Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

When do I start applying to Kindergartens

9 posts in this topic

Posted

My LO is 16 months and would like to know when I should start applying to Kindergartens so she can start at 3. When does the term start or do they have several entries throughout the year? How many hours a day does my LO attend?

Sorry not too clued up on this and do not want to leave it too late. TIA

Posted

You don't say what city you are in (I'll take a stab at Neuss?) but generally you should apply as soon as possible since spots can be limited in some areas. There are usually different options as to how long your child stays each day, it depends on what type of kindergarten it is. Take a look at a few and get yourself on the waiting list.

Posted

Depending on where you are, it may already be too late (my daughter was on waiting lists when my wife was 6 months pregnant).

Do some research as to your options and apply to them all to start with. If you can pick one or two favourites, make appointments with them and go and sweet talk them - The more they think you and your child will "fit in", the more chances you have.

be prepared for a hard fight, be doubly prepared to not get your first choice, be prepared that if you (the mama) do not work you may not have a chance (feel free to claim that you will start working when your child geta Kita place, even if it isnt totally true)and try and get to know some families with children already at that Kita and see if you cant get a recommendation.

Above all, try and get to know how places are allocated and see if you cant "work the system" and above above all, be persistent to the point of stalking.

Posted

Thanks for your replies, am I wrong in thinking that when a child turns 3 they are entitled to a place (even if it may not be of your choice). Sorry this is all new to me and I have no clue how it works here. We live in Neuss so not sure if there are a shortage of places or not?

Posted

Awful but Pog is about right.

Posted

Make yourself known to as many Kindies in your area as possible and go to every open house meeting they have. Talk as often in person to the people in charge and let them know you want a spot. Let them see you and your kid together and make a good impression of what a good family you are. The "fitting in" that Pog mentioned is something they look at.

And, yeah, you should have started 16 months ago. You will get assigned a spot if you don't pursue matters, but it might be on the other side of town. Better to get one a haltestelle or two away.

Posted

It depends on where you live but I understand that kids are "entitled" to one year of kindergarten before first grade, not the three years we all hope for.

Posted

Thanks guys, I will start applying now and hope that I haven't left it too late.

Posted

I find that it's better if you apply when your young, say 4-5 jahr.