Desperately seeking Kiwi

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi there,

I am looking for someone from New Zealand (or possibly Australia) with a heart of gold and an empty suitcase this holiday season. Briefly, what I want is a few Whittaker's Coconut Blocks (this Whittaker's: http://www.whittakers.co.nz/)-- I give you some money, you go to New Zealand and buy a few bars, enjoy your holiday, come back to Berlin and give me the goods, I give you some more money, and EVERYONE IS MUCH, MUCH HAPPIER.

Whittaker's doesn't export to Germany and the private candy companies I've seen online charge more than I can justify spending on what is essentially a chocolate bar, with a shipping time estimate of a couple months, if it doesn't get lost in the Zollamt. My best friend is turning 40 in January-- we met a few years ago while tramping in nelson lakes national park, and we subsisted mainly on gumboot with powdered milk and whittaker's coconut blocks. She has the wrapper of the last one we ate at the airport framed in her living room, and I would give my left arm to watch her open up a package full of whittaker's on her birthday.

So... if you are a kiwi or an aussie or live somewhere where they ship Whittaker's Coconut Blocks (none of the other varieties, while also delicious, will do) and have room in your suitcase for, say, five bars of chocolate and want to make a minimal amount of extra money (payment can also be in correspondingly difficult to procure american candies, though I can't imagine anyone going this far out of their way to get their hands on a hershey bar) and make someone's life extraordinarily wonderful for one moment, please PM me.

Posted

thanks for the link, but they only sell the 50g slabs-- i would like to buy the larger blocks.

Posted

Why not email them and ask if they will get the larger ones? You have until January to get them.

Posted

Good idea. I did e-mail them, so we'll see where that goes. Still, the only Whittaker's they have in block size sells for nearly 9 Euros a bar, which does not include shipping... which is more than I can spend. Sigh.

Posted

update: i emailed SANZA and they do not carry the big blocks of chocolate and are not planning on doing that anytime soon. anyone heading south for the holidays? anyone?

Posted

It's a hypothetical-- they don't carry what I want anyway. It would be 9 euros for one bar plus high costs for shipping. It would take several weeks to get here, and based on how many packages i've received months later because they sat in customs or received torn open/soaking wet, or not received at all, it isn't worth it. A bar of chocolate probably costs about 2 NZD and takes up almost no room in a suitcase. I am not asking anyone to go to new zealand for me; half of germany is already on holiday there anyway. In my world, this options feels (slightly) less ludicrous.

Posted

takes up almost no room in a suitcase

When I fly down under, every single minute speck of room is used on the way back. Indeed, I have a method of putting my bag on the weigh in belt to dodge extra charges (you tip it so the end sits on the metal, works best with rucksacks). For expats packing a bit of home can really make a difference to your quality of life here by warding off homesickness.

So, why not ask on German travel sites for Germans to do this for you? Because expats need all the space we can get.

Posted

I'm with Katrina.. though for me it's never the room that's the problem, it's the weight. And chocolate is heavy! 4 blocks of the chocolate you're after = 1kg. I always use all of my weight allowance (and usually push it for a bit more) going in both directions.. Going home to NZ I have German treats for my Kiwi German friends and presents for family and on the way back I have a stash of everything I'll miss for the next 12+ months as well as Kiwi treats for my German friends that also used to live in NZ.

Good luck with the chocolate.

P.S The price is more like NZ$4.29 per block which is close to 3 euro at the current exchange rate.

Posted

You don't know anyone who'd just post you a bar in a slim jiffy bag??

Posted

I know it's exxy, but have you tried Ebay?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-x-Whittakers-Chocolate-Blocks-New-Zealand-Made-/160925655089?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2577eaa031&_uhb=1#ht_3373wt_147

Posted

ebay! didn't think of that! thanks!