A vegetarian xmas

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys.

I'm celebrating xmas here this year and wondered if anyone could offer me any advise as to where to pick up good vegetarian products in or around oberhausen/essen/dusseldorf.

I'm looking for something similar to "Quorn" to replace the usual turkey. I'm going to have nut roast (a brill idea from another topic on the forum) but I was hoping for something with more substance (:

Thanks

A

Posted

my farmer neighbor has a Turkey, 100% vegetarian.

It tried to eat the dog more than once, but the farmer made sure it didn't happen. The dog is alive and well, i can testify. Not sure where he is right now though.

The result is of course not perfect, i.e. the meat is a little blend, taste too much like chicken. But if you are looking for a vegetarian Turkey, i think this is the best you can find. PM me :)

post-27831-13535735692738.jpg

Posted

This sounds quite nice:

Christmas savoury strudel

[admincopyright][/admincopyright]

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMPAIGNS/vegetarianism/ALL/658/

Posted

Öko-Markt Schadowplatz in Düsseldorf has a great variety of veges etc :) in Düsseldorf there's plenty of Bio supermarkets

I think making a vege pie or a quiche is a really nice idea. Irish Lassie that strudel sounds delicious, drool!!

Posted

Have you tried or heard of these places?

Pfau (Düsseldorf)

http://www.vegan-wonderland.de (Dortmund online- shop )

Posted

Wow! Thanks for the help. Stuff the quorn, I'm making that savory strudel! It looks Gorgeous (:

Posted

Hi Alice,

If you like veg dishes and want some good and different veg then try out the Indian Shop ( Kashmir )in Essen, they also have a shop in Düsseldorf.

It is near the Hauptbahnhof in Essen- opposite the Main Post Office where the old McDonald used to be.

They have a big variety on veg, spices, snacks, ready made meals etc.

Regards

Nick

Posted

Cheers nick! Love Indian food too XD

Posted

Welcome Alice ;) - If you want some good receipes let me know and you can cook some great authentic Indian meals :)

If you like Samosas then they have these frozen ready to deep fry at the Indian shop - 20 pcs for € 6,99

Posted

Fantastic! Will be sure to drop a message when I'm next planning a culinary experiment :P

Posted

Well as long as I get in invite, I will not mind helping to cook ;)

Posted

Ain't no Quorn here. Ain't none of the Morningstar Farms and other similar fake meats you find in the US. Chinese markets are also unaware of the various fake meats available in US & UK Chinese markets.

The easiest solution is Chinese/Indian/pasta, but you're trying to emulate a more traditional Western dinner. The nut roast and strudel may work for you but you can make your own "chicken" with available ingredients. Here are two recipes:

* http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2010/05/chinese-vegetarian-chicken-with-simple-five-spice-sauce.html

* http://vegweb.com/recipes/buddhist-mock-roast-chicken-and-loose-chicken-meat

I used to make fake chicken in a somewhat similar manner, but with many more layers of tofu skin, each layer washed with some very thin cornstarch solution into which some veggie bullion and a hint of 5-spice was added. I also wrapped the resulting roll very tightly in cling film and steamed it for about 45 minutes before doing the final bits of cooking. The gravy needs a strong flavour: slowly saute & cook down a lot of onions (takes 20 minutes, not 5), then add some bullion (there are kosher "meat" bullions which are actually vegan) and thicken with roux/toasted flour/potato starch.

woof.

Posted

I'm guessing you've guessed to avoid any kind of processed vegetarian food, like patties or sausages or tofu loafs. As a general rule these are awful.

Posted

my farmer neighbor has a Turkey, 100% vegetarian.It tried to eat the dog more than once, but the farmer made sure it didn't happen. The dog is alive and well, i can testify. Not sure where he is right now though.The result is of course not perfect, i.e. the meat is a little blend, taste too much like chicken. But if you are looking for a vegetarian Turkey, i think this is the best you can find. PM me post-27831-13535735692738.jpg

I appreciated that - even if no-one else did!

Posted

There is an "international shop" in düsseldorf. Its just behind the Deutsche Post building near hbf. I think its on Kurfürstenstraße. They stock quorn in this shop! It will cost you a little more than back home but it's totally worth it in my opinion :)