The Good life!

162 posts in this topic

Posted

I grew my own stuff in the 70s, Spider..the police weren´t impressed! :)

Pleased for you that you have space...any cats or dogs that would enjoy that?

Nice pic from above: now we know what HEM has been doing lately!!!

Seriously though: great place, mate..enjoy!

Posted

I'd love to see photos of the inside, especially the barn, before you go demolishing things. :P I see chickens in your future. Lilly will love to chase them, and fresh eggs... mmmm.

Big project. I keep wondering why I got myself into the same mess. Insanity! But it's the good kind. One day at a time...

Will I get an invite when I visit Germany in 2013? ;)

p.s. Growing your own veg is very rewarding, and Lilly will love it!

Posted

Chocky needs some time in nature. :ph34r:

Maybe Spider and he can do some male drumming together? You know, bonding on a primal level?

Posted

I love your bedroom, Spider! Watch out for that ladder if you´ve had a few!!!

Posted

I see chickens in your future.

I think you will need to get a big cock like Mlovett has... :rolleyes:

Seriously Piggy, I never really imagined you to be much of a gardener, but I most certainly think that it can be terribly rewarding to grow your own stuff - you know exactly where it has come from, what has gone into it, and how it has been treated - couldn´t be better!

Personally, I either grow or forage for quite a lot of food - nuts and berries are my favourites for foraging, and I love growing simply stuff like tomatoes, carrots and potatoes.

I tried growing spinach once, but it didn´t produce anything like the amount I actually needed for a meal...maybe I was doing something wrong, but it kind of put me off of trying again!

Good luck to you mate!

Posted

It looks great SP and it would be a shame not to use it for what it was intended. Maybe some chickens too?

Posted

I think you will need to get a big cock like Mlovett has...

Seriously Piggy, I never really imagined you to be much of a gardener, but I most certainly think that it can be terribly rewarding to grow your own stuff - you know exactly where it has come from, what has gone into it, and how it has been treated - couldn´t be better!

Personally, I either grow or forage for quite a lot of food - nuts and berries are my favourites for foraging, and I love growing simply stuff like tomatoes, carrots and potatoes.

I tried growing spinach once, but it didn´t produce anything like the amount I actually needed for a meal...maybe I was doing something wrong, but it kind of put me off of trying again!

Good luck to you mate!

Good luck, indeed, Spider...tried foraging today today..not much in the Müllcontainer outside today..just a few used condoms ( there are many horny Russians in my area ).

Edit: only one or two are usually left in the lift overnight!!!

Posted

Since I have been away for the week, I am not sure how big this plot of land actually is, but maybe you should also plan an area as an adventure playground for Lilly - I would guess that she wouldn´t want to be digging up potatoes for very long at her age...(just a thought!)

Posted

Piggy - thanks for the praise. Yes I do this "Good Life" on a smaller scale. If I had land like you I'd look into the following - Google them all:

First job if I were you would be to buy some fruit trees and build some veg beds as I did. Consider growing grapes and hops for beer and wine!

Then - collect all the rain you can - lots of barrels.

if you have a good compost service then get a trailer and go to the local "Wertstoffhof" and buy soil there. I've emptied 15 tonnes on my garden.

Beehives - top bar hives you can build and have your own honey!

Aquaponics - breeding fish and plants in one closed system

Chickens - build a chicken tractor.

Google permaculture and find out what I've been ranting on about for years.

Good luck but be warned it's a shit load of back breaking work!

Posted

Not sure about the fish...

Bees, well thats no problem, but I am not an "earlybird" so there wouldnt be much Honey as there arent that many crop fields about, its mainly grass/ animal feed thats produced...

Wine and beer?? WTF when there is a drink hall in the next village!

Posted

Can´t remember which woman said it to me, Spider ( we´re talking more or less January 4th or 5th 1981, c. 9 pm...could have been two minutes later )..just remember: no money, no honey...

Posted

Here is just a part of the Hay Loft!

That’s an awesome barn and a prime candidate for a kick ass loft.

Posted

Nice pic from above: now we know what HEM has been doing lately!!!

Just been to Augsburg & back...

I would guess that she wouldn´t want to be digging up potatoes for very long at her age...(just a thought!)

Actually when we did plant some spuds in the garden the kids were fascinated digging them up (at the correct time). Nowadays my wife has claimed the garden for plants - the sort you cannot eat.

Posted

Only if it involved Felicity Kendall's underwear and a mixture of applied psychology and extreme violence.

Posted

Come on Sin... I know that you really mean Margo! :lol:

Posted

It looks ab fab, and you have the space to try out lots. My kids have enjoyed keeping chickens, the brown ones seem nicer than white ones which are a bit psycho. They now wish we could have quails (cute factor, less noisy, but smaller eggs, obviously).

Potatoes are the kid wonder crop, because digging them up is like a brilliant treasure hunt, if I had space I would plant loads - different types ripening at different times for that reason. They like picking runner beans, too. They hanker after a walled kitchen garden, like Delia Smith put on her property.

We wish we could have a couple of dwarf goats (big ones look a bit scary) - looks like you could have a herd!!

Wot Jeremy said about rain collecting and compost. Awful to have to pay to water your precious crops when you have a roof that big.

What fun - hope it turns out as great as it looks. That stream along the side was one of my great childhood wishes. Lucky Lilly.

Posted

Looks great spiderpig, lots of work ahead of you, what village is it in, near ffm? once you have done renovating you could try letting the rooms throw airbnb.com they are very good, i get a lot of people from them..good luck Hun, hope i get to meet you when i arrive next yr :D

Posted

reckon Piggy needs to buy a cardigan from now on!

Only if it involved Felicity Kendall's underwear and a mixture of applied psychology and extreme violence.

Sin: I went trying to track down that Young Ones episode but failed! Apparently it was on in the States as "Good Neighbours"!!!

Piggy - Get yourself a copy of "Jamie At Home". it goes through the garden plants season by season - I found it inspiring and learned so much from it. I also use his "Ministry of Food" a lot, esp when I am making my own curries.

Piggy is heading to be the Richard Briers of TT! Cool!

Posted

Wnen's the housewarming bunga bunga piss-up happening?

Posted

Ahh, you've all re-ignited my wish to get the Good Life on DVD!

Spider - I think growing your own foods etc is a fantastic plan, especially if it is possible to get your little girl involved. It's brilliant for kids to see where food comes from. I loved "helping" my grandparents grow beans and tomatoes, as well as picking te raspberries, blackberries, apples and rhubarb in my parents' garden, and one of the highlights of my little-girlhood was visiting friends who lived on farms, and "helping" there.

I also loved helping deal with the "crops", eg learning to make gallons of tomato soup and blackberry jam!

We also foraged in the country around our place for things like elderberries, damsons, dandelions, cherries, various nuts, etc, which we ate or made into wine. While I understand what you mean about not making wine/beer, fruit wine can be fun and I used to Love watching the big demi-johns of wine bubbling away! Especially, the time the damson wine got out of its pot and covered the laundry room in red foam, and the cat played in it... and oh, the mess :)

I still try to grow my own stuff, though on my small balcony, this is tricky. This year has yielded 2 beans, five spring onions, four beetroots!

Keeping animals is Really hard work - chickens etc not so much, but larger animals are hard. That said, I'd love to have a pig :)

In summary, I would say, that if you want to do it for fun and to expand your daughter's view of the world, then it will be great!

If you have any wish to turn a profit, be prepared for back-breakingly hard work. Farming ain't easy, even at the smallholding level. But if you can rent out those appartments then that should be unnecessary!

Good luck, enjoy, I'm soo jealous!

Posted

Hey SP, it looks great!!! I wish I had all that space for my hobbies, I have to store my motorbikes during winter just covered by a tarp. And this week I will have to ask around in my street to find if a neighbor will let me park my motorbike trailer somewhere, otherwise I will have to park it on the street (and not in our street). And I wish I had the space to build an outdoor RC cars track.

Congratulations.

Posted

Piggy - you might want to have a gander at the amount of work involved in getting veg beds - decent productive ones I mean - up and running:

http://iamrogertheshrubber.wordpress.com/2010/04/12/gonna-start-a-revolution-from-my-veg-bed/

...and the edible results of that work:

http://iamrogertheshrubber.wordpress.com/2010/07/23/polyculture-the-gift-that-keeps-on-giving/

Be warned if you do it the way I did you will be eating more lettuce than you ever imagined! :)

While most of Germany was scared of that EHEC bug we were eating fresh salad every day from May/June to September!