Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Booking With Lufthansa Online

18 posts in this topic

Posted

If this has been announced somewhere I've missed it totally...

Booking flights today from Hamburg to LHR & back for end next week (funeral).

Filled forms out merrily until it comes to payment method - ITS GONE - my usual payment method of direct debit from my German bank account. Quick look in my Profile and my bank details are all there as method-of-payment. Quick call to the Hotline confirmed that "this method of payment no longer exists" and "dont know why it might not have been communicated". Had to swallow additional 16,- Eur for credit card method.

I'd at least have hoped that the profile might have had a red flag against the stored method of payment.

Anyone else come across this or seen some communication on this subject?

Posted

That's strange, I booked Lufthansa tickets online two days ago and paid by direct debit from my bank account (Banklastschrift).

They debited my bank account today:

post-24869-13536761802687.png

Posted

If its that recent it must be a case of going live prior to communicating.

Posted

Sorry to hear about your reason for travel, HEM.

Can you not just book via Expedia, etc.?

Posted

Sch....

But then the info from the Hotline was wrong.

Posted

You can pay without a fee using your EC card at the ticket desk at the airport. You just have to work out if the trip is worth it to save €16. Travel agent would probably charge you less as well, but it's so long since I booked a flight through an agent...

Still, the contradictory information from Lufthansa is nothing new. Entirely to be expected, and their IT is also infamously ropey. I've seen cases of business class fares that magically turn into economy right at the end of the procedure, naturally without the price being downgraded to match.

Posted

You must love the TT research department :-)

Posted

Well it came up with the reason for my problem. The LH booking web could have been more user-friendly by having the direct debit button visible but disabled with a red message alongside along the lines of "you're too late - 8 days limit!"

Posted

Well it came up with the reason for my problem.

That's exactly what I meant! I really DO LOVE it :-). It was not sarcastic at all.

Posted

You can pay without a fee using your EC card at the ticket desk at the airport. You just have to work out if the trip is worth it to save €16.

I had to purchase a same-day flight at the Munich airport recently and the very nice travel agent told me to not use my credit card if possible due to the high fees. He gladly accepted my EC payment and I could spend the €16 on a nice Schweinsbraten and Weißbier lunch with a friend at the Airbräu.

Posted

From what I know, online tickets (I always bought them weeks/months ahead) can be paid with an EC-Card with Lufthansa online.

But, only if the ticket is for you, the holder of the EC-Card.

As soon as you want to book two tickets, you need a creditcard to pay online.

Options are any travel agency. They sell it for maybe +30 euro more, but you can pay in cash, maybe also with EC-Card.

Posted

In this case I was booking for myself & my wife (funeral of aunt next Friday in Oldham - she was 92). In case someone wonders why we are flying to LHR - my brother lives in that area, we stay the night with him & drive up the M6...

Posted

Sorry, but no.

I bought tickets for myself and somebody else and paid by bank debit (Lastschrift).

The only conditon is that the flight is at least 8 days in the future, to give Lufthansa time to see that they really got that money before the flight.

Posted

I would have thought that even with German banks they'd have their hands in the fundage in much less time than that.

Posted

One more new condition regarding credit cards/EC cards - if your total is over 1500 Euros, you also have to use a credit card. Hubby even has a Lufthansa credit card and we still got slammed with the 16 Euros per ticket fee. He called and complained to no avail - Lufthansa just allows the credit card company to use their name but they do not own the card.

Expedia would not have saved us money - they also tack on the 16 Euro surcharge. Not pleased about this change - but also still the best option for flights to the East Coast for us.