'Flu Jab/Grippeimpfung

122 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, since my main job entails a LOT of contact to "the public", and they couldn't care less if they sneeze and cough all over you, I went and got myself a 'flu jab yesterday.

Today my arm is still very painful, and I feel somewhat under the weather... (which, I know, is regarded as "normal")

I was just wondering how many TTers get a jab, or don't, and what their reasoning is.

Thanks for any contribution!

Posted

I got one last year and the year before and had no side effects other than a sore arm for several days. Didn't get the flu either! Before that I was pretty wary since I have a couple of autoimmune diseases and don't need my immune system fussed up any further, but after talking to a whole bunch of different doctors who all said it was OK, I went for it.

Posted

My company even offers it free to staff, in order for them to stay fit and healthy and able to work - not too sure if I agree 100% with their reasoning, but I don't like being ill!

Posted

My husband's company also offers it. He had his last week. He never gets sick anyway, but he figures better safe than sorry.

Posted

We all have an appointment to have our Grippe Impfungen on Monday- the kids, husband and I. Absolutely, and it's covered under public insurance. I am on the high risk list, as are children. My husband does it because he wants the protection and if he didn't do it with us, his firm would offer it.

Posted

It sounds like quite a lot of companies offer it - does anybody know if that is "standard" in Germany?

Posted

I don't know if it's standard, but I suppose it would be in their best interests to offer it.

Posted

Used to get laid up for 2-3 weeks every winter with flu until about 5 or 6 years ago when I finally decided to get the Grippeimpfungspritze. Now I just feel a little under the weather for a few days after the shot and a bit of a sore arm, but no more flu!

Posted

This year I had no after effects at all. However, I had to wait until the second scheduled day at work because they ran out on the first. The doctor told me that he has never known such a high take up.

I know that, when I was in the Netherlands, they used to consider that if they could get a 70% + take up then it would break the back of it spreading. Not sure how accurate this is.

Posted

I had one about 7 yrs ago... Felt shit for weeks after..

Since then I have saved myself about 250€ by not wasting my doctors time!

Posted

Yup, get one every year, have for many years. Some years I have a bit of a muscle ache in the arm and feel a bit under the weather for a couple of days, but never anything to complain about. Definitely better than the alternative!

Posted

Got one for several years in a row, as they were offering them at the Consulate, where I was working. No side effects at all. Have noticed no difference in getting the flu or not. I also work with the public, but just think I have a constitution that wards off the flu. Even colds only visit me about once a year now, and can't remember the last time I had the flu. That said, I don't use any anti-bacterial products and none of that hand sanitizer stuff that is so overwhelmingly popular in the US.

Now that I have posted this, will probably come down with the flu this winter.

Posted

Another who gets one through the company.

I did talk with the company doctor about how necessary it is. He said for young healthy people not so important. Not quite sure what his definition and young and healthy is but happy I fit into it.

I'll probably continue doing it though. Two days slighly sore arm as a payoff for not being laid up with flu seems a very good deal. However I have no adverse reactions when I get it. I'm sure I'd think differently if I were one of those who do react to it.

Posted

Have never bothered getting the jab at all. Result - never had flu despite my road warrior years, now perm. based in Munich working at a very large company as an external employee and having contact with 1000's of potential carriers these last 3 years. Company employees get the jab if they want for free, so like SP, I have saved myself hundreds of euros for not bothering my doc.

Posted

I have never had diptheria, pertussis, or tetanus. By your view, why should I bother being vaccinated or having my family vaccinated?

In fact, for at least 30 of my years, I probably would have survived at least two of the three, so what a waste? Who cares about herd immunity, or making it difficult for communicable diseases to take off and become epidemic or affect those less able to stand the disease?

Why not carry it to the old, infirm, pregnant or otherwise immune suppressed? Not getting a free jab that causes, perhaps, a sore arm for a day makes more sense!

Posted

I have the immune system of an elderly slug, and came *this* close to being hospitalised for flu a few years back (in my late twenties), so I always get vaccinated. (I'm on the reminder list at my GPs as being very high risk, despite my age.) I've always had minimal side effects, and I haven't had flu since - a few colds, yes, but nothing like that nightmarish three weeks in the past. Fingers crossed that remains the same!

It seems the logical choice for me, but I really only benefit. I do find a lot of people dismiss the vaccine if they get a cold or two that winter, even though there's a pretty profound difference between the sniffles and the flu.

Posted

Having turned sixty this year, I'd get it free. I've no idea if I can be bothered, as I've only had proper flu twice in my life. I'm also dithering about whether to go for a mammography this year after reading how they're revising the advice for women in the UK. I've been eligible for a colonoscopy for the last five years, got a referral last year, but didn't go ahead due to having to drink the foul-tasting liquid first. Have now heard that there's a less foul-tasting liquid on offer now, so may give it a go.

Posted

It's also given to those in close contact with those groups (like parents!- or those who live with the elderly), those who are higher risk (I have had pneumonia several times and was also given the pneumonia jab) and freely given to many from their work-

the issue is not whether you should pay for it- my healthy as an ox husband is not expected to pay (and we have public) - but whether those who receive it free should turn it down because they "don't get sick".

Frame it as I can't afford it and I will look at it differently.

Posted

I use public transportation so I get the shot every year and haven't had the flu. My public insurance has always paid for it. I get a sore arm for a couple of days.

Now I can't remember if I got it before I left for the U.S. in August. Not even sure if it was available then. Seeing my GP this week and will ask.

Thanks for the reminder.

Posted

I have been having very bad, long colds since i moved to germany three years ago. My doctor suggested taking flu shot every year, i was initially very skeptical of it but now i will give it a shot (pun intended). Will let you know if it works.

Posted

do they not offer the nasal mist here?

Posted

Fraufruit, August is unnaturally early for the flu shot (they make a new one every year, like cooking it to order)- we just got ours yesterday. You should see if it would have been possible for you to get one that early.

And yes, the arms are sore. One from the flu shot, the other from a dpt renewal. Even though the odds of getting any of those three is relatively small, eh enview.

Had the swine flu a few years ago and thought I was dying- I take flu seriously (as does the German medical system, which pays for the shots- our pediatrician gave them to all of us),