Applying for Master, German equiv. 2.9 grade

30 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey guys,

I am currently studying in Lithuania computer science, and my plan is to apply for master's degree in Germany next year. The only problem is that my Grade point average is 2.9 according to German system, which is really low.

Now some universities have GPA limit, like no less than 2 or 2.5, so those automatically fall off. But then other universities do not mention minimal GPA, for example Technische Universität München. I asked them and they said there is no GPA requirement. But do you think I still have a chance there or no?

I wonder what are my chances of applying to master's degree in Germany with 2.9 GPA (computer science or informatics).

Thanks!

Posted

The general rule is that they won't accept anyone with an average of more than 2.5.

If you have a good CV, maybe 2.6.

1.0 = you got at least 95% in the exams

1.3 = 90%

1.7 = 85%

2.0 = 80%

2.3 = 75%

2.5 = 72%

Oh, and TUM is one of the most sought after universities in Germany, you need a much better grade than 2.5 to get in...

Posted

Ok, if I got 2.9 according to German system, what universities I should aim for, or there are none? For example those with ranking of ~400 in the world are fine or I still have no chances? :(

Posted

Do you need a Master program taught in English, or could you also study in German?

Posted

Only in English. I know basics of German because I lived there several months, but still not enough to study in German.

Maybe universities release last year's admission grade tresholds so students can see what chances they got when applying?

Posted

I have to agree with Panda, I don't think you have much chance of being admitted to TUM with your grades. Although some programmes have a few spaces reserved for foreign students, programmes taught in English are very competitive.

Why don't you try to first gain a few years of experience before starting your masters?

Posted

TUM was just as an example I gave, and I understand I probably have no chances admitting there. But I just want to study in Germany master's, I don't really care which university as long as it's not really bad :P

Just an example I found Leibniz Universität Hannover, world ranking 369 (28 in Germany). Do you think I have chances in admitting there?

What about experience, I don't think it's good idea to work in Lithuania few years and then apply.

Posted

Your GPA is probably too weak to gain admission anywhere (well the 70th percentile), which is why Engelchen and PandaMunich suggested that you gain some work experience and build up your CV before applying.

Posted

Why Germany?

Because I got friends there so many years i lived there for several weeks or even months, so I enjoy Germany. Also I worked there few months as well so I know basics of German language which means it will be much easier than in Sweden or Netherlands for example.

Posted

I know, that's why I will apply only to English though programs. Either way it will be much easier for me to learn German than learn any other European language.

Posted

Just an example I found Leibniz Universität Hannover, world ranking 369 (28 in Germany). Do you think I have chances in admitting there?

Depends. Our son goes to Leibniz Uni and he doesn't think you'd have much of a chance without excellent German skills.

Posted

Depends. Our son goes to Leibniz Uni and he doesn't think you'd have much of a chance without excellent German skills.

Why would German language matter if I want to apply to only English taught programs? :)

Posted

It seems it's a lot more difficult to get into a German university than I had imagined.. at least back in my home country, only a handful graduate with over 80% cgpa (considered summa cum laude/ graduating with honours), yet it's only a weak 2.0 in Germany..?

The general rule is that they won't accept anyone with an average of more than 2.5.

If you have a good CV, maybe 2.6.

1.0 = 95%

1.3 = 90%

1.7 = 85%

2.0 = 80%

2.3 = 75%

2.5 = 72%

Oh, and TUM is one of the most sought after universities in Germany, you need a much better grade than 2.5 to get in...

Posted

Why would German language matter if I want to apply to only English taught programs?

The MSc in Computer Science is taught mainly in German. It also has restricted entry and a 2.9 wouldn't cut it.

Posted

The MSc in Computer Science is taught mainly in German. It also has restricted entry and a 2.9 wouldn't cut it.

Internet Technologies and Information Systems is English only program. But yes, 2.3 is entry there.

Posted

Well there you go. Not a chance. You'd be up against all the other foreign students with better grades.

Posted

...at least back in my home country, only a handful graduate with over 80% cgpa (considered summa cum laude/ graduating with honours), yet it's only a weak 2.0 in Germany..?

80%, i.e a 2.0 won't get you into the Master programs at the more sought after universities, they tend to have cut offs at 1.7, i.e. people who got 85% or above in the exams.

To complicate matters further, students now tend to get better marks than they did before the introduction of the Bachelor/Master System.

So you can't really compare a 1.7 somebody got in a Vordiplom 15 years ago to the Bachelor marks people get now.

Now, professors are encouraged to give higher marks in order to not mess up the students' chances in the job market in case that they want to get a job right after their Bachelor.

I've seen it first hand, and I'm sorry to say that standards have gone down.

Interesting that above 80% counts as summa cum laude in Canada.

In Germany, summa cum laude would mean 98% or better, but it is really only used to describe PhD marks, see here.

Posted

Okey guys, if let's say I get admitted to mediocre German university, can I still get a decent job in Germany (if I learn German language in that time)?