How do you dispose of used cat litter?

34 posts in this topic

Posted

Okay, I'm a foreigner and in my country was different, now everything is new for me

Anyway, we are having this situation here.

We don't know where to throw away the cat's needs with sand and stuff :P

Posted

I put it in the garbage. If you have biodegradable litter (doesn't work for my cats) you could use the toilet.

Posted

Curious to know where you put it in your country.

I tried flushing biodegradable litter once. Clogged the toilet.

I just put it in my rubbish each day before carrying it down.

I miss my cat.

Posted

Proving that life is one neverending surprise, I have to say I can not remember hearing the term "cat manure" before. Cat litter (post-use) and cat poop yes, but cat manure calls up visions of prairie frisbees that are of course siver dollar size or less. It is certainly correct and accurate, but it has never crept into any of my many conversations on cat excrement (wait--is that new too?)...

Posted

Curious to know where you put it in your country.

post-133917-13521341195513.gif

Posted

Proving that life is one neverending surprise, I have to say I can not remember hearing the term "cat manure" before. Cat litter (post-use) and cat poop yes, but cat manure calls up visions of prairie frisbees that are of course siver dollar size or less. It is certainly correct and accurate, but it has never crept into any of my many conversations on cat excrement (wait--is that new too?)...

...or cat 'droppings'. :blink:

Posted

I have cats and I put it in the garbage. Some brands of kitty litter can go in the green bin if you have one. Some can be flushed.

Posted

Actually, Cat crap is called scat.. :)

Posted

Well , not a cat´s manure or whatever..a dog´s . May I interrupt with a personal and shameful episode from my childhood?

You know how they used to serve you fish and chips in England and wrap it up in newspaper for you to take home?

I was about 7 or so, I reckon , and hungry and a bit silly. Had no money for fish and chips and was a sort of latchkey kid mostly.

Had some old newspaper and put dog shit in it and waited outside a fish and chips shop in Londsdale Road, Southend-on-Sea. An old lady came out of the fish and chips shop, grub wrapped up in newspaper and on her trolley thing...I went up behind her and replaced her newspaper contents with mine and scarped, feeling good about myself and my cleverness and naughtiness.

I still feel shame ( well, sort of...I was only a kid and I was hungry ).

Wouldn´t do it again, I promise...

Posted

I have cats and I put it in the garbage.... Some can be flushed.

A cat flushed earlier...

post-72-13521457139772.jpg

Posted

flush it.

Posted

No kidding that you guys never tried it with french fries!!!

Hahahahaha just kiddin.

Actually in Brazil we don't have this kind of garbage selection, recycling and Stuff...

Not even for plastic, paper, glass...

Some people do, but it's not usual, because our government don't pick it up.

So our cats' manure, excrement, poops, or whatever you wanna call it xD goes with all of our garbage.

As long here in Germany you separate everything ( even the grass THAT I KNOW hahaha), I thought you had a special place for the cats "blablabla"

For you to have an idea, even the toillet papers goes in the trash can (on any exclusive supermarket branded bag!!!)

Posted

Unfortunately I was chating with some cat owners friends here in Berlin and they told me that last saturday they had a great and "funny" situation.

They used to flush the cats scat (right, Darkknight?) but, well.. How can I say that... It clogged.

I hate hydraulics and these kind of pipes jobs, so, I want to avoid it :lol:

Posted

Cat litter is not meant to go into a green bin, and yeah, if you flush it down the toilet, rather unpleasant things will happen. So, the normal rubbish is the only place for it to go.

I hate the amount of rubbish I create with cat litter alone, but there's no other option (other than getting rid of the cats, which is NOT an option).

Posted

Here in western Kanada we have moles,... Black little bastards that dig in our lawns and leave hills of dirt all over the place. The theory is that you can drown them with a hose... (Ain't so,... they all have aqua-lungs and swim-fins)... The only way to get rid of them is to place cat litter (used) and cat poop, (fresh) inside their tunnels... That disgusts them and they leave for pastures greener... ( Who wouldn't?) That's the best thing to do with used cat litter... love, Dave the Barbarian from Kanada

Posted

Very fine grained litter that clumps (like this one) reduces the amount of rubbish.

Posted

you could use the toilet.

Some can be flushed.

flush it.

That is - to use the average German's favourite word - VERBOTEN! ;)

Posted

We use cat litter in our Kompostmüll - it absorbs the smell and makes the container easier to clean (a tip I got from Gardeners' Question Time). Does this mean I shouldn't have been tipping it into the green bin along with my veggie peelings?

I mean it's clay or mica or something isn't it? Why wouldn't it compost? Next time I'll be sure to check it's biodegradable.

Wish we could have a cat.

Posted

AFAIK it varies from region to region, some allow it, some don't

EDIT:

Not allowed in Heidelberg

http://www.heidelberg.de/servlet/PB/menu/1124365/index.html

NICHT in die Bioabfalltonne gehören:

Kehricht, Katzenstreu, Staubsaugerbeutel, Windeln und Hygieneartikel, Zigarettenkippen, Knochen, Medikamente, Stoff- und Wollreste. Dies alles ist Restmüll und muss über die Restmülltonne entsorgt werden.

Posted

I have found that the kitty litter that leaves you with the least amount of garbage is the bio-stuff. There is a brand called green cat and there are similar ones. You will notice that the bags are very light when you buy them. However, I have found that it creates dust and one of my cats is sensitive to dust so I switched again.

Posted

http://m.zooplus.de/shop/katzen/katzenstreu/cats_best/42375

My kitties use this stuff. The same brand also available in smaller pellets, but they tracked it everywhere. It clumps & supposedly is flushable... HOWEVER, I live in an altbau & don't completely trust that it won't cause problems, so into general garbage it goes. I wouldn't have thought to put it in the compost bin. I must check & see if it's allowed.

Posted

That is - to use the average German's favourite word - VERBOTEN!

How German of you to think that you can say something is verboten and it becomes so. There are flushable litter. There are rubbish litters. There are even biodegradable litters (but they can't go in compost here because shit is not considered compostable in the public bins.)

Was your comment useful?

Posted

That is - to use the average German's favourite word - VERBOTEN!

My german cat litter explicitly says to flush it. There is even a diagram of the clumps being dropped into the china bowl.