Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

German Language Schools Hamburg

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

I am planning on commencing intensive German classes in Hamburg when I move there in March/April next year. I am currently planning for this move and one difficulty that I am having is finding a suitable language school.

I plan to study German intensively for 6 months. I have considered the Goethe Institut and Tandem. While I like what Goethe have to offer, in particular their intensive courses, I find there classes to be very expensive and if I was to study intensively for 6 months, that would cost over €6k!

I have heard reviews for Tandem, I get the impression that while it is cheaper, it is not as well organised as Goethe and they haven't responded to my email queries.

I would greatly appreicate any comments people have on the intensive course available in Hamburg and the cost of these courses.

Also, is anyone aware of a way to get discounted course fee (i.e. a student price or something similar).

I am a tax professional so it is important to me that the classes are well structured and focused and that the other participants in the classes are like minded. My objective is to gain employment in Hamburg once I have gained a grasp of the language.

Thank you all in advance.

Regards

Posted

Hi and welcome to TT. Good thinking to start planning ahead on how best to acquire German language skills. Please do use the search function, as this is a topic that comes up frequently. Here are some of the more recent threads on German language schools in Hamburg:

* Hamburg language schools: Info, student reviews and related advice

* Wanting to learn German: Best place to learn German in Hamburg

* Tandem language school Hamburg: Is it any good?

* Berlitz school in Hamburg

There are lots of online resources you can use even now - the more you learn before you get here, the better. There are some good tips on resources available in this thread: Learning German cheaply.

All the best!

Posted

Fantastic post @the.frollein!

Reading though the links now! Your help is much appreciated!

Posted

Hi

I'm just wondering if there is a comparison available setting out the duration of the intensive language courses for each level.

So far, Goethe seem to complete a level every 4 weeks whereas Tandem have told me that it takes 8 weeks to complete one of their intensive courses.

Thanks!

Posted

try Speakeasy24.com :rolleyes:

we have a very effective program and not nearly as expensive as Goethe.

Good luck and look forward to hearing from you!

Your Speakeasy24 Team

Posted

I've attended Tandem for 5 months so far and it's been great for me because there are benefits like having a Tandem partner and you can take extra courses in the afternoon and focus on where you need extra help or language for a specific area of life. But if you want to get thru the courses in shorter time and participate in the most intense program, then your best bet is Goethe ... But my personal opinion is if you are living here/staying long term, save your money go to Tandem or somewhere like that, and spend more time in the culture and that's where you will really get dialogue practice ... It's a type of learning you can't get in any class.

Posted

Hi, I will go to follow german clases at Colon , in february. I was happy with the program , becouse I can bring. and take my kid on time to kindergarden .

Good luck to all of you!

Posted

Deutsche Welle - a German "BBC equivalent" has brilliant on-line courses - completely free.

See:

Posted

does anyone have any experience with "did deutsch-institut" in Hamburg? it seems slightly less expensive than Goethe-Institut (4 weeks 740 euro) but more so than Colon and such schools mentioned here.. if anyone knows anything about this school, I would appreciate any information!

Thanks.

Posted

Deutsche Welle - a German "BBC equivalent" has brilliant on-line courses - completely free.

See:

DW does have pretty neat online courses.

Posted

Just thought I'd throw in my experience so far.

I've completed 2 intensive courses at Deutsch Akademie (nr. Alster)so far and been really pleased with it. They use qualified teachers, admin staff are friendly and their maximum class size is 10 and unlike other schools they stick to it. Typically one or two drop out or don't turn up at the start of the course, so 8 is more common. Actually there were only 4 on my first course.

Intensive courses cost 285/month. Their advertising says 3 hours/day for 4 weeks, but omits the fact that it's only 4 days a week which is a bit cheeky, but on balance the cost seems competitive to me. The Hamburg branch has only been open since last November so the school is small, but growing fast.

Negatives: I was supposed to be starting another course tomorrow, but their morning a2,2 class was under-subscribed - possibly as a result of the schools still getting established in Hamburg - so I fell foul of their policy to only run classes with more than 5 people and was told they couldn't run the class. I was only told this 2 days before the end of my current course as I guess they were waiting to see if more people would sign up. I got refunded of course, but it's still shoddy to leave people in the lurch with little time to arrange an alternative.

Despite this I'd still contemplate going back for another course.

In researching schools I also looked at Goethe institute, but they're just too expensive. Even factoring in the increased study hours per week they appear to cost twice as much as all their competitors. Even my German neighbor who is a language teacher said avoid them. It seems like you pay about 400e/month for the prestige.

I also talked to the Volkshochschule which is dirt cheap 108/month (with subsidy), but their classes have up to 20 people, and the pace is far slower. If like me you need to learn German to improve your chances at getting a job then more intensive courses with fewer students is preferable. They did say you could in theory move to the Volkshochschule after a flying start at a private language school, but you can only do that once and worse, you'd have to wait till the Volkshochschule got the same point as your private studies.

Will update after a couple more courses.

Posted

Hi, you should also try UNS Germany, thats in Hoheluftbrücke, they are really good, one level is finished in 6 weeks, costs around 480 I think, and its intensive 5 hours a day. I went there, I started in Colon, and decided to change cus a friend told me and I realised that her german was really good, and she told me about it, made level B2 and C1, and I really do recommend them.

Posted

I would suggest visiting the Caravela Cafe in the Colonnaden on a Thursday at 7pm when Colon has their "Stammtisch." There you can talk with the students there from different German levels and discuss their opinions about the school. There's also always at least 1 teacher that comes as well so you can discuss their teaching philosophies. It's a very open atmosphere and a handful of people who are not students come just to speak German so feel free to come by!

Posted

Im trying to decide between InLingua and Goethe - can anyone tell me much about the two??

Thanks

Posted

Im trying to decide between InLingua and Goethe - can anyone tell me much about the two??

Remember that Inlingua, Berlitz, Wall Street, etc. are all commercial, franchise-based organisations. Your local branch is owned and run by an individual according to the rules of the franchisor. Goethe Institut however, is the official representative organisation for German language and culture (NGO abroad).

Wherever you go, or whatever the cost, the governing factor for success is always the competence of your individual teacher/trainer.

Posted

hmm ok food for thought hahha all very new and exciting. I wonder what it will be like, Ive been warned it could be like a very strict integration camp full of turkish grannies. Not that there is anything wrong with that but as a young guy it would be nice to meet 20/30 somethings like me.

Posted

@ @theledge80

The best idea (if poss.) is of course, personal recommendation. There are professional-looking, shiny-fronted language schools in prime positions - and there are individuals or small individual schools located far from the madding crowd. But these factors have nothing to do with teaching competence.

Good language teaching allows you ample opportunity to speak, speak, speak (and not just for a couple of minutes following which you are doomed to listen to the various repetitive attempts of 30 fellow learners)! And even if the group is small, if you feel the teacher 'babbles' far too much, tell him/her so, or go elsewhere.

A decent place will offer you a free (45/60 minute) hour as a trial, so try them out and you can decide yourself.

HTH

Posted

Great advice man!

Didn't look at it that way.

Posted

Another point for considering a smaller, perhaps independent school: A large school with 30+ classrooms and several hundred customers will probably have little difficulty if the odd customer isn’t satisfied, or if customer figures fluctuate. A proper smaller school however, with just a couple of rooms (or just one) and far fewer customers, almost definitely will.

Any good school/teacher pays maximum attention to each individual customer’s satisfaction and success. The teacher can be justifiably proud, and the business has another satisfied customer, who then [hopefully] orders further lessons and/or also tells his friends, boss and mother-in-law - thus meaning more potential business.

Personal recommendation is the best advertising – and free! A Win-Win situation.

Finally, the people must be friendly! Language learning should be enjoyed, not drilled.