Former employer/contractor defamed me to customer

14 posts in this topic

Posted

So, I probably should be embarrassed by this, but I'm not. After reminding him for six weeks that he had to renew a customer, the director of the McLanguage school to whom I contracted for just one customer has fired me. That's ok. C'est la vie. Life goes on. He only provided me with about EUR400 income per month and I can easily walk away from it.

Today, though, the customer informed me that the director said I did not teach the program and that is why I was fired. This is a customer with whom I enjoy a strong business and personal relationship so we talked very openly about the entire issue. She knew I had asked the director to send a new contract and she was cc'd on the emails. Of course, her first response was, "Then why did all the students pass their tests?" He had no answer.

I'm peeved. I am not going to do anything about this other than ask your opinion and rail for a moment quite impotently on the internet knowing full well and good that I haven't the stomach to take him to court. So, since I have all of his evaluations for four years stating quite categorically that I was performing according to a high standard, did he defame me under German law?

So, I will cheerfully take the mocking of jaycool and anyone else so long as it comes with at least a little information. You will get no misplaced anger from me tonight. Have at it.

Posted

He lied, but you gave the right response. Put him behind you.

Posted

Ditto. Step ahead instead moving back.

Posted

Of course, you're both right 100%.

In part, I am annoyed because this is just not a nice feeling. It offends both my idea of integrity and my sense of fair play. Secondarily, and this is hard for many people to understand, this is a young guy (30) and sheer human compassion makes me feel terrible that he has made such a big mistake that, in the end, has cost him both the client who would have continued without question and the freelancer who did nothing but increase business with this customer at the top rate. I remember being a young person in business and not being very, ahem, accepting of critique so I feel somehow that I have failed by not better communicating to him without offending him why I was trying to move him to act.

Posted

Live and learn on both sides.

Posted

Honeychild, he's the one who made the wrong decision and then dissed you. Stop beating yourself up.

Posted

It should come as no surprise that the director/franchisee of a McLanguage school is a total douchebag.

It wasn't cool of him to lie to the customer, but you responded directly and honestly, so now the customer thinks he's a douchebag, too. You have come out ahead of the deal on all accounts.

BTW, I believe you'd only have a case against him anyway if his slanderous remarks resulted in you losing business, which wasn't the case. It's strictly a civil matter.

As others have said, chalk it up to experience and put it behind you. He doesn't deserve to have hardworking people like you as employees.

Posted

Reminds me of a poem my coach once wrote for us in Texas

Rising up, back on the street

did my time, took my chances

went the distance, now back on my feet

just a man and his will to survive...

Posted

The wazzocks are out there, trying to survive by whatever means they can. Those who are struggling will sometimes even shit on you and think it makes them look better. Which is weird logic.

He wanted rid of you for whatever reason and had to come up with something. It doesn't make his lame excuses valid.

Posted

Maybe I've misunderstööd the situation, but wouldn't this be an ideal opporunity for the Op to carry on working for the client company, missing out the middleman?

Posted

I think that's actually what has happened, as noted by OP here:

Dear McLanguage School, Thank you so much for cancelling my contract today. Two months ago when the customer asked me to contract privately, I told them that, while I was not bound by any anti-poaching clause, I would feel ethically remiss in taking their business from you. Now that you have gotten all butthurt about my reminders regarding renewal contracts, I am happy to report that not only can you keep the measly sum you would have paid me for the next 10 weeks of lessons, but also that you have well and finally screwed yourself with the client and you will not receive the FOUR new groups that I had lined up for you for next year. I have taken those for myself.

Good job there, you stupid, egotistical little boy.

Thanks for the extra 25k.

Posted

that coach definitely understood the eye of the tiger, perdido

Posted

You did the right thing.

This person does not value his reputation. Everybody values personal integrity in relationships and by saying what he said he is demonstrating to his clients he has none.

Posted

Thanks, guys. I guess I come from the school of thought that insists that everyone in a bad situation take their share of the responsibility. Yes, I did take the client. Yes, he has made a disaster of this. However, no, it has not cost me money. In fact it made me a lot more money.

Joe, I wish what you said was true.

Thanks, everyone, for letting me piss and moan about it.