bahn, S-bahn then tram. I finally got annoyed enough to buy a car. The algorithms I am using to counteract the driving obstacles seem to be working on most days. ;)

Posted

Bus 200 is much worse than bus 100. I almost smile sadistically every time that I see confused tourists in Michelangelostr, arguably not the most touristy part of Prenzlauer Berg (Plattenbau, etc.). But then I remember I would have to stand all the way up to this remote corner of the world, because of those bumbling sods visiting the wonders of the corner Storkower Str./Kniprodestr. (which could enter another thread here: ugliest corners in this very fine city).

Posted

Ah yeah, TXL is a balls alright. We had 2 bad experiences of it heading to Tegel. Never again. Also had very long wait for the M85 on Unter den Eichen recently.

Posted

My bad, I think when I said M85 in Dahlem I actually meant M48... but it's the same stop - Unter den Eichen. Out of curiosity I checked BVG, which claims that M-F the bus runs every ten minutes at that stop. ha.

Posted

Nearest buses to me are the M48 (Alexanderplatz - Zehlendorf + v.v.) and M85 (Hbf - Lichterfelde Süd + v.v.).

Until relatively recently, both services were fairly reliable, but not any more. During large parts of the day, each bus is supposed to run every 10 minutes, meaning that my stop (between Steglitz and Innsbrucker Platz) should get a bus every 5 minutes. That is now a joke - waits of 10 minutes or more are now common and in the evenings between about 16:30 and 19:00 the wait can be as much as 20 to 25 minutes, particularly southbound.

(Most of my journeys on these services are between Kaiser-Wilhelm Platz and Steglitz)

I suspect that it's roadworks leading to traffic-jams - as I say, until fairly recently - maybe the last 3 months or so - the service was much better.

Posted

Slightly off topic, but what is with the windows? The heating is always on full blast (rain or shine!) And it's so stuffy! I've heard that the drivers have to run the heating to keep the engine cool due to a lag in servicing... but I don't know how true that is! During the summer I was heavily pregnant & travelled on the M29 each day to work. Each morning I asked the driver if it possible to either turn down the heating upstairs OR open one of the windows. They always looked at me like I had 10 heads and said they couldn't help... I rejoyced if 1 of the windows could be opened. I lost count of the number of people who complain about the open window. I know there are 2 camps - window open / window closed. But sheesh, preggo, overheated lady opened the window all the way at the back...! But I guess I'm a basket case, but ordinarily I get motion sickness, never mind when I was pregnant... :-(

As for sitting downstairs, well you do have the benefit of fresh air via opening doors, but as the belly expanded it was driving me nuts how packed downstairs got.

Posted

Oh no, the buses are only every ten minutes and they've got people on them and they don't go the route I want and there's no space and there's too many tourists and there's evil schoolchildren and they're too hot or they're too cold and they're too expensive and, and, and...

First world problems, sheesh!

Posted

First world problems, sheesh!

yes, it's all relative.

Posted

yes, it's all relative.

Which is why I pointed out it's still better than anywhere I ever lived in the states... Aside from the price, also still better than in China.

Posted

I'd say the worst route was probably the one where the driver was all hopped up on cocaine and blowing traffic lights in Schöneberg...

Posted

Those of you who understand the beautiful language that is Berlinerisch, are probably delighted to listen to the drivers' witty comments to the passengers, muttering to themselves, etc.

Posted

I'd say the worst route was probably the one where the driver was all hopped up on cocaine and blowing traffic lights in Schöneberg...

Or the one where the driver had extreme road rage and, just to be an a**, crept up on a tiny vehicle double-parked in the bus lane - when three lanes on the left were completely traffic-free - just to blow the horn loudly and repeatedly, and then start a verbal match with the vehicle driver. That ride ended with me trying to exit and getting screamed at three times before finally figuring out the only door that worked was the middle one. I got yelled at once I got off, too, before the doors closed.

Posted

Bad one this evening - an M41 from Kreuzberg to Potsdamer Platz.

Bus was on time, plenty of seating space, no problems with the bus at all - except that I happened to be seated near four fellow-countrymen/women who were the loudest-mouthed little English pigfuckers it's ever been my misfortune to have had to listen to in all 5½ years in my adopted city.

"Ah, yah, it's like I dropped a tab of acid, like, and went to crash out in my friend's bed and like there was someone else there whose hand was all clammy and like I really freaked out."

"Yah, that happened to me and like I just dropped another tab, like."

What is it with this fucking "like"?

Posted

The 247 takes some beating for most ridiculous route and insane overcrowding, typically by Mums with 372 children and large pushchairs.

Actually, buses in general are fairly vile, though if pushed to pick a favourite route, I'd have to go with the 671 from Spandau to Nauen, that ambles its way through forests and small villages