Fritz box problem

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

Yesterday my DT supplied router died on us, so I replaced it with a Fritzbox 7390 router which should have a few bangs and whistles to keep us happy for the next few years.

But, I do have a problem which hopefully some of the clued up folk here may be able to help me with.

Basically, our analogue phone doesn't yet work. Here is the setup:

We have an ISDN line from D.T. and the new Fritzbox works fine with the internet.

* I have connected to the analogue Fon1 socket, our analogue phone. (This worked with the old DT router and according to the manual, should work with this one as well)

* I have set up an analogue phone device in the Fritzbox's configuration settings. It is a basic analogue setup and when it does a test ring, our analogue dect phone rings.

So, it sees the phone, but the phone can't call out or receive calls.

If I try to phone it, I get nothing more than message saying to try later as it's not available.

If I try to call out, I have a dial tone and can dial; the green (Internet-phone) light on our router lights up, but only a busy signal comes back.

I didn't try to set up an internet phone, so I am not sure if this lamp lighting up is good or not.

Anyone with ideas?

Posted

Cool, thanks for replying :o)

No, I have assigned my analogue phone to the analogue phone socket in the Fritzbox but I have not set up any MSN's (this is a standard POTS dect phone) What is this MSN you speak of?

Posted

You say you have an ISDN line with Deutsche Telekom. The MSNs (stands for Multiple Subscriber Numbering) are the phone numbers associated with your ISDN line. When you configure the ISDN base station (which is the Fritzbox in your case), you have to tell the Fritzbox what these phone numbers are and tell it to ring the analog phone when they are called.

Posted

This sounds like it could be the issue. I have looked through the manual, and there are three references to MSN, but none in the 7390 manual explains how to set my ISDN MSN number to my analogue.

I found in a 7170 manual how to do that, but the configuration settings on my 7390 don't have the fields that the 7170 mention. (I am also in the "expert" mode of the 7390 configuration)

It is a bit odd, as everything else in the 7390's configurations settings do seem to be quite straight forward. (in fact, it's a great router and has plenty of tweaking options)

Posted

Ok, I've found a setting where I can set an ISDN number, and another setting where I can create an analogue telephone assigned to the analogue FON1 port. Then, I can assign that port with the previously set MSN number.

Still doesn't work though, and the ISDN number doesn't have a green "active" icon to the left of it. I suspect this must somehow be active, but haven't worked out how to do this yet.

Posted

Update: Ok, I seem to have connected the phone and assigned the MSN. Man, it wasn't that straight forward and the manual never explained a thing.

Anyway, thanks El Jeffo for your help, it was the assigning of the MSN with the analogue phone.

Posted

Good that you have it working already.

I have the same 7390 & have 3 different handsets & a headset set up for use with it. None of them are actually plugged into the Fritzbox though.

The handsets just use the Fritzbox as a base station which reduces the amount of plugs & wires!

Very cool piece of kit actually & very user friendly. I can easily switch which handset rings for each number, block specific numbers & assign a different answering machine to each number. The integrated phone book also saves a lot of time compared to entering the numbers in the phone & means that all the handsets have access to it. You can even assign a different phone book to each handset.

Anyway, I found it a lot easier just using the Fritzbox itself as the base station. This obviously only works for cordless handsets.

Posted

The latest (Beta) firmware for the 7390 supports home automation, so I can now switch things on and off in my home from anywhere in the world. Scares the hell out of my neighbours :)

Posted

@Eric7,

Although I found the configuration instructions to set up an analogue phone onto the Fritzbox to be woefully inadequate, everything else was pretty much straight forward.

Once that hurdle was overcome, I also find the device to be excellent. I love all the ways I can monitor my network, as network issues have been a problem in our apartment since we moved in. The wifi strength is significantly stronger compared to my old Speedport 503V, though sadly not strong enough to reach the other side of the apartment, due to a very sturdy support wall. But that would be hoping for too much ;O)

There seems to be a lot of things that can be configured on this device, which I will no doubt have a lot of fun with in the next few weeks.

I'm not able to get full gigabit between my NAS and iMac (through the 7390) but that is likely to be the cabling in our apartment. It certainly isn't CAT6.

@YorkshireLad6, I'll love to know what type of home automation you have setup through this router. Always interested in stuff like that.

By the way. Anyone have a good iPhone/iPad app for the Fritzbox? I saw one in the store, which said it didn't work with the latest firmware (and wasn't free) but not sure if this is the best one.