Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Google Play - Music

46 posts in this topic

Posted

Google Play Music

Google have started a new service today in Germany. Google Play Music. With this service you can upload your music collection (up to 20,000 songs) for free and play them from the cloud. It also goes a music match like the Apple and Amazon services. The main difference being of course they charge for the hosting.

Having ripped a lot of my CDs at 128kb looking forward to seeing how the music match works as it's supposed to upgrade them to 256kb.

Very excited about this service. Hope it's as good as I want it to be...

Posted

Best to click "Disagree" on that link if you just want to read what it's all about. Otherwise you have to enter Credit Card details before you can find out why they want your personal details suddenly.

There is a tour here. But it's also a bit long winded.

I'm not as excited as you are about it. Will you be using it on mobile devices or at home?

Posted

Cheers Ian. I changed the link to just the 'about', I have my google on always logged in so didn't see that...

Posted

I am also logged in. But it wanted me to set up something.

Posted

I have my credit card linked so I can buy apps on my tablet.

So 1800 songs in and the music match looks to be working very well. Happy days.

Posted

It appears that we can only shop on the German market :-( The same for movies (https://play.google.com/movies) the website is in English (UK) according to my settings but all the movie languages are German.

Is their an easy way to adjust this so that I can purchase 'bbc live lounge 2012' or download English books and movies without paying a premium?

The problem is not just with google play, the amazon apps also seems to use your geographical position to determine the market available.

Posted

With Amazon the problem is you need everything setup to the UK. So address, credit card etc. Don't know about the IP address but you possibly need to vpn as well? I had all sorts of fun setting everything up on my tablet as I had my one-click address in the UK and this was used to detect location.

Not messed around with Google yet but I suspect it's the same.

Posted

It looks really interesting. I'm not really wanting to go down the rights/wrongs of illegal file sharing, but to be honest I just don't understand how Google can provide this from a legal perspective. Google can legally provide a site that stores ripped copyright music that allows you to then download it anywhere. I take it they have a mechanism in place so you're not allowed to share it with anyone else and this is not in breach of copyright? I also understand there is no way they can prevent one uploading one's torrent downloaded music (not that I would know anything about that...) Meanwhile individuals can get nabbed for torrent sharing their music, etc? I'm not sure I understand the difference.

Didn't Kim Dotcom run away get chased from Germany and arrested in New Zealand for doing the same thing not so long ago? On a similar note, his new site "Megabox" looks interesting yet similar to the Google Play Music... (as I understand anyway, correct me please)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Kw04ckfO-yA

Posted

Amazon have just had a big runaround trying to sort my apps out on my phone. An hour long phone call and many emails. Geographical location matched the bank, but the account has to be coupled with Amazon.de and the app cache cleared as well for it all to work. They were just as useless setting up the Kindl.

When it comes to expats they are totally lost.

Equally dim of Google and their so-called Sat-Nav that only works if you have a data connection. Cross a border with no data roaming and it's just a pile of smeg! US-centric twats. I was pleased when Eileen from "All about Android" podcast drove into Canada once and discovered their cock-up.

Posted

I spent half a day messing around getting my tablet working. For me it was that the account and address on the one-click had to be in Germany.

Posted

The ironic thing is that they make it really difficult for BUYING things legally while pirating them takes 2 seconds.

Posted

Buying? All that fuss with my account and I was only after Amazons Free app of the day!

Someone said "But Google Play has free apps". Amazons free app of the day cost money on Google Play.

Posted

It's great to be able to call up your music like that. But playing from the cloud will count against your mobile bandwidth won't it? That will be a problem if you are abroad and roaming. You can pack a lot onto a 64gb sdcard and 64gb usb drive.

Posted

Sure, but the problem is most current Smartphones and tablets do not have SD card slots, because they keep pushing cloud services but mobile data is still too expensive.

Posted

Free app of the day well worth having. Check for it every day. Some dross for sure but some absolute gems.

Posted

Sure, but the problem is most current Smartphones and tablets do not have SD card slots, because they keep pushing cloud services but mobile data is still too expensive.

I don't have a smart phone so excuse my ignorance, but don't they have a socket (mini USB?) that you could connect a micro sd card reader to?

Posted

Yes they have one, but it is/was not meant for connecting devices there, the phone itself is the storage device that you connect to a PC. To put it more simple, it is like you have a harddisk and you say "the hard disk has a USB connection, you could connect a USB stick there".

But nowadays there are new tricks to do it, you will still need a cable adapter (and the correct software). But, who wants to walk around with something hanging from his smartphone?

Cheapo smartphones and tablets do come with SD card slots, but then they do not have the same build quality like Apple, Google Nexus series, etc.

And if you decide to go with Android it is advisable to choose a Google Nexus device, otherwise you might not get any software updates next year.

Life is complicated.

Posted

Motorola made a promise to update their devices. Then they reneged on the plan when they dicovered some of the old devices would have problems. They got a lot of flak for that announcment. So now they are offering 100$ for your old phone.

Google is addressing the upgrade problem technically. The PDK is a result of this.

Posted

PDK does not solve anything, the PDK program is just letting the OEMs have a pre-release version a couple of months before the official release in order to give them more time for developing the upgrades. But that's not the problem, the issue is that OEMs do not see any incentive for developing such upgrades. The PDK program started with Jelly Bean and most phones and tablets still do not have any updates. Even worse, there is still tons of people waiting for upgrades to Ice Cream Sandwich.

But this thread is about Google Play.

Posted

Cheapo smartphones and tablets do come with SD card slots, but then they do not have the same build quality like Apple, Google Nexus series, etc.

Thats BS dude. I had a Google G1, it had a micro SD slot, then I had an LG Optimus 2x, it had a micro SD slot, now I have a Samsung Galaxy s2, and it has a micro SD slot. I wouldn't say that these are cheapo smartphones.

Personally, I would not buy a Nexus because of this! That is one of my arguments against iPhones, the inability to expand the storage.