How to get X-rays & CT scan results from hospital

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi. I am very frustrated again with the hospital I got operated in the last few weeks... Am hoping it just look weird because it is my first experience in any hospital ever and me having no clue...

So, in the last 2 weeks or so, I have had a CT scan and about 10 X-rays done in the hospital I got operated at. I asked 2 nurses, 1 assistant (?), and 3 doctors who helped me during my stay there if I could keep the X-rays for myself as I maybe moving away anytime in the future. The assistant was like, "oh, sure, you will get them, no worries", and the others were sure I would get them, except one doctor who gave me a tip to go to the hausarzt to get them for free, as I would have to pay 5€ for each X-ray if I were to ask the hospital directly. So I went to the hausarzt, explained the situation and he gave me "überweisung" for the X-ray (I am not sure at this point if it was for a particular X-ray or for all). I brought it to the hospital and they made a copy of one X-ray, not on a disk, but was a real X-ray copy (you know on a transparent sheet with thick paper/plastic frame...). I was a bit shocked as I saw my friends' X-rays on disks before. But then, I was in Germany, and maybe this country still operates like that... Then, at the last check up at the hospital, they made another x-ray so I asked to have it. The doctor told me it is 5 €, so i said I would pay that happily. I waited in the waiting room for 15 minutes or so, and what I got was a paper copy that the doctor already scribbled on with her pen (that marking, I did not see till today).

But today, I went to another hospital to get a second opinion for my case, and the doctor there could not believe what I brought him. The paper copy was totally not acceptable (especially with the marking, he could not even see the details), and, all in all, I need to get a CD with all the CT-scans, X-rays, or whatever that they made. I told him the story and he just said to me to pay whatever and get them, as without it no one can do nothing...

So, is it normal to get such a CD here in Germany (Munich)? What was the issue then, at the first hospital I got operated at?

And, I am a bit afraid how much the whole CD will cost me if I cannot get "überweisung" from the hausarzt for it... One X-ray photo on a piece of a copy paper with scribbles costs 5€... I had nearly 10 taken, plus I have no idea how many separate photos one CT-scan can make... Or, maybe I should just get radiated again and let the insurance pay...

Any advise appreciated...

Thanks.

Posted

I asked for the x-rays of my teeth (about four of them in total) and they came on a plastic sheet.

Maybe it's easier that way. You can always look at the plastic sheet but if the computer software is not compatible with the software of the photos or if the computer is broken on that particular day, then you're stuffed.

Posted

My Drs gave me my X-Rays on a CD when I asked for them- they belong to you. I paid nothing to get them. 5 years ago, I had them on film, but in the last two years always on CD.

Including the dental x-rays of the while family sent to me by e-mail yesterday (as all the records were-we are moving and asked for them) without charge.

Posted

they belong to you.

Legally they don't. You're only legally entitled to a copy if required for further treatment, though that doesn't refer to a particular format either.

There is no official regulation of the cost of this to you, in theory the doctor/hospital can demand whatever he wants for the pictures.

@OP: Have the Hausarzt write up a letter saying he needs the copies for your further treatment, and have him include that he'd prefer them in digital format.

Posted

I had to fill out a form before I got a CT scan and it asked wether I wanted them on film or CD. Seemed like the usual procedure, and I didn't have to pay for it.

Posted

As she suffers from brittle bone disease (Glas Knochen in German) my wife is no stranger to hospitals and x-rays, in fact her broken bone count currently stands at somewhere over 150 ...

Anyway, each time she comes out of hospital, or even the local x-ray & scan centre, they automatically present her with a summary of trwatment and medication in the form of a letter for her doctor, plus a CD containing all x-rays and scans. In fact I copy the letter(s) and after her doctor has seen the CD even he gives it back and they all reside in our health folder at home.

I don't know why your local hospital appears to be more awkward and different.

Malty

Posted

Maybe it's better to communicate in writing if you're having trouble getting what you want. You could phone the department where the X-rays were done, get their e-mail address and write to them asking for the X-rays, preferably on CD or as an electronic file. If they can't do that or if the existing X-rays are unusable for your 2nd opinion doctor, you'll have a written reply which you can show him/send him. He can then presumably decide whether to contact the hospital himself or refer you to be X-rayed again somewhere else.

Whenever I have had X-rays done at my local hospital, they have provided them on CD. I had a CT scan done last year, and the results were also made available electronically. There was no charge.

Posted

I'm a sports therapist and regularly have clients that need scans etc. the format they get a copy in depends on where they go but actually getting a copy is never an issue (as said above its usually automatic). One guy forgot to get a copy from a hospital so we went back the next day and they did us a CD in about ten minutes. I've no idea why your hospital is different to all the others.

Posted

And I have no idea why Kato seems to think they don't belong to you. Every dr I have had here in Germany seems to think they do. Every one has given them to me (including handing me the awkward and unwieldy MRI films, which I was in no shape to carry). So I'll go with the multiple facilities and hospitals here who seem to think they are mine by right (which does not state that they could not charge a small "media fee" if they wanted to).

Posted

And I have no idea why Kato seems to think they don't belong to you.

He doesn't "seem to think", he is completely correct.

X-ray and scan data legally belong to the doctor who made them, but they can't unreasonably be withheld from the patient (Landgericht Flensburg Az 1 S 16/07), and in fact many volunteer them a copy as you have already found. That doesn't transfer ownership to you, however.

Posted

True. Back in the old days they would loan you the x-rays to take to another doctor but you had to return them.

Posted

Thanks all for sharing your experiences and information.

My issue was solved this morning and I got the copy for FREE. Very strange though.

I went to the hausarzt the first thing in the morning, got the "überweisung" again from him (he told me to come back to him right away if they refuse to give me the copy) and brought it to the hospital. I showed the scribbled paper copy to the receptionist at the department I got operated at and told her sternly and loudly enough (which I hate to do) that it is not acceptable. She then told me that she is not sure if this paper copy is from them, and so on, and when I told her again that I need all the xrays and CT scan results, she sent me to the Xrays archive located in the same hospital. They produced a disk with all the results in 15 min., and when I asked how much it would have costed me if I did not have the "überweisung" from my hausarzt, she said it is free and I do not need any "überweisung". One woman at the xray archive even called the department that charged me 5€ to make sure that I did not get wrongly charged, and she was also quite surprised to find out that they actually do. All within the same hospital.

The xray archive is only 5 min. walk within the same hospital. I tried to think it was the language problem or not knowing the system in Germany, but it is beyond me why more than 5 professionals could not even suggest the existence of the xray archive...

A friend's mom (german and former nurse) was so upset with the whole thing when I told her son what happened...

thanks again.

Posted

Thanks fraufruit :) . you have a nice weekend too!