German book reading & discussion club

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everybody!

We (a British-German group of three) would like to start a GERMAN book reading and discussion club in Munich. Therefore we're looking for three more people to join us who would love to read a contemporary book and meet up afterwards to discuss it (in German of course :) ). Our first meet-up is going to take place on Sunday 16 December at 3 pm, probably in the Rotkreuzplatz area (exact location will be posted a few days before the meet-up).

If you are interested please sign up below:

1 -3 K&L

Furthermore you are welcome to suggest a book which we could read by 16 December. (As time is flying by, a thinner book would be better.)

Suggestions can be made up until Sunday 25 November, then we have time to vote up until Sunday 2 December - that gives us two more weeks to read the book. :)

So far, our first thoughts are:

- "Russendisko" / "Russian Disco" by Wladimir Kaminer

- "Tschick" by Wolfgang Herrndorf

Posted

Good morning!

I would love to join you, but I am German?! Is it ok to join you? As to books I am open for any book.

Christine

Posted

Sure, you're welcome to join us! :)

Posted

I'll be there.

I've read Russendisko a while back. hence it's the easy choice to make for the December book meet. Tschick is a book i've been wanting to get to but haven't yet, so this'd be a good excuse to have to read it.

1 -3 K&L

4 Ophelia_30

5 S12

Posted

Die Wand by Marlen Haushofer has been recommended to me...

Posted

Ok then, let's vote up.. :)

"Tschick" by Wolfgang Herrndorf

Posted

This vote counts for one person only. :) Please cast your votes, too.

Posted

So are we reading Tschick?

Sorry, I forgot to vote!!

x

Posted

It's cancelled?! Oh, I am sorry. You planning another meetup?

Posted

I'd be interested in joining too. It says I'm German in my passport, but I've been out of the country (USA, South-Africa) for so long that it's slipped to my second language. I'd like to read more in German again. I recently moved back to Munich (Gauting) after 12 years in Chicago.

I don't have a suggestion for a first book but what about something that was shortlisted for this year's or a recent Deutsche Buchpreis? http://www.deutscher-buchpreis.de/de/483040

Posted

I would be interested in Joining too. I bought Tschick over the summer but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Any chance there will be a meet-up in January?

Posted

If there is a meeting in January I would love to join you. Any date you are already considering?