How to cope with dry skin

56 posts in this topic

Posted

So I come from Victoria, Australia, where we allegedly have the most pristine and drinkable water in the world, where after a shower your skin retains the moisture and sparkles beautifully... And then I come here and it all turns pretty ugly. Not to mention that the air is dry as dust in winter and I feel like I'm shrivelling and turning into a dried prune and the water leaves a white calcium residue called "Kalk" that just about bloody blocks everything from my tap to my skin pores. I slap on moisturiser 5 times a day and it just dries out and I feel like a dried tomato half an hour later. Soooo... anyone else have a similar problem?

Posted

Try a different moisturiser!

Seriously though, what exactly do you expect us to do about it?

One of the best things about mankind is the ability to adapt. Give your body time, and you will notice a difference!

Posted

I've tried, trust me. Don expect anything, just ranting and venting, that's about it.

Posted

you gotta stay in the shower longer. (about 3 hours)

Posted

I have that all the time after showering here too, not much you can do, in fact there are only two things you can do:

1) Don't shower

or

2) Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise...

I find cocoa or shea butter to be the best for my skin. MY skin does soak up moisturiser like a sponge though, so I have to use it a lot, if I don't my skin gets dry and itchy very fast.

Posted

And truly, my heart bleeds for the pain and suffering you are forced to endure.

Posted

Yep, shorter showers, lower water temperature and use an oil based shower gel and moisturizer.

Posted

Without moisturiser my skin bleeds from all the scratching ;)

Maybe you could try installing a shower head water filter (I've never tried this myself, but it could be an option)

Posted

Try a product called "Melkfett".

Melkfett is great. The one I bought has calendula extract in it. I've been using it a lot lately and it helps. So does regular petroleum jelly and contrary to popular belief, it doesn't clog your pores.

Posted

I use something for Roche Possay (you find it in die Apotheke) and it is great. Only stuff I tried that actually works. :-)

Posted

Dry brushing before showering can help stimulate your skin, and gets all the flaky stuff off.

And get a humidifier?

I gave up soap for all but the dirty bits, and my skin is much happier. Instead I use Lush's "buffy" body bar which exfoliates and leaves behind a really good layer of oils, but it is not greasy. Love it!

Posted

switch to shower oil instead of shower gel

Posted

Get a Hygrometer (humidity sensor) - indoor weather stations usually have them. If your indoor humidity goes below 40%, your skin will dry out. In winter, that means you have to keep your windows closed most of the time, just as the Germans do. Coming from a temperate coastal region, I used to always keep a window open, and then wondered why my face fell off every winter.

Posted

Why, thank you.. I wasn't aware that my rant would evoke such deep empathy. Faith in humanity restored.

Cheers for the advice all, will try this Melkfett.

Posted

I was just about to post the Eucerin lotion that Katrina posted - once the cold weather starts, my skin goes all... erm, you don't want to know. Suffice to say, I use *lots* of lotion and Eucerin Urea lotion is the one I've found that works, as long as I keep it up regularly.

For my sandpapery look-93-years-old hands, I use this stuff:

post-121019-13534078516389.jpg

Posted

Many pharmacies are giving out free samples of the Eucerin at the moment, actually you can get one here by post.

Posted

Nivea Q10 hautstraffende body lotion is great, provided you're not allergic to the ingredients. It keeps your skin moisturised all day with a single application. I had amazing skin for about 5 days, until I got a rash and had to discontinue :(

Posted

I gave up soap for all but the dirty bits, and my skin is much happier.

Actually, I stopped using fancy shower gels and started using soap and my skin is generally much happier. But real soap, where they haven't removed most of the glycerin and added a whole lot of other stuff. When I ran out and had forgotten to order more, I got a soap from Lush (not Buffy, which I remember using and loving years ago when it first came out) and while it's slightly better than some soaps, it's still a bit drying. And the list of ingredients nearly made me fall off my chair when I actually read it - it might be hand-made but pure and good it is not.

For moisturising I use mostly hemp seed oil or a plant-based butter. I usually get stuff from Innocent Oils although the shipping costs to Germany have gotten too high now, really. I try to wait until someone I know is heading home to the UK for a while and ask them to bring stuff back. Or I order enough for a year or more, to make the shipping costs seem worthwhile. Haven't found anything as good here yet, although I haven't looked too hard either.