Setting up a foreign Netgear VDSL Modem Router

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

I have set up a Fritz!Box 3370 (which I borrowed) with my new VDSL 50 line from T-Online (Deutsche Telekom) and everything works fine.

Alas, I have to install my old Netgear VVG2000 Modem-Router which I brought from abroad. I tried to set it up right, using the long xxxxx@t-online username and password, also tried to change the VCI VPI to match the German Sync (1,32) but I still can't get any connection, nor an indication of, at least, a sync to the network. (front panel LED)

Are there any more parameters needed to be changed? What about ATM, PTM, VLANID and other stuff?

I couldn't find any reference to this specific model, and also tried to look up for a similar model Netgrear, but still no success.

Help? Suggestions? Links?

Ariel

Posted

In Germany the DSL standard is Annex B, I think most other places use Annex A, unfortunately it looks like your modem can't be changed and so it won't be any use if it's the wrong annex, see here (at the very end) to check the exact model/annex.

Tim.

Posted

Thanks, Tim

In this table it states 4 models, whereas I have no idea which of them is mine. Nevertheless, I found out that my router also goes by the name DG834NUv2 so maybe this would help.

I do not have VoIP in my model, therefore it might as well be VVG2000B

Any ideas?

Posted

Where did you buy/use it before? I think it's safe to say that, unless you used it in a country with an ISDN phone system, it's Annex A and cannot be used in Germany. You might find on Google information about whether you can change by loading different firmware, but I expect in the end you'll have to by a new router. If you're planning to take it back to wherever you brought the other one from then it's probably worth buying one where the annex can be changed (I think the Fritz box international editions or the German one with hacked firmware can be).

Tim.

Posted

A German Fritz box (Depending on model) can have its Annex changed with a NORMAL (Read NON HACKED)

Firmware as the ADSL control chip can do multiple Annex's. The language can also be changed. It requires

the use of a modified flash tool, which doesn't do the firmware version checks like the Normal FB programs,

but it still uses original AVM files.

On with the program.. If you did not buy the router in this country then its a very good chance won't work here.

Either try to find a German firmware to change the Annex (To Annex B), or just by a fritzbox and be done with it.

Posted

A German Fritz box (Depending on model) can have its Annex changed with a NORMAL (Read NON HACKED)

Firmware ...It requires

the use of a modified flash tool, which doesn't do the firmware version checks like the Normal FB programs,

but it still uses original AVM files.

So what you are saying is you can use the original firmware, but you have to hack the box to accept it. Fair enough...

Posted

Lets see if I can simplify this..

1. Original, Unhacked, Unmodified, AVM Fritz!Box model that supports multiple language ROMs.

2. A Unhacked, Unmodified, AVMFritz!Box Firmware image for your model (Which can be downloaded thru rukerneltool)

3. A 3rd party flash tool called rukerneltool which works and flashes the Fritz!Box the exact same

way as AVM's own Flash-Recovery Program, only it doesn't check Annex, Language, etc. like the AVM recovery tool

thus lets you flash English,German,Italian, etc. language Roms into your Fritz!Box. (Plus, it can change lots of other stuff)

Should you want the tool and further info on the flashing process, google is your friend.

Posted

Lets see if I can simplify this so you can understand instead of nitpicking ever detail to death..

Clearly in your own rather strange little world, you thought I was questioning your capabilities. Far from it. I was agreeing wholeheartedly. .

Fair enough...

Try and shed that chip on your shoulder that so weighs down your life, and thanks in advance from future travellers to this site for your detailed explanation...

Posted

No prob. Sorry.. I'm just used to your normal "I know it all", DK is always wrong tone of your posts.. My Bad..

Posted

So you were wrong again, then... (and you still edit your posts when you get caught out...)

Nonetheless, the apology is appreciated...

Posted

well, first of all, thank you guys for sharing this information. Second, as for Tim's question, this Netgear Router was brought here from Israel, a country where the last time I heard of ISDN was sometime around the year 2000. Hence, I would presume this might probably be the issue to its not functionality.

Nevertheless, I could always ask the Israeli-Internet-Infrastructure tech support team (the equ. to D-Telekom) as to what ANNEX is being used on their net. Moreover, I might get some help from Netgear for any FW update, settings or a resolution to whether or not this model could work here.

I have no idea how to approach Netgear with that. Anyone have an idea?

Posted

This thread might be useful, especially the bit at the very bottom, but I'm just Googling, which is nothing you couldn't do yourself. Or just bite the bullet and buy a Fritz Box!

Tim

Posted

Further Googleing shows that they use Annex-A in Israel. So unless you can convert it to Annex-B

you fooked.. Go buy a fritzbox.