Special people in your life

22 posts in this topic

Posted

My physiotherapist bends, stretches, twists, massages and generally manhandles my recovering arm, which is normal. The fact that he chews gum visibly and audibly all the while makes him special: I cannot stand seeing and hearing gum chewed but his treatment makes me feel so much better that I can endure the 40 minutes of unpleasantness.

Posted

My grandmother. She survived the bombing of her town when she was 15, her home burned down, her father lost his job because he refused to join the Nazi party and she went on to become the strongest person I ever knew. When I was a teenager she and my mother could really give me a hard time, but as I get older any struggles we ever had disappear in the strong admiration I feel for her.

Posted

Most of all: has been messed around and had his heart broken and is not terribly happy, but never once lost his faith in humanity, his positive attitude or his readiness to help others. The guy is trully an inspiration.

Is that "Matt," you're on about??

Posted

righter, good for her! That's an inspiring story. Chaos, why did you and this guy split up? Send me his number! I'll call next time I'm lonely!

Posted

@ righter - wow. Your daughter is awesome.

@ Druid - Matt? No. Never dated a Matt. Never even had a close friend called Matt. Am I missing out?

@ Justanne - don't ask me. I guess I just wasn't enough for him. We dated first for a few weeks and then split up due to a mutual female friend getting him drunk and pulling him - gah - the sad thing was, she wasn't interested in him, she was interested in me. And she'd previously led him on for a very long time to stop him being with me. He thought he was over her, and was totally gutted about what happened, and decided to split up with me because he felt he couldn't trust himself and didn't deserve me. A few months later we got back together and the thing had time to be a bit more serious, but he eventually told me that I was "the most wonderful person he knew" but something wasn't right. And that was that, basically! I still love him, he knows it, my husband even knows it, but we both know we're only meant to be friends, and our feelings for each other have matured accordingly. I am not, don't know if I ever was, in love with him. But I have that kind of love you have for friends who have demonstrated their worth and your worth to them, which is a rare thing. He gave a reading a my wedding, and it was a privilege to have him there. Luckily he and my husband are great friends - J's comment: "It warms my heart to see you happy". My Mum's comment on the eve of my wedding: "It's a shame it didn't work out with J" (!). The only sad thing is that J would like to find a partner and hasn't yet... he says he has a lot of love to give to the right lady, and I wish she'd turn up! He's not in the same country as you, though, Justanne. Although his track record suggests that he wouldn't mind if he liked you!

Posted

My daughter says she reacted purely on instinct. It took a few seconds to register, but then there was no thought involved. Just get in there and stop them jumping on him and stamping on his face. She said she had never imagined such brutality. Unfortunately, she is now a tiny bit traumatised, as she says she is constantly thinking about it, and a bit nervous about having to make an official statement at the station next week. Proud dad'll be with her though. I myself was worried about the thugs recognising her at a future date, but she just laughed and said they'd have to go looking for someone who looks like a zombie then.

Posted

I would like to say a special thank you to all of those wonderful people who do home deliveries at any hour of the day or night.

I would never have made it to 6AM without being able to nip into the sauna for a quick recharge every 30 mins ;)

Posted

righter, your daughter is a legend. I'm so glad she got the recognition she so richly deserved!

On a totaly different note, I spent the weekend with some old friends (flatmates from student days) of my husband, at a 30th birthday/xmas get together. Not only was this awesome fun, but yes, these are special people. There are three guys (including my husband) and their three wives, plus 3 other guys (all gay :) ) and 2 other girls, who are college friends of the other two wives. My husband and I are the latecomers to this grouping, but nowhere do I feel more comfortable and accepted, or have more fun. There are lots of ways in which this group is special, but just for an example (and this really deserves kudos) both couples (who now live down the road from each other (though some 250 miles from us!) and so shared the hosting) made their kitchens 100% gluten free, cooked gluten free cakes and bought expensive gluten free bread, sausages etc. Mostly when we stay with friends, my husband gets ill (due to cross-contamination) - not these guys.

Given that they all work incredibly hard and that I know exaactly how much effort that entails - kudos, indeed.

Oh, and one of the other girls wanted to leave at 1.30 pm on Sunday. So on top of what they did for us, one of the host couples also got up at 7 am (after a 3 am bedtime) to make sure the Christmas dinner (which was Amazing! and included homemade gf stuffing!) was ready in time for her to eat and catch her train. And they wouldn't let us help. Thank goodness we managed to get in the sink and do the washing up at least. But utter awesomeness on their part.

Posted

@righter - your daughter has done an extremely brave deed. You have every right to be proud of her. Please pass on my sincere appreciation and kudos to her.IMHO the upbringing of your daughter by you has played a major role in it as well.

As a young father of a year old daughter,I look up to you with admiration. I doff my hat to you and your daughter!

Posted

Wow, thanks for your kind words zephyr. I'm not really sure how much influence I've had on her (or my son for that matter - he is similarly wired) or how much I have instilled over the years. If I'm honest, I dont think it was much - well not directly anyway. They just seem to have these values and instincts. I certainly don't think I have and probably may have been a gawker myself! I just dont know.

Posted

Even if we don't know a hero ourselves, we know people who know heroes. Thank you for posting about them - what inspirations they are!

Posted

Oedipa, you should write all that in a Christmas card to him.

Ah, yes, all those things we never say to those we love (and then, all of a sudden, it's too late and we never get to do it), but have no problem posting on a public forum to complete strangers...

Mom would be crazy jealous if he'd get such a card, and she wouldn't, and since we always celebrate Christmas with my Mom's family I suppose I also have to write one for my 2 aunts and my uncle, and crap, now I'm overwhelmed. I'd have to get drunk a couple of more times before Christmas to write all that! :D

Beautiful idea though. To hell with presents one can buy!

Wow, he's a lucky dad to have you as his daughter

You just made my day, mister!

Thank you so much.

Posted

To a certain Mr Metall, who patiently (and sometimes impatiently ;) ) deals with my trauma, my health issues, my autistic quirks...

...and to his parents, never mind how wacky or uneducated they may be - they took me into their hearts and their family.

There's healing to be found in people like these.

Posted

This one is for G, my flatmate.

I bought 3 wooden Christmas stars and put them on kitchen walls before I left Munich for holidays. He just returned after being home in Austria for 10 days.

It's great that there's three of them, so each of us gets one, he says dead serious while inspecting the kitchen. When we all move out one day, and end up scattered all around, we'll each take one and show them the world. Then, once we're old, we'll get together and live together one more time before we die, old and wrinkled, when our families won't like us anymore because we'll lose our hearing, and get Alzheimer's, and become annoying cranky old farts. And we'll unite our Christmas stars one more time, and tell each other stories about where each of them got to be, and all the corners of the world they've seen in the years that went by.

And I'm thinking, shit, man, I know you're talking nonsense, but I don't know anyone who I can share so much nonsense with and play along and pretend it's all true.

But I say: and we'll take out a huge map, put it on the floor, and circle all the places where our stars got to live, and talk long into the night, drinking white wine and going to the toilet way too often.

And he smiles. And I smile. And my other flatmate gets out of his room when he hears us laughing, and has the hugest smile on his face when he sees him, and the two men hug and I'm happy, although I woke up in a crappy mood, oh so so so so crappy. And the flat is home again, because he's back.

I love you to bits, man. You're like a brother I never had, you're like a piece of childhood that I get to relive again, you're the best girlfriend to share my love troubles with, the adventurer that gives me a gentle push and stands behind me for whichever crazy thing I come up with, and the one who turns a flatshare into a family for all of us, over and over and over again.

I hate that you'll be gone for three months, and already can't wait for you to come back. I wonder about the Californian beaches that the first wooden star will get to see. If I had the money to buy it, I'd already have a ticket in my pocket, and packing my star into a suitcase to visit you.