New income threshold for private health insurance

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Whether public or private health insurance is better or not for you is an issue by itself. That is not an easy question and depends on many factors.

I just want to inform those employees who may be speculating with going private that the income threshold is changing from January 2013.

In 2012 you needed to have earnt at least 50,850 per annum gross to be able to switch from public to private health insurance or to take out private insurance for the first time as a newcomer to Germany.

The number will change as of January: 52,200 euros gross p.a.!! Then you will be over the so-called Versicherungspflichtgrenze! If you reach that figure, you can, of course, then continue in public insurance as a voluntary member/freiwillig Versicherter.

By the way: this 52,200 euros includes your " normal " gross income, so-called Vermögenswirksameleistungen/VL in short!, Xmas and holiday payments.

It does NOT include: payments to pensions from your salary ( Direktversicherungen ), child benefit/Kindergeld, for example , and, overtime payments ( depends, though ) or travel costs.

These figures remain irrelevant for the self-employed/freelancers, who can take out private health insurance whatever their income ( doesn´t mean they´ll automatically be accepted, though ). :)

Time for a lie down!

Posted

Hi Jhon,

Thanks for the information, i was looking for this.

I have a question related to this. What if someone has 52200 salary level with FULL TIME job (38 hours) per week and later he switch to 30 hours a week job ( Job is permanent), which of course will impact on his salary amount as well. Can that person continue to have the PRIVATE health insurance or he have to go back to the PUBLIC?

And as he is not working full time, will this impact the contribution of the company as well or no?

Thanks

Posted

You´ll have to go back to public insurance, MWB.

Then ..if you´re in public insurance, the usual rules apply: 8.3% of your gross salary is for public health insurance contributions, 7.2% for the employer.

Posted

I stayed in the public health system voluntarily once I hit the threshold. Will anything change if I now slip below it again? Most of all, can the public insurance refuse to insure me?

Thank you for the PSA.

Posted

If you slip below, the only thing changing is that you'll be considered "pflichtversichert", i.e. compulsorily insured again instead of voluntarily... so there will be no change in your affilitation to your public health insurance, only that you could not even get out if you wanted to. And, technically speaking, right now you are probably paying your public health insurance contributions directly to the public insurance of your choice and get the co-share from your employer. If you slip below, the costs for public health insurance ought to be paid directly by your employer and you get your share deducted from your pay.

Cheerio

Posted

What happens if I'm now private and I slip below the threshold again as say for example my salary is 51keuro? Do I have to go gesetzlicher again? will they let me go back? I only just went private!

Posted

You would have to go back to public - no ifs and buts!

However ---but I´ll have to check the details - I think you can stay private if you´ve been there 10 years or so..can´t remember exactly off hand!

Posted

i was public, then went private, then back to public during the 6 months after being laid off...am still public after almost 3 years with new company.

have been told i can't go back to private.

Posted

Depends on your current income, zeeklafreek! Nothing else ( plus possible health issues ). Who told you that???And why???

Posted

hmm...i think it was my old private insurance company, as i was leaving them.

i qualify from in income standpoint.

Posted

Hmm, whether private insurance is good or possible for you or whether public is better depends on so many things.

If it´s important for you, just contact the usual suspects here!

:D

Starshollow, John g. et al.

Posted

i was public, then went private, then back to public during the 6 months after being laid off...am still public after almost 3 years with new company.

have been told i can't go back to private.

hmm...i think it was my old private insurance company, as i was leaving them.

i qualify from in income standpoint.

here is one possible solution for the puzzle: as you say, what happend to you with getting back to public insurance after being laid off happened 3 year ago. At that point, from 2009 til 2011, there was a special new rule in place that you could only get back into private health insurance after three consecutive years of being over the threshold - which obviously you could not qualify for when you started working again with the break thru unemployment and public health insurance. So, any info that you did not qualify to get back to private insurance AT THAT TIME was correct based on this rule. However, this rule has been overthrown ever since and now it is good enough (again) to be just one year over the legal threshold - hence I am reasonably sure that you could switch to a German private health insurance now at any time with two month notice.

If you are set to do that, hurry to get the new contract for private health insurance approved before Dec 21st (even if the starting date for you would be February 1st 2013 with the usual cancellation period in public health insurance) as for all Male the private insurances will get significantly more expensive in new contracts starting after DEc 21st due to the new Unisex tariffs.

Cheerio

Posted

I just started my employment on the 1st of Feb, will need to sort out the health Insurance next week. I'm going to start with Public Health Insurance and see how it goes. My question is: i will need to get prescription for a existing condition so as my pills are running out. How long it going to take to get a Public Health Insurance cover? Who should arrange this - my employer or myself? As I am paying the cost from my salary from the 1st of Feb, surely I am covered by the system?

Please advise.

Posted

Justin: typical situation. Your employer has not bothered to give you any information. You are not covered until you sort it out. Good employer: helps. Bad employer: you do it yourself.

Posted

Sorry if my post last night wasn´t very helpful, Justin! You could phone Techniker ( public insurer ) on 0800 2858585 and ask for an English speaker. Techniker can provide you with the forms in English. Or ask one of brokers advertising on Toytown - all would help.

Basically, you´ll also need a copy of your work contract, a copy of your passport, your Anmeldung in Germany, address, bank account details. If all is available, you can get insured within a few days.