Additional rental costs for a kitchen

12 posts in this topic

Posted

I've got an appointment to look at an apartment this weekend, and I smell a fish (not a real one, I don't like fish really).

I'm used to seeing adverts where there's either no kitchen included, or it is included, or you have to buy it from the previous tenant but this one has an extra charge of €60 per month for the kitchen (Küche wird zuzüglich mit mtl. 60,00€, Duplex-Garage mtl. 70,00€ berechnet).

Is this legal? I suspect it's a sneaky way for them to try and get an extra €60 per month rent, as the apartments were only built about 4 years ago and I am told that they came with a kitchen inclusive. What questions can I ask to see if they're trying to pull a fast one?

Thanks in advance.

Posted

I think you have the choice of taking/paying for their kitchen or not. Not sure how long you plan to be there but, if you want it, you may want to put a limit on how long you are willing to pay for it.

They may tend to rent to someone who takes it.

I have no idea if it's legal. Usually, people just charge more rent when the kitchen is included.

Posted

Without commenting on it's legality, I think renting the kitchen 'separately' makes the costs more honest. And, since you're renting it, are entitled to repairs, should anything break.

Posted

I think this is normal. When I look at my own rental contract, it's divided into Kaltmiete, Kuchenmiete (33 euros in my case), and betriebkosten for the heating and water. I needed the kitchen so I didn't care that it was listed separately.

I don't think refusing to pay for the kitchen is an option - they are hardly going to remove a fitted kitchen

Posted

I can't comment on the legality either - but I've found this to be quite common in very new flats, with a very new fitted kitchen.

Posted

Does it actually matter if the rent is split up like that? Isn't it more relevant if the total amount is acceptable for the apartment in question?

I do not know why they want to list the kitchen separately but maybe it is just so people won't take them when they move out.

Posted

ask me it sounds a bit like a tax dodge for the landlord

Posted

Unless this is a fantastic kitchen the rent sounds expensive to me. Most of the ones I've seen have been for about 30 € rent per month. Two years ago we purchased an average but nice kitchen with stove, dishwasher and frig and wall mounted cabinets for 1800 € and it was about 200€ for complete installation. For you to pay 720€ per year just to rent sounds like alot. If you go for it be absolutely sure the landlord pays for any repairs including frig and dishwasher because they will try to weasel out of it.

Posted

I guess the question is - Is the total rent reasonable/doable?

Posted

Does it actually matter if the rent is split up like that?

The Kaltmiete goes down so you pay less to the Makler and your Kaution is lower as well.

Posted

I would suggest that there might be some kind of mini-fiddle going on here.

for example, if the landlord wants to increase the rent, there is a limit to how much s/he can increase it by (not sure how much, but have 10% in mind - am sure somebody will chip in with the correct percentage).

Anyway, my thinking is that the rent has probably been increased by the permitted percentage, and that renting out the use of the kitchen seperately, the landlord/lady is avoiding having this actually "show up" as part of the increase...

(just a guess, you understand!)

I think, if you like the place, can afford it, and the landlord/lady would be willing to rent it to you, then take it!

Posted

By having an officially lower cold rent, the landlord will be able to raise the rent more easily in 3 years' time at the earliest.

He can raise it by max. 20% if this cold rent will in 3 years be below the Mietspiegel: http://www.mietspiegel-muenchen.de