New German organ donation law

30 posts in this topic

Posted

So I got a brochure from my Krankenkasse about a new organ donation law. However, I still don't understand what should I do to be permanently included in the database of potential donors? The brochure sais the following "Die Krankenkassen sind seit dem 1 November 2012 gesetzlich dazu verplichtet, alle Versicherten ab 16 Jahren persönlich über die Organspende zu informieren.".

The question is: doesn't it mean that I should go to the office in person? Should those who refuse organs for transplantation also go in person?

Or it would be possible to do it by mail?

The Krankenkasse has also attached an Organ donation ID, so does a new law stipulate that one should carry it at all times?

What will really change from now?

Posted

Mid-2012 the German law on organ donation was revised, and now all public and private health insurance providers are to ask their clients over the age of 16, every two years, about their attitude toward postmortem organ donation.

This seems to have been a compromise solution, as in some quarters hopes were that Germany would move toward what Austria and many other countries have, called a Widerspruchsregelung. Basically, this means that, unless you lodge an objection, in case of death it is assumed that your organs will be donated. Instead, Germany decided to stay with the Entscheidungsregelung, i.e. you decide yourself whether or not your organs will be donated, but if you don't decide for it, then they won't be donated - but they also decided to remind everybody every two years. Whether this will help to raise the terribly low number of organ donors, I don't know, but I kind of doubt it.

You don't have to go anywhere in person. Contact your health insurance provider and let them know if you want to become an organ donor, and it will be recorded (also goes onto the new health insurance chip card). I've always had an organ donor card, so carry it with me, and personally think it's a good idea to continue doing that.

Posted

Ach so, I was confused with the word "persönlich". Maybe they will send a form to be filled then. I do carry Organspendeausweiss with me, but what they will do, e.g. it will be destroyed in a car crash?

Whether this will help to raise the terribly low number of organ donors, I don't know, but I kind of doubt it.

Well, I think yes, if it will be compulsory to be written on the Health Insurance Card. Let's see...

Posted

There is nothing you need to do, apart from continue (or start) carrying the donor card (one will have been sent with the letter). Your wishes to donate are not currently stored on your insurance card, although there are long-term plans to implement this. You'll be reminded in s similar way every 2 years, when you get a new insurance card, or when your insurance premium changes. There are no plans in the near term to record your wishes centrally - they will rely on your carrying the card, or relaying your wishes to your next of kin so they can convey them should something happen to you.

Posted

@ YL: Thanks for clarifying that. My Krankenkasse has made some noises along the lines of "storing info on chip card", but the whole process of switching over to this "new" card is messed up anyway.

Posted

There is space on the new card (the one with your mug-shot), but it's currently empty. There are a number of emotive issues with storing this information centrally or hidden from view on the card in case you change your mind at sometime and these data sources are not up to date when you meet your maker.

Posted

I carry a donor card, but I also have an iPhone app called Organspende. I've stored my contact details, donor preferences and blood group in it. The app then creates a summary page which I have as my lock screen. That way, if I'm ever in an accident, anyone who picks up my phone will see that I'm an organ donor without having to root around for my donor card. Of course I hope it never comes to that, but it gives me some peace of mind, anyway.

Posted

Ask your GP if you have any medical conditions disqualifying you from being a donor. After my clotting disorder was discovered I had to deregister from the organ donor and bone marrow donor databases and discontinue donating blood as well. Not happy about that.

Posted

In Ireland there is a little box on the back of your driving licence, that you can tick if you want to be an organ donor and as most donations come from crash victims (mostly motorbike) who will have their licence with them this makes the process very simple, ok in Germany they have driving licences for life, but under EU rules which Germany are in the process of implementing they will have to change to 10 year driving licences, they can then implement this system, most people always tick yes. As Germany is changing the driving licences, this is a non issue, as the rate will naturally increase when people are given a simple option to agree and opt in

Posted

The new licences in Germany are a plastic credit card type though, so no option to just tick something like on the old paper licences.

Posted

they will have to change to 10 year driving licences

15, not 10. Starting effectively in 21 years...

Posted

Ambulance guy #1: This dead girl's got an iPhone buried in her spleen

Ambulance guy #2: What a waste of a young life... how about a game of angry birds?

Ambulance guy #1: Pah - screen's locked, but hey, what's this? iSpentOrgan?

Posted

Ask your GP if you have any medical conditions disqualifying you from being a donor. After my clotting disorder was discovered I had to deregister from the organ donor and bone marrow donor databases and discontinue donating blood as well. Not happy about that.

Posted

I know gay people are not allowed to be blood donors, but are they allowed to donate organs in Germany? Based on the little research I did on google, it seems that organ donation is allowed.

Posted

So much blood is donated that one of the primary risk assessments is a simple questionnaire to assess the potential that donated blood may be a risk to the recipient. Gay blood donations are instantly excluded as being potential higher risk to the recipient without the cost of further tests. Organ donations from gay donors are not excluded at the outset but are subject to higher levels of testing (as a result of questioning) to assess suitability

Posted

Anybody know the German rules on British organ donors? I know I can't give blood here, and I wasn't allowed to donate my placenta/cord blood for research, as I'd lived in the UK for more than a certain number of years, and there is a BSE/CJD risk. The only info I can find about pre-exisiting medical conditions and organ donations only says that HIV and active cancer diagnoses rule it out, and anything else will need to be discussed with a doctor at the time.

Posted

dunno about organ donation, but you can register as a bone marrow donor.

if you are on FB take a look here https://www.facebook.com/DKMS/app_432387213452269

Posted

Done!

Thanks for the link MB.

Been meaning to do that for months.

Posted

you're welcome.

now that I think on, I donated baby's placenta for research, the hospital were certainly aware of my nationality etc.

that was only in 2010.

I do carry an organ donor card, haven't thought about any nationality-related BSE/CJD risks.

we donate blood whenever we are back home in the UK if you look online you can see where / how.

Posted

regarding the organ donor cards:

I just received a set in the mail, but unfortunately, when I opened the letter the glue ripped off the top half of the text on each card (it's one of those types where the paper is folded and glued together - no envelope). They are unusable :(

So does anyone know where I can get a card?

Posted

I picked up one at my local TK office. They had a whack of them on each desk.

Posted

here is a PDF one http://www.organspendeausweis.org

you can order a plastic one here https://www.organspende-info.de/articles/2081

Posted

You can also get an Organspenderausweis at the Apotheke.

Posted

Ther's nothing quite like a good Sunday roast sirloin with YPs.