Extremely high property rental prices in Munich

42 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

So, I might be late on this, but I am currently helping out a friend to find an apartment to rent in Munich and I find it extremely difficult to find a decent price (I am not even talking about the whole application process and stuff; I can´t find decent offers to start with).

I have found my own apartment a little over one year ago and back then we didn´t have all these problems. That was not so long ago.

So my question is: what happened in the past year? I know a lot of people have moved to Munich, but still, a lot of people also continue to move out of the city.

Now it´s like even the crappy apartments in far far away locations have raised their prices to a whole new level.

Did everybody get a massive raise and I am the only naive one left out there? :unsure:

Hoping you can shed some light on this. Happy Friday!

L.

Posted

Timing issues are part of your problem.

Until recently we had thought of moving to Munich (house not apartment, but looked at both) and the difference in supply in Spring/Summer versus now is extreme. Just keep looking. Perhaps a bit further out? We found stuff even last month that we thought was reasonable, but it tends to post and then be taken if it is in any way reasonable/good repair/well priced (not foreigner gouging).

Posted

I can only second that. It´s difficult to find a central 45-50 squaremeter apartment in Munich for 650 Euro including utilities.

The problem is that it is either very expensive, like I witnessed lately in Schwabing for 1000 Euro. Or it is very cheap, like I witnessed lately at Westend or in Haidhausen. The tenant said in both cases that she replyed to the first 20 callers or e-mail inqueries and did not care about the 100s that followed later.

So all you need is a little bit of luck. I found my apartment via a coworker who moved to Hannover.

Posted

Thank you Gail, I thought so too - last year I have been looking in the summer, my friends have been looking since September - probably the worse time to look for an apartment. At least the good news is that the problem is only temporary (fingers crossed)

Thanks Siskebap! My landlord is a very honest and kind man (did I mention good looking too? Awww), and I was so lucky to meet him and his wife. I hope my friends will find somebody like him!

Posted

Due to the continuous mass construction of thousands of new flats over the last few years, I tend to believe there are a lot more people coming than leaving.

There you have it - supply and demand.

edited for JE

Posted

Due to the continuous mass construction of thousands of new units over the last few years, I tend to believe there are a lot more coming than leaving.

Huh? Do you mean the mass construction of PEOPLE? 'cos otherwise I am confused. Weird sentence.

Posted

Ok,

All you guys are scaring me. I'll be arriving in Munich right before the New Year and will need to find a place by March 1st. Am I not going to be able to find anything in Munich? I don't need to go super cheap, but I also don't want to pay 1200 for lousy place. My company is willing to assist as much as they can in finding a place, but I'm getting concerned.

Any thoughts?

Posted

I've been hearing this from other people as well, Munich is really booming and loads of people are moving here. Already told the wife we need to plan for temp housing when we arrive.

Posted

You may be lucky in the early part of the year but usually summer is the best time anywhere, not just in Munich. Practically nobody moves Nov-Feb (who the hell wants to move right before Christmas or in the the shitty weather in Jan/Feb unless they have to?)

Posted

We once changed flats over the Xmas holidays.

People move all the time without leaving the country or their jobs.

Posted

The exception proves the rule.

Posted

We are in the same basket, except I found out the "lottery" way to get an apartment, we saw one we loved, first person seeing it, and first to say we wanted it, only to have no news for 1 week to found out the real estate person was waiting to have more offers to present the owner. O course she didn't feel the need to mention that information to us when we gave her our passports copy.

I was annoyed and pissed when we found out we " didn't get it" when all was said to us was it was a done deal.

Fact is the owner probably picked the higher salary, even tho we are well settled money wise, but I guess like a friend said, don't trust real ease agent!

I can deal with this but now I won't give away my passport info to strangers if its a competition when we apply.

Best of luck to everyone looking too!

Posted

come now. of course it's a competition. The landlord has every right to chose tenants however he/she sees fit, and it makes sense that they would want to chose from a group of candidates instead of just accepting the first person who comes along.

I imagine you won't find any place to live at all if you aren't willing to provide proof of your identity when you apply. Best of luck with that.

Posted

I can only second that. It´s difficult to find a central 45-50 squaremeter apartment in Munich for 650 Euro including utilities.

The problem is that it is either very expensive, like I witnessed lately in Schwabing for 1000 Euro.

I don't know why people are complaining about spending a grand for a 2 room place in Schwabing (a great location), or expecting to get a 50sqm place for 650 euros including all bills.

Munich is the most expensive city in Germany, and has been for a while. In what other major European country (or the world for that matter), where there are still jobs, can you get a place in their most expensive city for those prices. Answer: none.

Posted

The landlord has every right to chose tenants however he/she sees fit...

Yes, I remember the good old days when the ni***s had to live in a separate part of town.

Are you crazy!

The landlord has NO right to discriminate on anything other than ability to pay, and past references - if any. Any other form of 'choice' is unfair, and immoral.

Posted

Well, if it makes you feel any better, a colleague of mine (single woman) just rented a 4 room (only 85qm) apartment in Hasenbergl for 1350€/month warm.

Hasenbergl!

Posted

I remember paying €800 a month for a 1 bedroom flat 15 years ago... & that was in Johanneskirchen so hardly the centre of the universe.

Posted

and to top it off euros didnt even exist 15 years ago! :ph34r: , perhaps what Eric meant here was Deutsche mark

Posted

and to top it off euros didnt even exist 15 years ago! , perhaps what Eric meant here was Deutsche mark

1600 DM

Posted

The flat was about 65m2 total.

Not sure how big the bedroom was???