Catch my cock and pullet

16 posts in this topic

Posted

So, In the UK, I pretty much knew who to ask or where to buy...

But here, I really have no Idea,

I am looking to buy some fertile Old English Bantam eggs or day old chicks...

The Web, is as usual, full of ideas and availbillity..

But NOT here in DE!

So, does anyone have any pointers as to where I can buy some classic old English Chickens?

post-20684-13533765649878.jpg

Posted

Try KFC.

Posted

You could look here for a Verein near you. They will have info about breeders, etc --> http://www.huehner-info.de/forum/forumdisplay.php/84-Vereinsfinder

Or look online at sites like --> http://www.markt.de/hessen/Tiere/Nutztiere/categoryId,1205000000/tags,hahn/suche.htm

and --> http://suche.deine-tierwelt.de/tiere/16618/haehne-kaufen.html

Or contact The Bantam Club in Coesfeld --> http://www.bantam-klub.de/

Posted

Linnenkamp have day-old chicks of some of the other bantam breeds. Link at the end of this post: http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=171319&st=33

Posted

I think Kiplette has chickens too, though. And Mlovett, but she's in Ami-land and won't be able to help in terms of where to get chicks here in Germany.

EDIT: Not sure where I got the idea that Kiplette and her family have chooks, haven't been able to find any evidence in threads after a quick scan...

Posted

You could try finding a local farmers' market (an actual farmers' market with the farmers there rather just a Wochenmarkt with often just retailers) and asking one of the farmers who sells eggs. If they don't sell fertilised eggs or chicks themselves, they're likely to know who does. Probably worth checking the River Cottage or similar forums (Green Living, selfsufficientish and so on) as well, they do have members living in Germany (not many, but some) who might have good contacts.

Posted

EDIT: Not sure where I got the idea that Kiplette and her family have chooks, haven't been able to find any evidence in threads after a quick scan...

Et walla! Buried in the depths of TT:

It turns out that chicken rules vary according to stadt, which probably won't surprise you in the least. We have moved them to 3 locations,

Horrible horrible rat people.

I accept that my chickens probably caused the recent outbreak of rats in the back gardens of our row.

Sorry - only just spotted your question, rodisi. To be honest, it has never bothered me and I have never seen or heard it. The neighbour was warning me because the chickens were not always going in at night, and he was worried about their safety.

Posted

He is after a particular UK breed so I doubt that a local (German) breeder can help:

I am looking to buy some fertile Old English Bantam eggs or day old chicks...

In Wildpark Garlstorf (Niedersachsen) they have a massive arena with many types of fowl including I believe some UK models BUT they were not Bantams I think.

Posted

The German breeders will certainly have more answers than we can provide, and they may be able to point SP in the right direction.

Posted

Did you get help from The Loco for your title?

Sorry, I'm no help.

Posted

Yep - down to one chicky now, for whom we are going to need a friend before we get done for tierquaelerei. SP if you look on ebay under eggs, then masses of breeders are selling their absolutely not for hatching yet live eggs there, and that would give you a wodge load of contacts that you can ask about the particular breed you are after. Do not look with Lilly, otherwise you and I will both be being subjected to 'but why can't we get the emu egg, mummy, you are so not fun, an emu would be so cool...' Ebay kleinanzeigen may also give you some more contact options (our dog came from ebay...I am kind of addicted).

Posted

I believe some UK models BUT they were not Bantams I think.

...Was it this type of English chick HEM? If it was, I'm there....

post-83279-1353413749263.jpg

Posted

Forget those scrawny English ones. Get yourself a Rhode Island Red. Seriously though, they are great all-around-birds. My neighbors had them and they laid great eggs and the meat is tasty too. Rhode Island has cold winters and these guys were quite hardy although they lived in a coop, they were out in the yard even durung January. I believe they are called Rhodeländer here.