Kita gutschein not sufficient

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello,

After a long time we finally got a Kitagutschein for our child, but only for 4-5 hours. The problem now is that almost all Kitas in the area are full with waiting lists up to summer 2013 (and even beyond), and those who might have place (particularly the smaller ones), want a Ganztag gutschein (7-9 hours) as otherwise they lose on income. The basis for our 4-5 hours gutschein is 1) Father employed, 2) Mother looking for work, 3) No German spoken at home. Our child is 1 year old.

We are a bit stuck and are looking for solutions, and wonder if any of you tried any of the following?

1) Pay for the additional 2 or 4 hours ourselves (i.e. have the gutschein cover 5 hours, with us covering the additional hours up to 7 or 9 hours). Does anyone know what this might cost?

2) Ask for a Ganztag gutschein with the jugendambt. We do not have the right for more than 5 hours, but is it worth trying?

3) Wait until August, when our child turns two, and when I believe the state HAS to make it possible for us to have a place?

Any thoughts/advice welcome.

KM

Posted

I don't think it should be too hard to change it to a full day Gutschein either. The language argument alone should suffice. In addition you can also explain that Mom has to take job interviews at unpredictable times of the day and also that she is planning to work full time and once you have a job and will then certainly need the fulltime care. It would be difficult to switch from a half day place to a fulll day spot short notice when you land that job, or something along those lines. Put a detailed explanation in an informal letter and hand-deliver it to your Sachbearbeiter. That way you won't get flustered when you are making your argument in person and they really like having this kind of documented proof for their files.

Good luck.

Posted

I had no problem getting a full day gutschein for exactly that reason and I took classes at the VHS. If mom doesn't speak German, she should be signing up for those classes right now! In fact, my Familienamt expedited the gutscheins and helped me find kit as primarily for the socialization issue- they are very understanding that children must be integrated. Though mine was 15 months at the time.

Posted

Many thanks everyone. This is very helpful.

Posted

Hello everyone we are going to be in a similar position. We move to Berlin this January from the US and I am trying to find a spot for both of my youngest children 3 yr old Girl and 1 yr old boy. I am hoping to contimue them with montessori. I have a few possibilities however i am concerned about the Kita gutschein. We will not be in Berlin until 17 Jan and my husbands company will only be putting us in temporary housing while they are finding us a house. This creates a problem how can I apply for the gutschein before I get there. I plan to take language classes as soon as I get there but I can not enroll with the VHS until we are there(I asked). I have the address for the temporary house but the new house could end up being in a different bezirk.

My question is assuming I find a German montessori school for the kids can they start while I am working on the paperwork?? Since it seems like the system does not allow the paperwork to be put in first. Also can I put that I intend to take classes on the form since until I know I have a spot for my 1 yr old I wouldn't be able to put in.

It says the process can go faster than 2-6 months if you just moved there but is this true. I know my 3 yr old is guaranteed 5 hours and my 1 yr old will be once he turns 2 since we are english speakers. I just want to try not to have too long of a wait for my 3 yr old to go back to school.

Posted

Hi there,

Hope you don't mind me hijacking your post but I'm going to be moving to Berlin in January with my DH and 3.5 year old son and want to ask advice on kindergartens. How long does it take to sort out a gutschein? And when they do give you it for x hours pe day, is this for 5 days a week? And do you have to take them up on it, ie if a kita sees you have a full time gutschein would they expect you to bring in your child full time for 5 days a week? On the one hand that would be great (I'm expecting twins in May!) but on the other hand, he only goes to pre-school for five half days here at the moment so to go from this to full time might be too much.

I'm guessing from everything I've read that it's going to be extremely difficult to arrange a kita when I arrive as they're all full up. I'm going to be living in Schoeneberg but have been told there might be a space in a kita in Friedrichshain in Jan. Is it really that usual to travel so far for kita?? Even here in London I don't have to travel that far!

thanks

Posted

Well, despite all the arguments used (particulalry the language/integration argument), our jugendamt won't give us a ganztagschein. Bit frustrating this but thanks again to all for the advice. Deirdss, I am afraid I cannot help you with this, we are still learning ourselves!

Posted

I turned myself into self-employeed and got the full-time gutschein. The fact is I have tried to find a job and, like what's mentioned above,it is not easy when the kid isn't in a kita fulltime. As a sales person/translator I was trying to bid on some projects, eventhough they fell through I couldn't even think of bidding on it without knowing that I would have enough time to work on it.

My Jugendamt approved the full time gutschein for being self-employeed but the responsible lady acted like I just wanted to get rid of my kid and faked my paper. I had to tell her, with anger and accumulated frustration (of having being looking but still can't find a job) but calmly that unfortunately not everyone in the world worked between 9 am and 3 pm.

Posted

Hi - I'm hoping to be able freelance for my old UK company when I move to Berlin (this week!) but have no work as such booked in yet. I'm assuming I can say I'm self employed even if I can't prove it yet? It's a bit like you meisz, I can't tell my old employer I'm going to be available for work unless I can manage to get a nursery place for my son. And if I were to tell them I'd have a could of hours there here nd everywhere across the week, this is much less convincing than if I could say I had a couple of full days. Hopefully I meet as nice an administrator as you when I go to register!

Posted

Deirdss, because of the age of your child (3.5) you will easily get a gutschein for 5-7 hours per day. However, the difficult part is finding a Kita with a free space. For instance, some of them will prefer to take kids with a gutschein for 7-9 hours a day (more money for the Kita). If you want 7-9 hours a day, you will probably have to register as a freelancer with your local finazamt in Berlin, and then you would need to show your registration to the Jugendamt to get the 7 - 9 hours.

Posted

please watch out for "Eltern-Ini" (initiation of parents)

http://www.bage.de/

we have them a lot here in my area, because we have many student single moms, and kindergartens are very overcrowded.

They are nurses and helpers who are working as self-employed kindergarten-owners...

If you might call there (surely there is an english speaker) and ask them for free places, you surely find!

Posted

I'm hoping to be able freelance for my old UK company when I move to Berlin (this week!) but have no work as such booked in yet. I'm assuming I can say I'm self employed even if I can't prove it yet?

Just keep in mind that if you are publicly insured in Germany that your health insurance premium will probably be higher if you are self-employed than if you are unemployed.