Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

French speeding fine

29 posts in this topic

Posted

Was in France a couple of months ago and I've just been sent a 135 Euro speeding fine for doing 56km in a 50 zone! Does anyone know if I don't pay up whether I'll get locked up for 10 years next time I go to France or if they're just trying their luck and won't follow anything up?

I'm guessing I'd have to at least get stopped next time I'm there for anything to happen or are they more aggressive about chasing these things?

If it makes a difference the fine was actually sent to a UK address where my licence is registered so they don't have my German address...

Ta!

Posted

Well if you now change your UK licence for a German one, I am not sure if they will ever find you!

Don't quote me on that however.

Posted

Why would you not pay it?

Because I find it excessive, I don't have to agree with something just because it's the law...

Posted

That makes sense but the law is the law.

You will probably save yourself a lot of worry and hassle if you just pay up and mark it down on the learning curve of life.

Posted

Because I find it excessive, I don't have to agree with something just because it's the law...

Do not pay it and keep us updated!

Posted

You mean they sent you a request for a donation and not a demand to pay your lawful debt?

Posted

You will probably save yourself a lot of worry and hassle...

Very sensible and I'm sure you're right... ffs.

Do not pay it and keep us updated!

Thanks, your reply makes me even more convinced I should pay...

Posted

Hmm, though I don't agree with the statement "the law is the law," I do think you should at least pay this to save YOURSELF a headache. Aren't things like this linked in the EU, or something? They could put a warrant out for your arrest, no? Switzerland does that, I think.

Posted

Technically, police officers are not the judicial power and they cannot (and do not) levy fines; only a judge can do that. They do, however, send you a "proposal of settlement", that is, a proposal that says "if you pay amount x (135 yoyos in your case), we'll let it go".

So, I am sure that you will have been given to reject the proposal and let the case proceed to court, where you can defend yourself against the charges. Of course, you'll have to travel to France to attend because in absentia you'll be found guilty and will face a fine that is even stiffer than the settlement.

You makes your choice and takes your chances...

Posted

FYI, 135 euros is not the fine for going 56 in a 50 zone, its the fine for going either:

a. Between 0 and 19 too quick in a below-50 zone

b. Going between 20 and 50 too quick in a 50 zone (with sliding levels of points and suspensions)

Both of which are most definitely NOT excessive (you are annoyed about the cost more than anything, I gather).

Posted

Well not according to this, assuming my French is good enough:

Vitesse: Limitee a 50km, Enrigistree a 56km ... Montant de l'amende forfaitaire: 135 E

I'm not making this up!

Posted

Here is an official leaflet on speed limits in France (FR/ENG). From page 2 (last column):

Excess of speed limit of less than 20 km/h

(for speed limits under or at 50 km/h) [fixed penalty] € 135

Posted

Yep, just posted a pic but realised you were agreeing with me!

Posted

It's excessive for a reason - to discourage speeding. If you really "don't agree" with the fine, then take a stand and don't pay it. You don't need us to tell you where your moral standing is.

What you're really asking is can you get away with it. And the answer to that is probably not. If they charge 135 euro for exceeding the speed limit by 6km, you can surmise the penalties for unpaid fines and disregard for the law.

Posted

there is an unwritten rule of the French code:

if you don't pay your fines, you will spend the afterlife in a 'gendarmerie'. Nothing too dramatic, but not really cosy in the back of a Peugeot 205.

However, if you are English, they have a special itching. Remember Jeanne d'arc? no? well, the french still do... they have incendiary tendencies around English pals who don't pay their fines.

Do you want to burn forever in the afterlife (not to confuse with hell, which is actually comfortably warm in the winter months)?

A Bon Entendeur Salut!

Posted

Dude, just pay the ticket and remember this when next visiting France...case closed.

Posted

I agree, why pay the fine, leave it and keep us up to date....from jail.

Posted

If you have to ask if you should pay the fine or not, then you obviously already know what the right thing to do is, and are simply looking for some idiot to give you a good reason not to pay up.

You obviously were speeding, so get on a pay the fine, 'cos you got caught!!!

Posted

i would not pay it a mate of mine got fined euros by the swiss for doing more than allowed on a motorway and the police here cam knocking on the door.There is no deal between the German and Swiss Government and i told the police that they just shrugged and left it.No problem.The thing being is that if he enters Switzerland within the next 5 years they will nobble him so you know what to look for.

Posted

What you're really asking is can you get away with it.

Groan... That's exactly what I'm asking, I don't need any help with the morals of it.

Posted

Groan... That's exactly what I'm asking, I don't need any help with the morals of it.

Perhaps you needs some help with this financially since you're grappling with paying 135 Euros. Your peace of mind knowing no one is looking for you pursuing a debt makes it worth it.

Posted

Since 1 Oct 2011, all tickets issued worth over 45 euros will be followed up through local traffic police system (read: Flensburg)

Posted

Perhaps you needs some help with this financially since you're grappling with paying 135 Euros...

Ahhh, it's getting a bit passive aggressive now. Thanks everyone for the info - sounds like it makes sense to pay it. Maybe I'll start a thread on the ethics of road traffic offences another time as I've clearly touched on some serious issues in this thread.

Posted

A friend of mine who had an apartment in Austria was caught speeding in Switzerland. He rented it out as a holiday flat and moved abroad for work. The Swiss authorities kept sending hime Mahnungen, etc. which he never received.

Long story short, he was on a train which passed into Switzerland, was taken off the train to the police station and made to pay several thousand euros in fees, etc.

I would pay the original fine.