About horse back riding in Hamburg

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello,

I enjoy horse back riding here (in Japan) every weekend, however the number of riding people are only 100,000.

The population is over 128,000,000. You can see how small the riding people.

It makes riding unpopular and too expensive to do.

Recently I found Youtube taken in Aechen, so many people come to the equestrian game and struck with surprise!!

I've never ever seen such many people come to see.

So I wonder how popular is riding there, how much does it cost if you want to learn?

Posted

Good question.. we'd also like to ride (non riders) so like to learn to!! But no idea where to... guessing it's out of the city somewhere but not sure where :D

Posted

Hamburg is slap-bang in the middle of horsey country. Obviously in the city itself it's a bit tricky, but in the outlying areas and surrounding towns and villages horses are reared, ridden, jumped, put in front of carts... It's a Big Sport here, so unless you are going to be living in the middle of the city, the nearest riding school isn't going to be more than 15 minutes away

Posted

The area is FULL of horses. Hamburg Stadt would be a bit difficult (although I think there is an indoor riding place in Osdorf on the B431 just a bit further out than the EEZ.

Niedersachsen & Schleswig-Holstein are full of nags - even my wife/daughter have one (stationed in Holm where there are a number of stables).

post-10876-13526510823781.jpg

EDIT:

how much does it cost if you want to learn?

You should ask around - but just as important as the price is the quality of the Schulpferde and the teaching.

Disclaimer: I don't ride, I just get the daily stories at mealtimes.

Posted

You might drop a line to Reitstall Butler. My daughter has been going there for years. I'm sure they have lessons for adults if you ask. The owner, Mr. Butler, is English.

She used to do vaulting at a place further out west in Rissen called Birkenhof. I'm sure you could also take lessons there.

Posted

@Gwaptiva

Obviously in the city itself it's a bit tricky, but in the outlying areas and surrounding towns and villages horses are reared, ridden, jumped, put in front of carts... It's a Big Sport here,

WOW! :o Is that true?  What a lucky place!

If horsemanship is so popular there, you can watch an equestrian game on TV, I guess.

Posted

@HEM

Niedersachsen & Schleswig-Holstein are full of nags - even my wife/daughter have one (stationed in Holm where there are a number of stables).

Great! You should proud of your family!

Nice picture! Your daughter and her horse? How long does she ride? When did she start riding?

The stable her horse stays and the one where she take a riding lesson are same?

Pretty nice horse....hmm...how much do I need if I want to my own horse for weekend riding (not serious, but every week, some years...)

Posted

@style1

Thank you very much for the links! :)

Perhaps I need membership and my own horse first...hmm...wish to move into Hamburg...it is a kind of dream... :(

Do you think if I can see how people practice in the stables you introduced?

Posted

i did a basic level 1 course in horse riding as it was affordable here in Germany, when compared to my native country, India.

Each course had 6 lessons and each lesson was lasting about 40 min. I paid 100€ for the course.

The schools are called "Reitschule" and you can just google them in your area. There will be enough websites which popup, however make sure you register early or you might have to wait till a place gets vacant. This sport is girly sport in Germany and there will be lot of teenage girls in the queue to learn the sport!

Posted

Nice picture! Your daughter and her horse? How long does she ride? When did she start riding?

Its my wife's horse except daughter owns one leg. She started pretty young (photo was on her 20th birthday).

The stable her horse stays and the one where she take a riding lesson are same?

Yes - although in meantime its more that my daughter trains the horse (& sort of teaches my wife).

Pretty nice horse....hmm...how much do I need if I want to my own horse for weekend riding (not serious, but every week, some years...)

Do you realise what the running costs of a horse are? Far exceeds that of my own sport :(

No way do you want to initially "jump in" with your own animal.

To be honest I cannot recommend to you the stables where my wife/daughter ride as the stables are somewhat "run down" and the future is rather uncertain. Spend some time visiting various sites. See how they treat visitors - I do the same when I visit other airfields / clubs & dont let on that I've been flying for 30+ years (trouble is that there is a risk that someone will recognise me).

This sport is girly sport in Germany and there will be lot of teenage girls in the queue to learn the sport!

There will also be a lot of small kids with their mothers hanging helplessly around hoping that some poor sucker will get their kid's pony ready. These ponys usually are scheming as how best to throw their rider off :)

Posted

and yes, show jumping galore on (regional) TV here. It's not really my sport, but even I know that within about 5km of where I live there are at least 4 riding places (just outside of Hamburg on the east side).

Posted

Hello :) I'm interested in horseback riding.. So, i was wondering how much a horseback riding schools cost in Hamburg? I'm interested in that seriosly, i'd like to do dressage.. So i'd like to know for some exelent school :) And does anyone know something about horseback riding academy in Warendorf? I'm interested in that too, but i can't find forum about that specifically..