Where can you *not* lock a bike?

12 posts in this topic

Posted

I've tried searching, but can't find any information on this topic...

My street is lined with trees, and each tree has a little patch of dirt around it, surrounded by a short metal fence. Every tree that I can see here from my window has a bike or two locked to these little fences.

A have occasionally locked my bike out there as well when I was in a hurry, the hausmeister has seen me and chatted to me and never said anything about it being a problem. However, when I got home today my bike was gone.

I would assume it's just been stolen, but I checked out the tree and the dirt has all been raked and groomed. I'm pretty sure this has happened before when my bike was locked there but I can't help but wonder if maybe bikes are not supposed to be locked there and can therefore be removed when someone comes along to rake the dirt.

Or maybe just the hausmeister rakes the dirt, I honestly have no idea. But does anybody know about the bike locking thing? There's no sign which says I can't lock it there, and as I said, all the other trees have bikes locked to them. Did my bike simply get stolen?

Posted

Why don't you ask the hausmeister first, then?

Usually there is a sign if you're not supposed to lock your bike somewhere. I've never heard of a bike simply being removed from one of those short fences. I have, however, heard of them being stolen, especially in Friedrichshain.

Posted

I hate to be a pessimist, but I would bet that your bike has been stolen. Sadly, this happens a lot in Berlin (probably in other cities too)

Posted

Those tree railings are rather insecure. The horizontal bar will normally slide out, or a strong kick will bend it out of the post.

Posted

Asking the hausmeister is a good idea, I'll do that.

Yeah, I guess it's more likely than anything that it's been stolen. I realize bike theft is super common here and well, in most big cities. Although I'm shocked that anyone would want my POS bike! I always assumed that if it got stolen, it would happen at the U-bahn station where I often leave it for hours at a time, not on my quiet street. Oh well...c'est la vie.

Posted

always lock the frame and at least one wheel to something. less likely to get stolen if someone has to carry it away and then cut the lock off. If the lock is just around the frame - the thief doesn't even need to cut it off, can just ride around leaving it on.

quite street = no one watching!

some diagrams etc

Posted

Hipsters stealing from hipsters. A vicious cycle.

Posted

Sheldon's lock technique is in my opinion the best. It looks bad because you are not locking the frame, but after you read the explanation you get it. And the best, you can use it with a smallish lock.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

Posted

the problem with that method is dumb ass gits don't understand it, and have the bike half disassembled before realising, and prob f it up by taking bolt cutters to the rims and kicking the s out of it.

Posted

Cable locks? U-locks? Sounds kinda 80s. You know, back before Abus started selling chains with half-inch thick welded steel links.

All you need to cut open a U-lock is a good arm and about three minutes with this:

post-18197-13523113738541.jpg

Posted

kato: I'd like to see you get through a decent, modern u-lock with a hacksaw in a few minutes, the determined bike thief of today normally has to use a portable angle-grinder or large bolt cutters to get through them.

If it was a cable lock though pretty much every one can be defeated by a hacksaw easily, that or tough shears.

Remember you're only as safe as your lock and the thing you lock it too! And if you have a bike worth stealing the thief will no doubt just come back at night when he/she has all the time in the world (so bring it inside if at all possible).

Posted

if someone wants to nick a bike they can. Better locks just make your bike look more of a hassle than less secured bikes.