Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cycling commute to DESY

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello all,

my first post here. I got a job offer from DESY so we will be moving soon.

It will be my wife, our 3yr old daughter, and myself. Wife will be at home at first and just study German.

Right now we live in England, been here 11yr now, none of us is Brit.

Ideally we want a house in the suburb, with a large garden and space around. Budget not sure, max maybe 1500-1800.

Commuting to work I will be mostly cycling. I don't mind the distance (20km each way perfect, 30km ok, been doing that for many years) or the weather.

What are the best places?

It seems better avoid south of the Elbe, bicycle cannot go under the tunnel, right?

Posted

You'll have to be north of the Elbe for sure! Way to go on the bike commuting. :)

As DESY is to the west of the city, and you prefer the burbs but don't mind a commute of 20 - 30km each way, check out Pinneberg, which is in the northwest. Rates would be most likely be lower for what you're looking for than the closer - and old-money areas - of Blankenese and Othmarschen.

Posted

Silty,

thanks. Very helpful.

How will be the cycling conditions for the Pinneberg-DESY commute? I mean street lights, traffic, maybe cycling tracks, awareness of cyclists by drivers, etc...?

Gambatte.

Posted

Hi,

Hamburg is a very bike-friendly place. I don't know about the route you are planning, but in most of the city there are dedicated bike lanes. I am pretty sure there is a "Bike Map" of hamburg...but I don't know where you would find it.

Posted

Thanks Tor,

good to hear is bike friendly.

I'm not actually "planning" a route. Not yet at least. I'm just trying to gather information before we eventually move.

Thanks anyway.

Posted

It's hard to tell you how your bike commute is going to be because even if some or all of your route does have a cycling path, they can range from brand new to so old and crumbling you're better off on the road. Most cycling paths I take are just a different-coloured brick strip shared without barrier to the pedestrian sidewalk - watch out at bus stops! Especially there, you get people wandering across your path a lot. Lately a lot of the wanderers have been texting... Have a good warning bell.

Street lighting is generally good, but always use a light front and back so you're more visible to drivers and other cyclists.

Posted

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

We'll be moving to Hamburg to work at DESY next year. Myself, wife, and 3yr child.

I will be cycling to work, don't mind the distance if <30km each way, but must be north of the river.

Ideally we want a place green, peaceful, quiet, family friendly, and boring. Somewhere we can have afford to rent a house with a large garden, and we can just go out of the door and walk through forests or fields.

Shopping, restaurants, and night life we ignored them when we had plenty around, and did not miss them when we did not have any around.

Where should we look?

Posted

I don't know if you will be able to find a house to rent but look in the direction of Schenefeld (Dorf). Thats where I stayed for 2 years in the early 80s when working @ DESY on behalf of Manchester University.

Try to get the DESY Gästehaus office to assist you.

Posted

Thanks!

BTW, I also worked in Manchester. We lived just Suth of Manchester. Lovely places: Dunham Park, Tatton Park, Lyme Park, then Peak District, Snowdon, Lakes District... wordeful, I miss those places.

Posted

I don't know if you will be able to find a house to rent

I don't have too much hope, but I do have some.

All I know is either from this forum, or from immonet.de or immobilienscout24.de. Well, even tough much fewer, and dearer, than flats, there are houses too...

Posted

Try null-provision.de as well - and you just may find something, you never know, by checking Quoka.de and Ebay Kleinanzeigen regularly. And make sure word is put out at your place of work (to be) - oftentimes, it's someone who knows someone who... you get the idea.

Good luck!

Posted

You may want to look at Wedel.

It takes 25 minutes by car or a just bit longer by S-bahn+bus to Bahrenfeld.

Officially it is just outside Hamburg but it has all the local amenities, a lovely promenade by Elbe and plenty of greenery around.

Highly recommended - for a family that is.

Posted

Thanks, akguni. Indeed from this forum I learnt Wedel is a very nice (and expensive) place.

Thanks, we will see...

Posted

Indeed from this forum I learnt Wedel is a very nice (and expensive) place.

Both are true (nice & expensive).

I lived there 2 years when I moved on with my GF (now wife of 24 years as of yesterday). Whilst the small 2-room flat in the Altstadt was payable we had no chance to buy a house there - which is why we now live on the outskirts of Pinneberg.

I've a number of friends / fellow club-members who live in Wedel as its not far from our local airfield.

Posted

Lot of people coming to Desy! I am in the Desy gesthaus now! Also I am searching for a house (nice and boring) because of my dog! Bye!

Posted

We used to host the DESY bridge group - back in the days of HEP (Petra & HERA) - many years ago :(

Posted

Hi Hem,

I think that once I was in your house, playing bridge... In that time there were few tables and beautiful atmosphere :) Some weeks ago there was a discussion, that it would be worth to bring back to life such a group. Would you be still interested?

Gambatte, contact the international office and ask about the house. If you like I can visit addresses you will get and take some photos for you. Some time ago somebody else did it for me and I found very nice house. Would be great now to help somebody else.

Posted

Hi Hem,

I think that once I was in your house, playing bridge... In that time there were few tables and beautiful atmosphere

When Henk & later Pavel were the main coordinators? At the most we had 4 tables (bit of a squash) with 9 pairs - all nationalities (US, Canadian, UK, Poland, Holland, Italy, Russia, China, & many more).

Some weeks ago there was a discussion, that it would be worth to bring back to life such a group. Would you be still interested?

I'd have to talk with the lady-of-the-house - we'd also need to redecorate part as the pet rabbits have destroyed the wallpaper :(

Posted

Well, counting back, it was ~ 13 years ago, or something about it. I don't remember who was coordinating ... But that one pair was waiting is the truth :) I also remember story about the deer in your garden. There was a big window in the living room and somebody of you were that sometimes you have such visits. That's all what I remember, apart of the fact that evening my pair won, first and last time :)

At the moment there is nothing ongoing, we made some plans, but no action yet. But your post reminded me, that it would be worth to do something :)