Starting a WG in Berlin with poor German

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I've been living in Berlin since August and it's been the most depressing period of my life. I graduated this year, and had never moved out from my parents before leaving the UK. Amongst the problems was the fact that I hadn't arranged a compatible WG. My flatmates are lovely people, but they are not interested in me (which is fair enough) and I've not had the time (or the confidence) to make friends outside the WG.

My lease ends next year and I have been replying to ads on WG Gesucht but so far have had no replies. I am keen to take matters into my own hands which leads me to my question.

How easy is it to start a WG as Hauptmieter without C1+ German (i.e. not amazing German) for January/February next year? I have the funds to do this, but am unsure where to start.

Any advice is appreciated.

Posted

Rent a place, then advertise that you're looking for roommates.

The trick is finding a place that's a) available and B) willing to accommodate a WG.

Posted

Do you have either a steady income in Germany or someone with a steady income in Germany to act as your guarantor?

Posted

I have a steady income but no guarantor. Is this a problem?

Posted

Landlords generally prefer tenants with a steady income from a German source, especially employment income from employees who have passed their Probezeit. As long as you have an income in Germany, a guarantor is usually not necessary. I'd recommend that you read Advice on apartment rental in Berlin for multiple viewpoints and practical advice. Don’t let the thread discourage you, finding an apartment also had lots to do with luck. However, you really should start looking now.

Posted

If you have a job and steady income you do not need a guarantor.

Have you thought of just renting your own place - a small studio or something and then make friends in your own leisure. Go to nightschool etc..

Berlin is a great city. Settling in anywhere can be tough in the first few months.

Posted

Unfortunately I don't have the social skills to do this. I come across shockingly when I view flats so I'm lucky I found something in the first place.

Posted

Just a suggestion: Perhaps ask one of the people offering their services to translate, help with paperwork etc. (see the "Services offered" ads in the Berlin forum) to accompany you to viewings, to translate and "smooth" the process?