Benefits and financial help for low earners

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello, I'm hoping anybody can give me some advice for financial help whilst living in Germany.

So I'm 21 and left England and moved near Frankfurt a year ago and have been working in a supermarket to get by as I have no savings behind me and i receive no financial help from my parents.

A few months ago I moved into a flat with my boyfriend but really struggle with money as after paying all my bills, petrol and food I have nothing left to save for anything. My boyfriend gets by just fine as he receives full support during his studys at uni.

I have quite a low income and am really struggling to get by at the moment and was wondering if there were any sort of benefits or financial help I can get here in Germany? I have heard of 'Wohngeld' but my boyfriend seems to think its assessed by my parents earnings (who are in the UK) and his parents earnings (which are way to high to get Wohngeld). This was quite a shock to me as his parents have nothing to do with me financially. Is this the way Wohngeld works? Or is there anything else I could apply for to help me with my financing?

I really need a bit more behind me so I can start moving on to better jobs and things. I'm desperate to do some teaching courses but they cost 000's and i'm currently struggling to save pennies!

Please help if you know anything about this sort of thing? Any advice would be much appreciated as I really have no idea if I'm missing out on much needed help or whether I should just suck it up!

Thanks for reading!

Posted

I don't know about any social help available. You are 21 and your parents aren't supposed to be footing your bills.

You mentioned buying petrol. How about selling your car and using public transportation like many of us do?

Posted

You can certainly contact your local Sozialamt and ask whether you are eligible for some kind of support. However, you should know that because you live with your boyfriend, the two of you will be considered a Bedarfsgemeinschaft, which means your joint income (and thus potential assistance by his parents) will be taken into account in all calculations. So he's partially correct there.

You should also know that the various offices have made it more difficult for EU foreigners who can't pay their own way here to get any kind of assistance. It's theoretically still possible, according to some, but it might be a steep uphill climb for you.

Best of luck to you.

Posted

have been working in a supermarket to get by as I have no savings behind me and i receive no financial help from my parents.

You have to work for a living? You poor thing, that's so unfair!

A few months ago I moved into a flat with my boyfriend but really struggle with money as after paying all my bills, petrol and food I have nothing left to save for anything.

The welfare state was not invented to pay for your car nor to top up your savings.

Posted

Wohngeld is not linked in any way to your or his parent's income but solely on what you and your partner have as positive income (after deductions).

oh and:

The welfare state was not invented to ... top up your savings.

Err, she said she had no savings...

Posted

Err, she said she had no savings...

Which proves that taxes would be better spent on education, at least yours. Zero is a number like any other – welfare was not invented to top up savings, not even when they are zero.

Posted

You are 21 and your parents aren't supposed to be footing your bills.

The Jobcenter will tell you something different.

Posted

You can find a wohngeld calculator at http://www.geldsparen.de/inhalt/rechner/Soziales/Wohngeldrechner.php

Other than that, you can of course look for a better job, work more hours or cut down on your expenses. Do you really need a car for example?

Posted

Thank you for all your replies!

Although maybe I should have commented further by saying the car isn't actually my car, I just borrow it and pay for the petrol that I use, which actually worked out cheaper than paying 8euros to get to work and back by 2 trains and 2 buses, which doubles the length of my journey too.

Currently looking for another job, and much closer to where I live so I don't need to borrow the car at all, however with a lack of decent german its easier said than done.

Does anybody actually know if it is the law for parents to support their children? As I keep reading online that they should be, however I could never demand my parents for money as they haven't supported me since I turned 18 which I think is rightly so for a working girl, so perhaps LaChemois, you keep your sarcastic remarks to yourself as they certainly don't help me, and I love working and have worked everyday since I was legally old enough too, mastering 2 jobs 7 days a week on top of school with a big smile on my face.

Nor do I wish for financial help in order to pay for my car (as I don't own one) or just to have savings, I'm just worried as I am never going to get anywhere without being able to save a penny, and I would really like to get on with some teaching qualifications so I can get myself into a career.

What made me ask and mention about parents financially supporting their children was when I previously applied for doing an Ausbildung, but for the ausbildungs I was offered the pay was so low the only way I could continue was with the 'ausbildungsbeihilfe' however they told me it depends on what my parents earn (which was too much) so I couldn't get anything. She also said the law in Germany was that parents have to support their children if they can during studies unless they are unable to. Although I have no idea if thats the way it works in England too, or if its different as my parents are separated.

Thanks to everybody for your help! Will look into all the wohngeld calculators and things now!

Posted

Parents in Germany must support their children until the age of 25 unless they complete an apprenticeship or other education first. I don't think that applies to wohngeld but it would apply if you were making so little money that you qualified for a welfare top up (Hartz IV) and probably the same thing with an ausbildungs top up. What you could do is do an apprenticeship but work extra on the evenings/weekends. Then you might have enough to get by. Your wages increase during the apprenticeship so it only gets better.

Posted

My Ger man had to pay until his son was 27 and in school. Not complaining, money well spent. The laws must have changed.

The thing was, if his son chose to move out from Mom's house, he could have claimed money from her as well.

Posted

That's because parents receive Kindergeld for that, until 25.