Power outage in Munich, 15.Nov.2012

76 posts in this topic

Posted

According to Antenne Bayern the traffic lights at Luise-Kieselbach-Platz are out of order due to power outage in that part of town; I have also heard that the east of Munich is without electricity as well.

Posted

We just had a five-minute outage here in Schwabing too.

On the Google+ nearby feed others are reporting the same in Laim, Pasing, Giesing, and Trudering.

Looks like it could have been the whole of Munich. Ongoing in some areas.

Posted

We lost power for about ten minutes this morning.

Posted

I've got to get some candles. My bathroom has no windows or other source of light when the power goes out, and I really had to go... If it had been longer than 5 or 10 minutes, I probably would've just felt my way around and stood in the shower... :D

Edit:Schwabing West, here, but I take it it hit large parts of Munich.

Posted

Berg-Am-Laim is blacked out since at least 7:00 am, and I need to wash. Damn!

Posted

Kids were hoping they'd have an excuse to be late for school, I'm sure a few will be.

Though even though the power is on I'm hearing more engine revs and honking than normal on the street - sheesh it was 5-10 minutes people!

Posted

Rammersdorf is still out. Oddly, my O2 cell phone has no reception however the T-mobil cell phone and internet surf stick are both working.

Posted

Ooooh, lights just flickered again here in Schwabing, and the DSL modem rebooted itself.

Posted

I was wondering if I was imagining that, Ed Bob. Kids are at school, I may just go back to bed... Can't work under these conditions ;)

Posted

Power was out in Neuperlach Süd from around 6.55 to 7.40-ish. I'd just gone back to bed with a good book when it came back on. Bugger.

Posted

We live in Sendling and we lost power twice this morning, first between 7-7:45 and again around 8 for another 10 minutes.

Posted

U3 in thalkirchen is impossible. Taking a bus to harras to try to get a sbahn. Traffic is not good.

Posted

Nothin wrong here in milbertshofen.

Posted

Which segues nicely into my topic of investigation this morning.

Since we're almost all using electricity as our sole source of power here in Munich, what are we going to do in the case of a long term black-out.

What I'm asking is, what do you consider reasonable precautions. I've always lived in single family houses until moving to Germany, and I always ensured we had a 2 Kw diesel powered generator, with enough diesel to last for about a week. We also always had plenty of kerosene and a handful of hurricane lamps. Not to mention lots of fresh water available for use. We used the generator once when we were without power for about 18 hours, and the hurricane lamps several times a year for short term power outages, beats the shit out of candle light.

As an apartment dweller, do you have an alternative heat source, light source, or any electrical generator, and a private reserve of fresh water?

Posted

I don't know when mine went in the Au, but it wasn't on when I got up at ten to eight. It may have blacked out seconds before I attempted to switch on the light and it was off long enough for me to test a couple of light switches, open and glare at the fuse box, and then peer out the window and work out that the rest of complex was in darkness too.

Posted

I paid my "leccy" Bill!!! :lol:

Posted

S2 line in direction of Petershuasen is messed up..all trains are moving at snails pace for commuters travelling into city from Erding..Actually the S2 ends at Ostbahnhof and you have to change to get to work!!! :ph34r: . They even informed that the subway too aint working!!

Posted

What is the fate of passengers on their way to the airport? They would be surely delayed, will the flight operators wait or accommodate the delayed passengers on other flights? Will the airport itself function? Did the outage extend that far out?

Posted

As an apartment dweller, do you have an alternative heat source, light source, or any electrical generator, and a private reserve of fresh water?

As I posted above, I realised this morning that I really need to get some candles.

Everything in my apartment is electricity powered; the heating, water heater, stove and obviously the lighting, etc.

I could live without cooking, heat and hot water for a few days, as I would just bundle up and eat out of the extensive supply of canned goods I have for just such an emergency (or simply being hungry after the stores close). I have been told that I don't stink, even if I haven't showered for a couple of days, but at some point, I guess I'd weather a cold sponge bath.

I think I could probably last at least a week without even having to go shopping, if I bought some candles to have on hand.

Posted

Not a happy camper this morning! I didn't get my morning coffe and I get really pissy without my morning coffe! And then i needed 2 hours to get to work cause U3 was impossible and way to crowded for bringing 2 small dogs on board so had to take a bus, s-bahn and walk. Then i let the dogs run lose in a park for 2 minutes and instead of playing the decide to eat SHIT!!! What a nice Effin day! Hm...maybe i should put this in the vent? :ph34r:

Posted

Since we're almost all using electricity as our sole source of power here in Munich, what are we going to do in the case of a long term black-out.

What I'm asking is, what do you consider reasonable precautions.

My house uses electricity for everything, heating, lighting, cooking, hot water and living out in the sticks we get a power cut at least once a year. However they are usually short. In the 20 years I've lived there the longest one was about 4 hours. Unfortunately it happened about 15 minutes after I'd put something to eat in the oven to cook. So that was ruined, but as we had bread and stuff we had Brotzeit under candle light. I always have some candles in the house just for these eventualities and if it happens in the winter I can always light the wood burning fire.

The very worse consequence of a power failure was the last one, which when it came back on again wrecked my satellite receiver! I've since bought a power surge protecter for it's replacement.

Posted

Lets ask New Yorkers what a real power outage is... :lol:

Posted

what do you consider reasonable precautions.

Had the blackout gone longer, I would've boiled water on the goddamned BBQ to ensure my British wife had tea.

woof.