Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Taxation for Working Students in Germany

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

I've been offered a position in Munich as a student (20 hours a week) and a fixed brutto salary of 1800 Euros a month. From what I read in here this seems like a VERY nice salary for only 20 hours a week but I could not find specific information about how taxation works for students working part-time.

After 1 year do I have to declare anything? Earning that much, can I deduct anything that is related to my studies?

Also, I have another offer to work 20 hours per week with a salary of 1200 per month.

How do I calculate the amount of tax I will be paying?

Thanks a lot

Posted

I've been offered a position in Munich as a student (20 hours a week) and a fixed brutto salary of 1800 Euros a month. From what I read in here this seems like a VERY nice salary for only 20 hours a week but I could not find specific information about how taxation works for students working part-time.

Also, I have another offer to work 20 hours per week with a salary of 1200 per month.

Yes, that's a very nice salary for a student.

Please read Werkstudent in Munich.

After 1 year do I have to declare anything?

How do I calculate the amount of tax I will be paying?

In your first job you will be taxed according to tax class/category I, in your second job according to the more the disadvantageous tax class VI.

You can calculate the deductions with this online wage tax calculator (don't forget to change the tax category to VI when doing the calculation for your second job!).

If you will only work as an employee you don't have to do a tax return, since your employers will have retained wage tax out of your gross salary each month.

It is however advisable for you to do a tax return since you can claim for all your education costs in it and use them to reduce your taxable income.

Earning that much, can I deduct anything that is related to my studies?

You could even do a tax return and deduct your education costs even if you did not have any income at all.

If you are in a Bachelor program, you can claim for up to 4,000€ a year.

If you are in a Master program then there is no limit to how much you claim for.

I suggest you read post no. 620 in Filing a tax return for details.

Posted

Hi PandaMunich,

Thank you a lot.

I used this website to calculate and it says that earning 1,6K per month I will end up with 1,277k in my pocket plus the health insurance (I currently pay 75 as a student for TK). Does that sound right?

Thanks

Posted

From the wage tax link I posted (which is in English by the way, so it's easy to use...):

monthly gross salary: 1,800€

monthly Wage Tax : 171,75 Euro

Solidarity Surcharge : 9,44 Euro

Sum of the Taxes 181,19 Euro

9.8% Obligatory Pension Scheme: 176,40 Euro

1.5% Unemployment Insurance: 27,00 Euro

8.2% Health Insurance (incl. 0.9 % from the Employee alone): 147,60 Euro

1.225% Disability Insurance: 22,05 Euro

Sum of the Social Security Contributions 373,05 Euro

Net Salary: 1,245.76 Euro

Posted

Thank you for your help..

Posted

I have another question, I already pay student Health Insurance to TK.. About 75 Euros a month.

So I imagine this health insurance stated in the website (8.2% Health Insurance (incl. 0.9 % from the Employee alone): 147,60 Euro) can be ignored, right?

Posted

It depends. Since you will have 2 jobs with a total of over 20 hours, I think you will be classified as a normal employee and have to pay the higher health insurance, see here: http://translate.google.de/translate?hl=en?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A//www.studenten-krankenversicherung.net/studenten-krankenversicherung/versicherungsfreie-beschaeftigung.html

Posted

Hi PandaMunich,

Actually I decided to take only one of the offers since 40/h a week is too much for a student to deal with.

I will be working 20/h a week an receiving around 1800 Euros a month brutto. Now, when ask my future employer about this, she said that a student only loses the "student status" if working more then 20/h a week and that the only thing about the salary is that if you receive more than 8000 Euros a month you are automatically required to pay higher taxes.

But that seems to be different from what the website is saying.

Otherwise, what is advantage of being a student?

Posted

I am a bit confuse with this health insurance thing.. If will pay more than 100 euros directly deducted from my salary, why the heck am I paying 76 Euros to TK everyday??

Posted

I will be working 20/h a week an receiving around 1800 Euros a month brutto. Now, when ask my future employer about this, she said that a student only loses the "student status" if working more then 20/h a week ...

But that seems to be different from what the website is saying.

That's exactly what the link in post 7 said.

I suggest you also read Werkstudent in Munich.

I am a bit confuse with this health insurance thing.. If will pay more than 100 euros directly deducted from my salary, why the heck am I paying 76 Euros to TK everyday??

As long as you don't work more than 20 hours a week or 50 working days during the lecture time during the semester, you will not have to pay extra health insurance, you will just pay those 76.41€ (if you're 23 or older and don't have a child: 77.90€) in student health insurance.

Posted

I see, but I am entitled to work more than 20 hour during holidays?

Posted

why the heck am I paying 76 Euros to TK everyday??

Every day?

Posted

ops, every month :)

Posted

I see, but I am entitled to work more than 20 hour during holidays?

Yes, read the following articles:

However, there is a problem.

Many companies' bookkeeping departments don't bother about these differentiations and just go by the simple rule:

• up to 20 hours a week: treat as a student, i.e. don't charge social security contributions (public health&nursing, unemployment insurance). However, they do charge public pension insurance on all jobs paying more than 400€ gross.
  • over 20 hours a week: treat as normal employee, i.e. charge all social security contributions

Posted

I see.

Panda, thank you a lot for the help. Much appreciated.

All the best