Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How to find someone to help moving

13 posts in this topic

Posted

In January I will be moving from one place to another. They are close to each other but the second one is 4th floor without the elevator.

I was wondering how can I find two people move the heavy stuff upstairs and how much would it cost me?

Posted

I think there are tow mains choices here - either you employ a company to do the move for you, and know that your belongings are insured against theft/breakage during the move, or you get a few friends round to help you with the move, and know that they will do their best, but nothing is insured.

If you want to go for the second option why not post an advert on TT?

I don´t know what the rate of pay would normally be, but it´s definitely cheaper than getting a company in to do the job!

Posted

You don't have your location in, so I can't give you a link - but if you are in a city with a university or Fachhochschule, these will usually have a Studentenjobbörse (student job exchange) where you can list an ad (Need three strong men for 4 hours on ... for moving). I've used these Jobbörse several times, and been very satisfied - but be sure to clarify your expectations up front. And it helps to provide a lunch for them too. ;)

Posted

Thanks. I'm in leipzig and students seem to be a good option. Any idea what's the rate for such job: the issue here is 4th floor without a lift and frifge, washing machine, few bookshelfs, etc.

Posted

We moved about 1 km distance in Meissen with a professional moving company (2 men). Included was lamp removal and reinstallaton, kitchen removal and reinstallation inc. all appliances and washing machine installation, new kitchen counter top (3 m). This was from an erdgeschoss to an ersteobergeschoss It's a 3 room apt. - two bedrooms, with normal furniture -nothing unusual. Total cost was € 740.

Posted

The people at the Jobbörse will be able to advise you on the going rate. I think I paid about 10 Euros per hour, but that was a few years ago. Although that may seem a lot, I was so grateful to have someone to do the heavy lifting, I had no quibbles.

Here's the link for the Jobvermittlung at the Uni Leipzig, btw.

Posted

Thanks for the link the.frollein, I will try there

Posted

Ok. I would need 2-4 persons to carry up heavy stuff like washing machine, bed, fridge, books, etc. to the 5th floor - unfortunately no lift there.

I will be paying 10 eur per hour (with a possibility to some extra if job done smoothly).

It should be done over this weekend - Saturday or Sunday. Latest on Monday.

If someone is interested please call me at 015206836031

Posted

Have a search on ebay Kleinanzeigen

http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/

Posted

I worked for a year for a moving company, and once helping someone move on a weekend. The company paid me 6 euros per hour (but obviously charged their clientes 5 times as much) and this guy we helped in the end gave us 10 euros an hour, all to ourselves. Unless you need some things professionally installed/deinstalled, finding 10 euro/hour help should be possible, and cheaper for you.

Posted

Last time I had a serious move within Germany, I had friends do the light stuff and for the heavy things (washing machine) I looked in the weekly Anzeiger; there are guys there who advertise to do jobs like Umzüge, Entrumpelungen, and so on; they also provide the vehicle. It's like a cross between the two options Robinson suggested - and cheaper. I really wouldn't like students to cart my washing machine up three flights of stairs. What if they fall and break their necks?

Posted

A decent cleaning woman costs €12-15/hr and you only want to pay €5/hr for strong people to work hard? If you want the job done right, you pay for it. An hourly rate of €15-22 per man to get the job done inside 5 hours beats the pants off of €6/hr/man for something that takes three days and results in broken shit.

Let me put this another way: What would YOU expect to be paid for carrying heavy boxes up four storeys? Now, why do you think someone else more able than you would or should do it for less?

woof.

Posted

Where did i write 5eur/hr? Nevermind, i don't care.