Rent: furnished vs unfurnished

23 posts in this topic

Posted

We will be moving to Hamburg from the UK.

Right now we live in our 3 bedroom mortgaged house here in Oxfordshire. Of course we own all the furniture.

We will let our house here, and rent in Hamburg. At least for the first 2-3yr, eventually we'll see...

We could either take our furniture with us or leave them behind. They are all cheap and cheerful, I don't mind either way. How do the 2 options compare?

If we leave the furniture here we avoid the hassle of moving them, pay slightly less for the removal, we can ask a little higher rent, but also pay more in Hamburg.

If we take them, we'll pay a bit more for the removal, we'll ask a little less here but also pay a little less in Hamburg.

The kitchen no doubt will stay here.

Any advice very welcome. Thanks.

Posted

Hamburg rented accommodation comes with a minimum of a stove and a sink in the kitchen. Often enough, the place will come with an actual built-in kitchen.

I'm fairly frugal, and buy second hand furniture (I've also got plenty of hand-me-downs. Some are incredibly beautiful pieces that I would never have got if I'd tried to buy them, but that's beside the point). But even furnishing your place at Ikea should be at least halfways affordable.

The thing is, in the UK and Ireland, the norm is that a RENTED place comes furnished. In Germany, the norm is that a rented place comes UNfurnished.

Hence, you'd pay through the roof for a furnished place here, meaning it makes sense to furnish it yourself instead.

And back home you'd be well-advised to rent your place out with furniture.

Which means, at least in my humble opinion, it would make most sense to leave your furniture there, and buy new furniture here.

You might want to consider renting a furnished place short-term until you have found an actual abode you wish to stay in for a few years.

The very best of luck!

Posted

Thanks, Gillian.

It makes sense. Honestly I don't mind either way. By the way I rented 2 different properties here in UK in the last 10yr: once furnished, once unfurnished. Not sure what the "norm" is, really.

Hope is not too much hassle to find a place with kitchen.

My plan is first to come myself and live frugally for few weeks. In this time I explore the area and when I find a place more suitable for a family wife and daughter will come too, then we let our place in the UK.

I'm trying to learn about house vs flat. I know Hamburg is a city and therefore houses cost much more and are only in the suburbs. I hope we can get a house with garden in a green quite place (boring is what we like).

Posted

I hope you're looking for a green QUIET place <_< but honestly, if boring is what you like, go for Pinneberg and other stuff on the outskirts of Hamburg.

Continental Europe has a much much lower percentage of home owners (and when you can furnish your place yourself, you honestly don't think about whether you are renting or not - you just make it your home). It also has a much larger number of people living in apartments, and there is no social stigma attached to an apartment vs a house per se. All depends on the area - like everywhere, people look down on areas with a large amount of social housing.

A 'young' area with a large yard including a playground might be just as good as a house with garden. Or even preferable, as your kid would have a lot more interaction with others.

Posted

Gillian,

thanks. You see, my German is close to zero and my English is still not great.

I spent my young life thinking there was no benefit in living in a house with garden, rather than a flat. But here in England I always lived in houses with garden, for the last 11yr, and now I am converted. We even grow our own veg and our young daughter plays swing and see-saw and we love it.

Given the choise, I rather commute long and have a house with garden. If no choice, either way will do.

Green, quiet(!!), and boring is what we want. Did I say green too?

Posted

Hi, and sorry - I forgot you weren't a native English speaker (the little error I pointed out is one that natives get wrong all the time too!).

I admit I personally would NOT choose to CYCLE all the way from Pinneberg (and I am a cyclist, used to do 8 miles to school & same distance back).

Growing your own veggies is great - German living in cities, with no access to a garden, will often have a so-called 'Schrebergarten', a little allotment, somewhere. They are in great demand though, run through clubs / associations, and I guess there might be a long long waiting list for one. But still I thought I'd mention it.

If distance is no problem, I'm sure you'll find somewhere with a garden of your own, though.

Best of luck again!

Posted

Hi, It's already been said, but apartments/houses here are almost always "unfurnished" and by that I mean even the light fittings, i was actually shocked at how "unfurnished" they actually were, so if you choose to not take no furniture from the UK, be prepared to buy new fittings etc for the new place, a personal favourite for buying stuff for the house is "Roller" in my opinion its better quality that Ikea and cheaper most of the time. There is a pretty good "bahn" train network in Hamburg and depending on were you work, and were you intend to live can be calculated by this website

http://www.hvv.de/en/index.php

Good luck

Stephen G-D

Posted

I'm not too sure what the rental market is like in Hamburg. It could take you some time to find the right kind of place to rent on a longer term basis. Do you already have temporary accommodation lined up whilst you search for something? If so, is it in any way suitable for you and your family to live in short term even if it's very small? It's probably easier to find something new with all your family with you as landlords often want to see the whole family.

I moved all of our belongings from the UK last year. It cost about 2.5k. It was only worth it because I could store it at my Mum's house here whilst we looked for a family home. Maybe you could store some of your belongings in the UK and bring it over at a later date once you have found a place.

Just a general suggestion, if you have a job here, perhaps speak to the company you will work for and see if anyone can offer and advice regarding accommodation.

Good luck

Posted

I admit I personally would NOT choose to CYCLE all the way from Pinneberg (and I am a cyclist, used to do 8 miles to school & same distance back).

Gillian, why not? Distance or conditions?

Distance Pinneberg-DESY is about 20 km, that's not too prohibitive for someone keen on cycling...

PS sorry if I'm pestering with many questions. And thanks again for all help so far...

Posted

I moved all of our belongings from the UK last year. It cost about 2.5k.

Useful to know. Thanks. Of course I'll get quotes. We moved Manchester-Oxford 2yr ago, 3bed house with all furniture, bicycles, etc, cost was £900, so near 3k sounds reasonable

Posted

"I admit I personally would NOT choose to CYCLE all the way from Pinneberg (and I am a cyclist, used to do 8 miles to school & same distance back)."

Gillian, why not? Distance or conditions?

Distance Pinneberg-DESY is about 20 km, that's not too prohibitive for someone keen on cycling...

Oh I guess at this age, I'm a 'fair weather cyclist' - I would hate the bike to be my only option. It does rain a lot here, and if you add some wind to that, well, let's just say, that's not really my cup of tea.

However, the great thing about public transport here is that 1. it's excellent, and 2. you can carry your bike on the trains. Mind you, not before 9am, rush hour. Same goes for 4-6pm.

So I usually use a combination of both, bike & train.

Posted

I found that when I was eager to buy used furniture, I could not find any and had to buy new and full price. Now I went to nachmiete our apartment with the furniture, everyone seems not to want it.

So look at the cost of bringing things over (and back if you aren't permanent) and compare it to the very high cost here in Germany (where even Ikea is more expensive than elsewhere) and make the decision based on that.

Posted

The 2.5k was for half a normal removal lorry. All went really well and now almost 18 months after we moved here we are only just unpacking things and thankfully nothing at all is damaged. I don't want to dampen your moving enthusiasm though I really would advise that you search more on house hunting unless you already have sorted something for your family. All the best

Posted

emkay,

my plan right now for house hunting is the following. First I come only myself and live in a small place, just one room will do. I leave my family behind. During this time, maybe 1-2months(?), I will be hunting for house or flat. When sorted I'll simply move my family over and instruct the moving company.

This is how we did when we moved 7000 miles few years ago (ok, then it was easier because no house, no furniture or bicycles, no child)...

3k removal cost is about what I would expect (I'll start to get quotes soon). It will take us one full lorry (it was 70& full last move 2.5yr ago and things increased only slightly). I guess full lorry or half lorry the cost will be almost identical, because fuel and time etc would not change much.

Posted

and compare it to the very high cost here in Germany (where even Ikea is more expensive than elsewhere)

I just had a quick comparison at ikea.de and ikea.co.uk and it seems German ikea is actually cheaper.

Posted

Check out Roller first, as I said earlier Roller are cheaper and better quality. (just my opinion)

http://www.roller.de/

Posted

Just spoken with an agent here in the UK about letting our property. He strongly suggests to let it unfurnished because this is a much larger market.

The new employer is willing to pay for furniture transport, and agent fee is we were to sell.

Not sure what to do, maybe we could just as well sell our house, even though we would not buy another for the next 2-3yr minimum...

We still have 5 monhts before moving, I guess we can try to sell and see how it goes, if not great we'll go for letting it. The net rental yield should be same as the mortgage.

Posted

Hi every one,

am moving to hamburg next month from the uk.

i need help with were are the best places to live or rent a flat?

posh, safe

any help would do!

thanks.

sharon.

Posted

My relocation company tells me that it is better to go for a furnished one.

Reason is that you won't have to stand in line for competition with 5 others :)

Need advice from the boarders - how much is the price difference between a furnished and an unfurnished apartment? (roughly 60 sq m)

Posted

I just had a quick comparison at ikea.de and ikea.co.uk and it seems German ikea is actually cheaper.

Also comparing ikea.it and ikea.de, many items are priced the same but many others are cheaper on the .de version...

Posted

My relocation company tells me that it is better to go for a furnished one.

Reason is that you won't have to stand in line for competition with 5 others

True, but availability factor for furnished v/s un-furnished offsets this benefit. Nevertheless, for 'Ausländers' finding an apartment in Hamburg is really challenging. BTW, the competetition is usually with 20, and not just 5.

Need advice from the boarders - how much is the price difference between a furnished and an unfurnished apartment? (roughly 60 sq m)

Are you asking the difference for Hamburg? I did not find the difference much. I have seen both furnished and unfurnished in the 600-1000 range. Really depends on the situation (read: how insane the landlord is).

Posted

For heaven's sake.

The Germans simply do not go for furnished accomm!

They want all new. all freshly decorated.

We have just sold our flat in NE Hamburg, and the new owner does not want the

fitted kitchen (despite it being "as new", with Swedish granite work tops of a quality you cannot

even buy today).

So we save 20K by removing it and installing it in our new house...

Posted

So we save 20K by removing it and installing it in our new house...

You did not complain, did you?

Our neighbour here in UK is German, he is the onw well know in the neighbourhood because when he bought the house he moved his own kitchen and fitted it. Everyone though that was a bit strange.