Discuss with yourselves?

29 posts in this topic

Posted

Dear all

I have a rather stupid phrasing question.

When I write a letter to a group of people, is there a way to use the word "you" so that it means a group of "you"s instead of an individual "you".

For instance, when I want to discuss the matter with a group of people. In a formal letter, should I write:

a. I would like to discuss the matter with you all

b. I would like to discuss the matter with yourselves

c. I would like to discuss the matter with you

Or is there another way to write this?

I would appreciate if someone could advice. Thank you.

Posted

Personally, I would choose (a). You can also say "...with all of you." "You" by itself is okay, if a bit vague, but "yourselves" is simply incorrect grammatically.

Posted

I would just say, "I would like to discuss the matter with all of you"

or, do like we do in Texas and just use "y'all" ;)

edit: Jinx, 123, techgirl owes me a Coke™

Posted

I would use either "with you" or "with all of you".

As the others said a. sounds too much like "y'all" and b. is incorrect.

Posted

@zeeklafreek: Next time I'm down that way.

Posted

"Discuss with yourselves" means you won't be involved. See below as an example.

p.s. The woman on the right just ran for U.S. President. :D

Posted

Agree. When you refer to someone as "yourself", it's usually about something not involving you.

e.g

Discuss it amongst yourselves

Help yourselves

Suit yourself

Don't wander off by yourself

Be yourself

etc etc

I wouldn't go as far as saying the use of "yourself" is outdated (from the examples above, it's actually still used quite a bit!), but it can definitely be misused. In these cases it's almost as bad as people that actually say "yous".

Posted

Some friends of mine who teach advanced English at a college outside the city recently hipped me to an inside joke they have about the way their German students write introductions to letters. Evidently the students, almost without exception, insist upon writing lengthy, detailed introductions which, while perhaps even eloquent-on-the-verge-of-poetic, are completely superfluous. They faff about for a paragraph or two, explaining their intentions, plans, hopes, dreams and wishes on a star, rather than just getting to the fupping point.

Maybe if you told us what it was you wanted to discuss with Them we could help better, but I'm guessing you could probably stand to skip it altogether. Without knowing the nature of the subject, my blind stab in the dark is that you could start with something like "A matter which I'd like to address, is ______" or "it's come to my attention that we ______" or "as some of you may be aware, ______" etc. It may very well be that you don't need to further inform them that you have something to discuss with them(selves), that much is evident from your writing to them in the first place. Oder?

Posted

I think that "all of you" indicates the intention of the writer, and that s/he does not simply want to opinion of one person, but that of each and every one.

If, however, you were to tell them to "discuss it amongst yourselves", it would indicate that you have no interest in participating in discussion, and are only interested in their "solution" to whatever is being discussed.

Posted

Back when the singular was 'thou' it would have been clear that 'you' meant several.

Posted

Don´t you mean " ye ", alterjank! For old time´s s :D ake!

Posted

Probably I meant 'thee', being the objective... "to discuss with thee."

Posted

Don't forget, if you want to go with "y'all", if you are referring to more than three other people, it would be "all y'all". ;)

Posted

It certainly is in Liverpool and that second capital of Ireland, Dublin.

Posted

And in parts of Australia (did we get it from the Irish I wonder?)

Posted

Isn't the plural of you - youse?

For Italians in NYC, it is...

Posted

Also used in Eastern Canada. I was on a flight from Vancouver to Toronto and the captain (a native of Ontario, judging by his accent) said "This is your captain Harry Smith. I'd like to welcome youse on board today."

My English Lit teacher in high school was from North Carolina and we used to kill ourselves laughing when she'd say "Good morning, girls. Y'all take your seats."

Posted

My English Lit teacher in high school was from North Carolina and we used to kill ourselves laughing when she'd say "Good morning, girls. Y'all take your seats."

We say 'Y'all' in Texas, too...it's short for 'you all'.

Posted

I know, but to a bunch of Vancouver girls at a private school it was hilarious, especially since Mrs. P was so particular about language otherwise.

Posted

You is quite correct, 'Yourselves' is very outdated ('yourself' used instead of 'you' is an abomination).

I thought it was not very nice to use the word "you". I guess it is time get a little updated.

Thank you for the hint.

What am I going to do without yourselves...oops, I mean you all...:)

Posted

What am I going to do without yourselves...oops, I mean all y'all...

Fixed that for ya. B)

Posted

Well, where I'm from in Cork, we use 'ye' as the plural form of you, so the sentence would then become, 'I would like to discuss this with ye' not sure if that is just a Cork thing though ;)