Does the government help with relocation costs?

45 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

I moved from UK to Germany due to my company putting me in a position in Germany.

I have a German contract now and get paid into my Germany bank account.

I dont have any savings so it is hard for me to get my own apartment because i am in talks with someone and they need 900€ for there furniture and the landlord needs 1350€ for deposit and also 670€ rent upfront.

How can i move into this property and have sufficient furniture to live?

Appreciate the help

Luke

Posted

Your company sent you, Poolfanatic, didn´t they? Why aren´t they helping? Or have you maybe not asked them to help?

Posted

Tbh not asked them and would prefer not to so i dont feel like they owe me something, plus i want to do it on my own.

Posted

For now, take out a loan.

You will get a bit of your income tax back because of the move. You will however have to do a tax return for this, see posts no. 682 and no. 577 in Filing a tax return

Posted

I dont have any savings so it is hard for me to get my own apartment because i am in talks with someone and they need 900€ for there furniture and the landlord needs 1350€ for deposit and also 670€ rent upfront.

Your company (if you're lucky - but push them as hard as you can to give you something at least). Otherwise, if you have no savings then you're going to have to find a loan somewhere (maybe from your UK bank before you officially "leave" UK?). And try hard to pay it off as soon as possible because debt is not fun. Deposit can often be paid in two or three instalments - ask. No obligation normally to take over someone else's furniture so if you can't afford it say sorry but no.

Read through the thread and wiki on tax returns to find out exactly what costs you will be able to set off in your first German tax return. Better to know and make sure you have the right receipts etc. before it's too late. You still need to pay for everything upfront but at least you might get something back next year.

and have sufficient furniture to live?

Lower your ideas of what constitutes sufficient furniture drastically. Didn't you have another thread about getting hold of furniture? Take the advice given there. If you're on your own (although if I recall correctly you want a wife/partner and baby to join you?) then a mattress to sleep on and maybe a chair to sit on and a lamp to see in the dark is enough for a few weeks anyway. Not fun, but it's enough. Wash your dishes in the bathroom sink for a while if there's no kitchen. Buy a two-ring hotplate (not expensive, I think I paid around 20 euro for one when I first moved here) for cooking. It's getting colder now so you can manage without a fridge if you don't buy too much stuff.

Posted

Tbh not asked them and would prefer not to so i dont feel like they owe me something, plus i want to do it on my own.

And with all due respect (and knowing how hard it is), please try to get over this attitude. If they want you there and you are doing them a favour by staying there (even if it is also something that you want to do), why shouldn't they cover some of the expenses of you relocating?

Posted

Hi Jeanie,

Thanks for the advice however i think i need at least 2100€ to move in and my family can move out in the new year. I cannot get a loan in the UK now because i dont have proof of letters and bills from the last 3 months due to me moving here. Would you have thought i could get a loan or anything? I have been here since 1st august and got my german contract on 1st november and have my german account but not had mywages paid into it yet, i have my work contract and my meldebechinegung

Posted

Jeanie, i dont mean to come across like that. Basically when i was employed from the UK office they promised me the moon and now i have a german contract the truth has come out and i am struggling.

Posted

I have a suggestion, get married in the UK before moving your family here --> instant higher net salary.

You can calculate the effect with this online wage tax calculator:

• single = tax category I
  • married = tax category III

Posted

That is a very good point, i have been with my girlfriend over 10 years. She has for a while been saying lets get married and i have put it off as long as i can so dont feel like i can turn round to her and say babe lets get married but not to expensive just in a local registry office and then a due in the evening, she will tell me where to go? :)

Posted

Just do the registry office bit now and postpone the big party to when you are on your feet again financially.

Posted

Could do i suppose? but then things get even more complicated dont they. If we get married in the UK and she doesnt move over here yet with my son, can i still claim class 3 tax

Posted

That is a very good point, i have been with my girlfriend over 10 years. She has for a while been saying lets get married and i have put it off as long as i can so dont feel like i can turn round to her and say babe lets get married but not to expensive just in a local registry office and then a due in the evening, she will tell me where to go?

Tell her Panda recommended it! ( Disclaimer: best tell her Panda is a MALE tax advisor on Toytown! You don´t want to get involved in jealousy discussions!! ) :D

Posted

Yep exactly John, you can imagine what must be going through her head already me being here on my own ;)

Could you help me with health insurance? plz

@Panda, so in idiot terms what do you mean?

Posted

Poolfanatic: I can help you with health insurance if you send me an email to establish contact. It´s for legal reasons - I´m not allowed to and don´t want to do cold acquisition.

By the way, what ARE you doing on your own? :D

Disclaimer: you can get caught out these days easily if you go astray! Internet/emails/ Skype/ cameras everywhere!

Second disclaimer: I got caught WITHOUT modern technology!!! Same beach..twice!!!

Third disclaimer: I sound like FarmerAndy..but I´m not!! Love the guy anyway!!!

Posted

@Panda, so in idiot terms what do you mean?

Should your wife decide to stay in the UK:

1. You will be taxed as a single (tax category I) throughout the year.
  2. Your wife will fill in the form Anlage EU/EWR and get it stamped by the UK tax department, attesting that she only had income of £... in 2012.
  3. You attach this stamped form Anlage EU/EWR to the other tax forms of your tax return and hand it in to the German tax department
  4. After about 2 months, you will get back the difference in income tax for 2012 between being single (tax category I) and being married (tax category III)

Posted

Deposit can often be paid in two or three instalments - ask.

It is definitely possible to pay the deposit in 3 installments, see Mietkaution:

Er (the tenant) darf die Kaution in drei Monatsraten zahlen. Die erste Rate ist bei Beginn des Mietverhältnisses fällig.

Even if the contract says something else, politely point out to the landlord that you have the right to pay in installements. The first one is due at the start of the lease, the rest the following 2 months.

Posted

So i can move into the property and the landlord should let me pay in 3 installments.

I will email you John, can you give me your email address?

Panda, what is your email address?

BTW i flipping love this site, it is so useful

Posted

It´s info@gunn-partner.de, Poolfanatic. And if you have skype, it´s john.gunn3 ( but remind me to put on shirt beforehand! ).

By the way, Poolfanatic.I know you´re a pool/billiards fan..next week I´m away for a few days at the North Sea in a hotel on a seminar..and they have the lousiest table you can imagine!

It´s in the bar downstairs and they bought it 20 years ago when my seminar partner and I complained they didn´t, erm, have one! ( Hint: no chalk mostly! ) :D

Posted

Yeah i can only imagine John, i love the game, some of the guys round here looked gone out at me, i broke and cleared the table without them having a shot and they thought i had cheated lol. My skype is lcolliversscs

Posted

... best tell her Panda is a MALE tax advisor on Toytown!

Sorry, but I am not a tax advisor, so I can't do your tax return for you.

There are some pretty drastic laws in Germany allowing only people who have passed a special tax advisor exam to give tax advice.

I suggest you let this non-profit association of tax advisors in Neu-Isenburg do your tax return for you:

Vereinigte Lohnsteuerhilfe

map

They will cost less than a freelance tax advisor and charge according to your total yearly gross income:

post-24869-13535344485224.png

Posted

Skype ME, Poolfanatic! You need to know someone´s email address for that. Plus: the initiative has to come from you for legal reasons.

By the way: I´m lousy at all the games ( I blame the table, of course! ) :)

Posted

Sorry, but I am not a tax advisor, so I can't do your tax return for you.

There are some pretty drastic laws in Germany allowing only people who have passed a special tax advisor exam to give tax advice.

I suggest you let this non-profit association of tax advisors in Neu-Isenburg do your tax return for you:

Vereinigte Lohnsteuerhilfe

map

They will cost less than a freelance tax advisor and charge according to your total yearly gross income:

post-24869-13535344485224.png

I know, Panda, you´re not a tax advisor etc but you´re bloody brilliant!