Internet with DSL but no phone line

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

I have a very specific problem and I hope you guys can help me out. I recently moved to Berlin and wanted to have internet connection in my apartment, so I signed up for this Internet with Dsl contract from telekom. The thing is that I didn't know that you needed a phone line "service" in order to get the dsl, and now I'm stuck with nothing.

So I have a few questions:

-Let's say I sign for a telephone service with telekom, Will I be able to use my Internet with dsl automatically?

-The apartment has the phone sockets from telekom (they have the T logo on them). Will I have to pay any installation costs for the phone line?

I would also appreciate your suggestions and opinions

Thanks in advanced

Tigreton

Posted

I'm ploughing through a backlog of posts, so may be too late to answer this, but I'll give it a go for the future passers by.

I presume Telekom refused your order for the Internet, as you did not already have a phone line.

Phone/DSL based internet is based on a phone line, so this of course is a pre-requisite. As everyone has a phone line (owned by Telekom), this is usually straightforward. If you want to stick with Telekom and don't care about the phone too much, then complete package which includes phone and flatrate internet for 29.95€/month is probably best for you. There is a one-time connection fee of 69.95€, which includes (if necessary) a visit to your home to check the cabling and provide the service to a single ("master") socket. If you sign up on line there is a 10% discount on the monthly fees for the first 12 months. Minimum contract is also 12 months

Posted

if you order the "phone line" now, it should work to use the DSL connection.

OR/(if not, see if you can cancell the already existing package and get what YL6 mentioned, it might be possible since you are ordering something more expensive and Telekom should be sensible enough to do the change.)

Posted

YorkshireLad6 I read the offer from Telecom, which you are also mentioning here... but what I do not see is if Telecom also provides the wireless router? Actually, what do they provide at all?

I also wasn't able to find on their web site if they have the combo, internet with VDSL + TV, without phone. Do you have an idea? It seems also that for some regions VDSL is not available.

Does anyone know if there is a true cable internet provider in Germany? Not a DSL like internet?

Posted

You can definitely find cable internet providers who generally seem to offer far higher internet speeds than most alternative sources.

There are two major, and a few regional, cable providers whose offers you could investigate. The largest area coverage is offered by Kabel Deutschland followed, mainly in the South and South West, by Kabel BW. There are also large local providers for the areas around Cologne and Munich and possibly elsewhere, but I'm not sure of those specific details.

As you haven't included your location in your TT profile there's not much point in me doing any research for you as my results may not even apply in your area.

HTH

2B

Posted

All Telekom packages (as those with other Telecom providers) are based on a phone line and include the phone service, sometimes physical (line-based), sometimes virtual (IP-based). That doesn't mean you have to use it of course. Telekom offer modem/routers for sale or to rent (from around 2.95€/month). VDSL is a cable is a fibre based service. Fibre connections are not available everywhere. Remember - the physical wire into your home belongs to Telekom, so any provider other than Telekom is renting this wire from them, and is unlikely to be able to offer higher internet speeds that Telekom offer. They may offer different pricing or different pricing strategies, as well as have limited special offers to attract new customers, but it's usually a swings-and-roundabout situation. It's often more than just the price you need to compare.

Posted

Here is my update - Unitymedia can provide cable internet and TV in the amount of approximately 39 euros/month, ~50 euros installation fee, speed 150MB, the channels are like 200+, and no phone line, hurai! It takes them about two weeks to get it done, after you order and provide your bank account. I wouldn't want to settle for DSL with lets say VDSL at 50MB, if I can get 3 times faster speed at lower price...

Posted

hi,

I dont know if it is different in Berlin with regards to telekom but while in Nuremberg, I had m-net as my internet provider which came through the telekom owned line and I did not have any services from themas such. I think they have to allow other providers to use their phone line which is connected to the exchange boxes. I was renting the place and only signed up with m-net and they arranged with "T" for getting everything sorted directly. In fact the guy who came to make sure the connection was activated was from telekom. And like I said, I had no phone service or anything else from them. It might be worth a try to check that route for you.

Good luck.