Astra 2F and Astra 2E - New satellites arrive

815 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all just thought Id let you know that the new satellite Astra 2F has now arrived at its correct position and will probably begin transmissions over the rest of this month. All public servicing broadcasters etc BBC ITV will move onto the new spotbeam for the UK. What this means for Uk tv reception in Germany is anyones guess- albeit most commentators believe that fringe reception will become more difficult and those in the east may find reception more difficult than now. For the technically minded read www.satellites.co.uk where it has been reported that test signals are already being sent out. It is believed that transponder transfers from 1N to 2F could happen vv quickly.

Posted

After many years in Germany, I just got all the UK channels setup. If I lose them now, I'm going to be more than mildly pissed..

Posted

AFAIK Astra 2F is as well in 28.2 so no big deal. The problem would be if Astra 1N is moved and Astra 2F is not as strong as 1N. i.e. Here in Berlin we've been enjoying Astra 1N for more than 1 year with "smallish" 90cms dishes, so we have everything covered (Sky UK, BBC, ITV, etc).

I am sure SpiderPig will provide better information.

Posted

It's in the same place, but as I understand it, it's beam will be more focused and we might lose it.

Posted

Actually, they're saying Astra 2F is at 43 degrees according to this article.

Posted

Just for testing or it is still on the move. It'll be at 28.2 for go live. You don't think they're going to get the UK and Ireland to move all their dishes to point someplace else, do you?

Posted

All the footprint maps are "theoretical" coverage maps.. designed to please and apease the broadcasters

We will not know the true coverage until they start the full service from the bird!

Posted

http://www.astra2.org/astra2.html

Astra 2F The Astra 2F satellite has now arrived at 28.2° East, all frequencies from Astra 1N will be transfered to Astra 2F between the 23-26 November 2012.

More information on the move to Astra 2F, along with any information on active transponders will be posted as soon as any information becomes available.

Tests are expected to begin very shortly, with services migrating over to Astra 2F from November 23, 2012. Services will keep the same frequencies, so there is not expected to be any major disruption apart from a short break in service when the transfer occurs. Once UK services have been withdrawn from Astra 1N, the satellite will be repositioned to serve continental Europe.

If you are viewing or listening outside the UK, now is not the time to invest in any new equipment. The BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5, currently uses the UK spotbeam on the Astra 1N satellite, this is soon to be replaced by Astra 2F. The two satellites are very similar, though the UK spotbeam on Astra 2F may differ from that of Astra 1N.

There is no reason for Sky to opt for the UK spotbeam, their channels are encrypted and there are no copyrigh issues. There are many expats who have legal subscriptions registered to a UK address, there are many British or Irish pubs and bars that have Sky Sports, these are all income for Sky.

It seems unlikely that Sky would want to lose this income, at this time there are no answers and no guarentees of future reception.

Non event. Move along, nothing to see here.....

Posted

Krieg the 1n satellite will be moved from the 28.2 position to 19.2 which was always its intended destination. Its only at 28.2 as an interim measure because of the need for additional capacity in the UK. As for the others who are saying its a non event well I suggest you keep up to date with the experts on www.satellites.co.uk.Hopefully the main public sector broadcasters BBC and ITV etc will still be receivable here but there can be no guarantees the further east of the Uk you go.

Posted

Yes, sure, that was not my point. Sky was never an issue, the problem is that in former time in Berlin you needed a giant dish (almost 2m) in order to get BBC and ITV, but since 1N is there we have been enjoying the channels with smallish dishes. Because probably 2F will have smaller footprint than 1N there is the chance that we will lose BBC and ITV. However, ITV is re-broadcasted by Sky so if you have Sky you will be losing only BBC. 1N does not help in whatever position it ends up because it wont transmit the English channels anymore.

Posted

Just for testing or it is still on the move. It'll be at 28.2 for go live. You don't think they're going to get the UK and Ireland to move all their dishes to point someplace else, do you?

Maybe the UK and Irland will cut themselves off from Europe and float into the Atlantic till they reach the spot. Finally free of Europe :lol:

Posted

Maybe the UK and Irland will cut themselves off from Europe and float into the Atlantic till they reach the spot. Finally free of Europe laugh.gif

Wouldn't work... I think they'd have to be dragged East not West, so the UK & Ireland would probably need to be sitting on top of Poland.

I'm sure the TT mathematicians can tell us exactly where the UK would need to be to receive a signal on dishes left pointing at 28.2 East when the satellite is sending a signal from 43 East. For the real mathematicians, they should also bear azimuth, etc in mind. Answers on a postcard to...

Posted

You can be anywhere in the planet, you still have to point to 28.2E if that's where the sat is. It is the location of the satellite, it has nothing to do with where you are.

Posted

You can see the astra satellite at 28.2E anywhere on the planet? Hmmmm. What about elevation if you're at the N pole or equator?

Posted

No, but you can still point the LNB in the correct direction.

Check this site: http://www.dishpointer.com/

Maybe you understand it better with a graphic.

Posted

Depends where exactly you're moving from - London to Skerbersdorf would work. Apparently.

Edit: Minor aside, dishes near the equator point more or less straight up (obviously) and it looks really weird.

Posted

No, but you can still point the LNB in the correct direction.

Check this site: http://www.dishpointer.com/

Maybe you understand it better with a graphic.

Maybe you need to rethink what you're saying. The sats are in geostationary orbit above the equator - In this case at 28.2 East of the Greenwich meridan. To receive a signal the dish azimuth, elevation, LNB skew will be different depending on where you are. You're all still pointing at that satellite sitting at 28.2E. If you're in Australia your dish will be pointing through the middle of the earth - not really a 'clear line of sight' to the sat.

The question is, if you leave your dish in the UK pointing to where it currently is... where would you need to reposition to (coordinates) if you did not change anything on the dish settings but still wanted to pick up the sat signal from a sat orbiting at 43E?

Posted

If you move UK your LNB is not pointing to 28.2E anymore, in order to get signal again you have to make it point again th 28.8E. 28.8E is where the sat is.

But since UK is not going to move and I am actually interested in what happens in Berlin in the next days I think I will forget about your besserwisser issues with UK tele-transporting somewhere else.

Posted

Now you're just being sauer. It's a bit of fun for the mathematicians on TT.

Posted

We have lost all freeview channels, is this the reason? Should we wait a bit to see if it corrects itself or get the technician up the roof?

Posted

All Channels are working here further east!!

Sounds like a re-boot or a technician needs to call!!

Posted

The new satellite 2F is now sending out a test signal at 11023H 23000 FEC 2/3 DVB S2 8PSK. Many east and south of Frankfurt cannot get the signal eg 120cm in Münich now not picking up test signal. The test signals are BBC1 HD which is still available on 1N as there is a period of dual transmission going on. In Hanover an 85cm dish no longer picks up test signal either. see www.satellites.co.uk for reception reports across Europe.... shit

Posted

Here in Berlin I get nothing at 11023H 23000 with a 90cm dish. It does not look promising.

Edit: Channels are still working because they are still transmitted on 1N

Posted

@ Welshman.

Are you actually in Limburg or Munich?