Making Thanksgiving Dinner

25 posts in this topic

Posted

Alright y'all, I have to make Thanksgiving dinner.

It's my favorite holiday and I'm going to make it happen dammit.

I already found my turkey so no problems there.

But where shall I source pumpkin? I have been hitherto unable to find canned pumpkin so I guess real ones will have to be tackled.

Cranberries?

Cream of mushroom soup?

Cornbread?

I saw on an expat blog elsewhere in the country that they had good luck finding familiar American food items at Galeria Kaufhof. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I would also love to hear if anyone knew of any restaurants that plan of providing a special dinner, although I know that's a far fetched hope.

Any other tips?

Posted

I'm borrowing what Gen posted on a very similar thread in the RLP forum.

Please see also the TT Guide pages: originally written for Munich in several cases, but they often include translations of food terms, recipes, and information on online shops and national chains.

British and American Foods

Mexican Food

Where to buy Thanksgiving dinner ingredients

Where to buy Christmas dinner ingredients

Brown Sugar

Flour

Vanilla Extract

Baking soda

More Baking Soda

Corn Syrup

And the

Where to Buy Page

Posted

I appreciate the effort to help.

I had already searched and seen those posts but I do not feel that they are terribly relevant.

They are in different cities and one thread is 9 years old!

The stores listed are in Munich and do not exist here.

Does the Galeria Kaufhof here sell food? The website does not seem to suggest so.

The suggestion of jarred Preiselbeers is good though. Is that available at most groceries?

Posted

Try Karstadt at the Lorenzkirche, 2nd floor underground. I don't think that Kaufhof Königstr. has a food department any more, but the Karstadt one is huge.

Even 9 year old threads have useful information, such as translations or alternative items.

If you don't want to cook, try the GAMC dinner at the Mercure.

Posted

Thank you Katrina.

I will try the Karstadt.

I saw the GAMC Dinner too but I was looking for something tomorrow, actual Thanksgiving. We will be in Cologne this weekend.

Posted

What the Hell are you gonna do with cream of mushroom soup?

Posted

Mushroom soup goes into the green bean casserole.

Posted

That sounds funky. But I guess a packet of Maggi Champignon something or other would do the trick.

Posted

I bought canned pumpkin from amazon. It came in 3-4 days. We're not celebrating until the 1st December, so if you are cooking for Thursday, that's probably not an option. There are some condensed cream of mushroom soups out there in the can, but you can make your own super easy. Can you cook like a real Southerner? Make some country gravy, what Northerners call a "white sauce" and sautee some mushrooms with butter and Worcestershire sauce. Add together, and ta da! Cream of mushroom soup. Make the gravy especially thick so it has the consistency of condensed soup. I will never ever use a can of soup again after making my own. I've found cranberries at Real, but haven't seen them this year. Glad I froze some from last year.

Posted

I got a jar of preiselbeeren at Rewe but also saw some at Aldi today. Fresh cranberries seem to be in all the markets if you want to make your own.

Use the packets of dried mushroom soup, but only use half the liquid, so that is thick like a can of soup would be before you added milk.

Use the pumpkin pie recipes that are here on TT. Easy peasy.

Posted

Alright y'all, I have to make Thanksgiving dinner.

It's my favorite holiday and I'm going to make it happen dammit.

I already found my turkey so no problems there.

But where shall I source pumpkin? I have been hitherto unable to find canned pumpkin so I guess real ones will have to be tackled.

Cranberries?

Cream of mushroom soup?

Cornbread?

I saw on an expat blog elsewhere in the country that they had good luck finding familiar American food items at Galeria Kaufhof. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I would also love to hear if anyone knew of any restaurants that plan of providing a special dinner, although I know that's a far fetched hope.

Any other tips?

I just make pumpkin from scratch, you can get pumpkins at most Turkish supermarkets and the bigger REWEs seem to have them.

Cranberries are available at REWE here.

I have never seen cream of mushroom soup in condensed form other than on expensive mail-order places. I have used this recipe to substitute cream of mushroom soup with success. Cream of Mushroom substitute

Cornbread, you'll have to do it yourself. Go to a Turkish supermarket for cornflour, it is called mısır unu in Turkish, it seems to be the closest to the American stuff.

Posted

What the Hell are you gonna do with cream of mushroom soup?

Mushroom soup goes into the green bean casserole.

Apparently the recipe was developed by Campbells in the 50s as part of their efforts to convince people that there were lots of delicious things you could make using their products. Because people generally knew how to cook using just plain non-processed foods they had to develop recipes that used their processed products. I know I used to use their chicken soup as a sauce for chicken pie (great one, topped with a layer of potatoes covered by a layer of squashed up cheese and onions crisps mixed with breadcrumbs and grated cheese) until I learned how to cook properly. Can't stand the stuff now.

Posted

Cannot agree enough. When stateside I miss certain products from Germany when I cook. I guess more exact would be the process of making it like I do in Germany. A can of soup is one thing I cannot eat anymore back in Oregon. Now after saying that I also miss the day before T-day because everyone is in town and instead of getting pissed with strangers at the pub I can get pissed with friends...U-S-A ,U-S-A ,U-S-A ,U-S-A .

Go Cowboys!

Posted

I'm assuming you're making Green Bean Casserole with the Cream of Mushroom Soup, I would suggest using this recipe if you can't find it. Happy Turkey Day!

Posted

I really don't see the point in making the green beans creamy and mushroomy... but I guess it's "tradition". The Panko recipe above looks decent!

Posted

Yes, IF you're going to make it, then from scratch. I've never actually had green bean casserole, it wasn't part of our Thanksgiving menu. My green beans prefer to be bundled up in bacon before they meet their demise.

Posted

I usually make brussel sprouts with bacon (or pancetta) and vary other ingredients such as apple, chestnuts, etc. I make green beans all the time, so it doesn't feel very special!

I need to make one more stop at the store... SO dreading it! Yesterday was already a nightmare, especially with Jr in tow. CROWDED

And I think I'm going to make my pie today instead of tomorrow. Pumpkin Orange Mascarpone, yum! Still debating on whether I should do the ginger snap or a standard crust. westvan?... what say you?

Posted

OK! I found some "triple ginger" snaps yesterday. I think that will be easier than knifing pastry. And maybe I can avoid the store today, now that I won't need Crisco. Thanks for making this a better day already! I've been suffering with a terrible cold [and bad mood] for days, so any excuse for a few shortcuts. ;)

Posted

I do what I can. :lol: Get well soon!

Posted

Deffo ginger snap!

Hope you feel better soon - that pie is bound to help. :)

Posted

I'm not a green bean casserole fan, but a couple of years ago I had one that was delicious. I found out later tht the secret ingredient was Velveeta processed cheese, which isn't even food!

In my family Thanksgiving is a movable feast. My father was born on Thanksgiving and my brother was born the day between Thanksgiving and my father's birthday. Since so many people work odd hours, The Fuenflings and I are driving up to the Sacramento area on Saturday, where we'll feast with Frau Daughter #1's family.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, no matter when you celebrate.

Posted

Rewe also has some American foods. There is also a place in Oberasbach called PC Icebox.

I use powder soup packages for these type of recipes.

Cranberries can be found in jars. Preiselbeeran is the German word.

Cornbread, I have not been able to find a scratch recipe that is worth the trouble. Jiffy is one of the things I import.

Posted

I ended up getting everything from Zara Markt and the Karstadt.

OMG I love the Karstadt! I wish I had found it sooner!

I found cranberries there.

Found regular mushroom soup and used that + cream.

Brined the turkey, it was great.

Made my own stuffing from bread from a Backerei.

Gave up on cornbread.

Ran out of time to do anything with a pumpkin.

Will attempt later.

Thanks guys! It was great. Just me, my husband, and one other expat, but the food was as good as I could have ever expected.