New to Essen

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi my name is Susan. I am new to Essen and Europe itself. Came from small town near charlotte NC. Love Essen so far only wish I'd find people to connect with who spoke my language. Someone to share this fun experience with. Anyone out there who is in the Essen area? Any suggestions of fun things to do in the area? Places to go or see? Or just want to chat and share.

Ive been reading forums in Toytown but havent located anyone who says they are in the Essen area. Love reading and getting help in Toytown. Has been a huge help in cooking and finding things needed in the kitchen and such.

Sold my horse when i chose to move here to be with my boyfriend. Miss her and the barn life. Anyone know of barns neededing volunteers who doesn't speak german. :-) Or anyone out there who shares the same interests? would love to hear from you.

Posted

1st friday in the month is english speaking bookgroup in Essen - find us on facebook.

Posted

Hi Susan,

in Mülheim an der Ruhr you may find "The Social Club Muelheim a.d. Ruhr", an international English-speaking club, whose members and friends meet frequently for informal pub evenings in a pub which is located close to the central railway station. Please PM for further details.

Posted

Hi, I am an English speaking girl living and working in Mulheim an der Ruhr on my own and are also looking for some native speakers living in this area, Essen is just down the train track. We should meet for coffee or something? I am working 40 plus hours a week so we would have to work around that.

Cheers Nicki

Posted

Hi Nicki! Great to hear from you. lets see what we can do to connect. My schedule is flexible and look forward to hearing from you.

Message me and let me know when would work best for you.

Posted

Hi Susan. My name's Rudy (but I'm female, just think of the Cosby Show ;-)) and I live in Essen. I moved here on July. I'm actually from Dortmund. I'm a Filipina but I'm looking for English speaking friends. Maybe we could meet up some time and discover some parts of Essen. I'm wondering if there's any English Shop here....?

Posted

Hi all,

Ive recently moved to Essen in fact four weeks ago.

I moved over from the UK.

Im here for works purposes and like the rest of you looking to make new friends preferably english speaking.

If interested please get intouch.

Posted

redlawrey

Posted: 16.Nov.2012, 2:15pm

1st friday in the month is english speaking bookgroup in Essen - find us on facebook.

Where is this book group held and how can I find it on facebook?

Posted

Search 'english book club, essen' - it's in the Chat Noir, Brigittastrasse, Ruttenscheid.

This friday from 7.30/8pm if you're interested.

Posted

Hi Susan,

Firstly welcome to Essen,Germany and to the Ruhrgebiet :)

Maybe you can have a look on Facebook and search for " Old Longhill English Club "

It is located in Velbert-Langenberg which is a small town very close to Essen and

also easy to travel to by road or even with the S-Bahn.

And as for you interest in horses and barns, I live at a riding stable, maybe they would

be happy to have a volunteer ;) .

Have a great weekend and maybe see you on Monday, our next meeting :)

Take care and Regards

Nick

Posted

There is some second FB group, who occasionally meet up for the pub:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/193979624054575/

Posted

Have had a look at the FB Page of the group but it's a " Closed Group " and not possible to contact.

Would be great to maybe exchange ideas and also arrange combined meet ups.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Old-Longhill-English-Club/230026130461353

Posted

It's a closed group but I managed to join yesterday ... ;-)

Posted

Clever Wolf ;) - now tell us how you did it :D

Posted

Hi! There is an English-speaking Quiz night once a month in Essen-Kettwig at a bar called Lulu's on the Ruhrstrasse. Bad owner is an American. Usually Quiz Night is the 2nd Wedensday of the month. You can find the group on Facebook, too. Lots of fun, a great group of English-speakers in the area :)

Posted

Hi there and welcome to the Ruhrgebiet:)

The Irish Pub Fritzpatrick's in Essen Ruettenscheid has English Quiz night the 2nd Monday of each month.

Also tonight, Jan. 19 at 8 pm there's an "English-Speaking Essen" Meet up at Fritzpatrick's Irish Pub. The table is reserved under the name "Schreiber."

For more details here's a link to the English Speaking Essen Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/193979624054575/

I think it's just a matter of requesting to join :)

Hope to meet some English speakers in the area!

Posted

Ah no, have just saw this message and wont be able to make it....would defo be up for the next one!!!