Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Making friends in a Masters program

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I've been thinking about doing a Masters in Germany for a while. Right now I am taking an intensive German course here in Germany.

One of my concerns is making friends. I'm afraid people in a Master program will already have their social circle and won't bother trying to make new friends and socializing. Another thing that worries me is that people there will be much older (I just turned 23).

I'd appreciate if anyone with some experience with this could give their input.

Posted

You might be surprised how many Germans do their Masters late. One of my friends did MA while working at 29-30. Another one is starting this winter at 28. Then also an acquaintance who wants to go back to uni for a MA degree is about 25ish.

It's probably a European thing though as I experienced same in UK where I was one of the youngest one at 20 and plenty of my course mates from EU region were average 30 year old.

I'm sure you'll be fine as there would be plenty of new students coming in and not just continuing from a BA program if that's what you're worried about.

Posted

oh...that kind of Masters program.... B)

Posted

Yeah I thought maybe a servant

Posted

I'm 22 and I just finished applying for a Master's at Uni Freiburg B) No worries. I'll be your friend!

Posted

Can't speak for Germany but I made some lifelong friends in my Master's study. You're all in a pretty similar boat - there'll be plenty of things to bond over.

Posted

Of course people often have existing friends, but I found (within my faculty, at least), that people are pretty open to making friends in seminars with people they click with. So, from that side of things, I wouldn't worry about it.

As for age, I find it depends. Within my program -- which is remarkably small since we have an NC for 15 people per year, so take it with a grain of salt -- people in our "group" range from 24-29, and we are in our fourth-sixth semesters. So, if you're starting at 23, you'll be fine age-wise. In larger programs like History or Sociology, I know people doing their Master's at 22, and then I feel like one of those feared Langzeitstudenten...

Posted

29 is not that much older than 23 in the grand scheme of things... and most of the "older" masters students that I met didn't really act their age

Posted

My husband's a 32-year-old native Berliner (read: has known all his friends since they were barely out of the womb) and now does most of his socializing either with his training buddies, work colleagues (works in a club), work colleagues (works for the university) or fellow Master's nerds. The thing about doing a Master's program is that you necessarily care about similar specific issues, changes to policies and new technologies/ways of storing and sharing information, so you have loads to talk about over drinks in hipster bars, after movies and while standing around at shows. You're right that they can be a bit "closed off" but not to each other, more like, their Master's work is the biggest thing on their minds at the moment and they seem to enjoy spending time with other people who are also working on similar projects (and their GTs can be pretty boring if you're not). You might find that you will find people who are more than eager to hang out with new peeps who understand the nerdy ideas and concepts they have running through their minds. Definitely don't think making friends will be an issue, have fun!

Posted

Hey dont worry at all!

I started my master at 27 in Berlin, and I was one of the oldest ones... the people I hang out here is 22-25.. plus if you are foreign, people tend to be super open and interested in you. And usually there are plenty of intl students in every program, so just be urself and be open to meet everyone... natural selection will do the rest.