Cyber Monday in Germany

32 posts in this topic

Posted

I was thinking about Christmas shopping (and buying myself a computer) and realized that Black Friday and more importantly Cyber Monday was coming up soon.

For those that do not know this wonderful shopping day here is a link to Wikipedia Cyber Monday.

I have tried Googling "Cyber Monday in Germany" and came across a few sites saying that because of people complaining about it (both customers saying it is not fair that there is a limited amount of deals and companies complaining that cyber Monday took sales away from them) that there will not be a cyber Monday here in Germany this year.

Does anyone have any information about where or if there will be deals this November on the 26th 2012?

Posted

Weird. Anyway, if it's not available here in Germany, just order from the UK. Cheap delivery, and no import duties as it's within the EU make it well worth while.

Oh, and since so many things are cheaper in the UK over Germany anyway, specials just add to the bonus.

Posted

just order from the UK.

That is a great idea. I was trying to plan out if it would be cheaper to order stuff from the US and pay the crazy shipping + VAT but ordering from the UK seems much more logical haha.

Thanks for info!

Any one have good UK shopping site recommendations for Cyber Monday? Im will check off and on at work today and post what I find.

Posted

I am from the UK and never heard of this cyber monday thing (until you posted about it here, obviously). Granted, I've been out of the country for 4 years so maybe things have evolved since I last lived there..

Posted

The wikipedia article and UK newspapers seem to suggest that Cyber Monday is the name for the day of the year which has the biggest figures for online shopping. Are you saying that you can get good deals on that day?

Posted

I remember Amazon in Germany doing these last year. A quick google and a peek at their website says that they will be doing it again this year on the 29th November.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000448683

Never bought anything though.

Posted

Black Friday's based on the US Thanksgiving Holiday. Why would you expect it here?

Yes, of course.

Black Friday started as the day following Thanksgiving which is, as you say, an American holiday. However, it is the day after Thanksgiving, and is seen as the start of the Christmas shopping period. Now, Christmas, is a European tradition which also took off pretty well in the US. Although Europe does not celebrate Thanksgiving in any form, it does celebrate Christmas, which being pretty much on the same date, has a similar run up period for shopping.

Now, as it's not the 1980's anymore, and we live in a global world where people will hear all the buzz of a special shopping day of great specials called "Black Friday", it's only natural that large, global shopping organizations have expanded this day of sales to other countries. Especially something like an American giant such as Amazon. It is only natural as well, that when one large retail outlet promotes a giant sale, other retail outlets, even local ones, may compete with it also.

Hence, despite the lack of Thanksgiving, the Black Friday sales are just as perfectly timed in Europe for Christmas as they are in the US.

Traditions do have a way of going both global, and despite different situations, can still be valid - even when pushing things a bit like in Australia when it is 42°C in the middle of summer and Santa wears a wooly red coat and Xmas cards have pictures of snow.

Cyber Monday was known in the US as being one of the busiest online days for shopping. It is also the case in the UK as well, though some reports suggest the whole thing is too difficult to prove as there are a few more equally busy online shopping days in the build up to Xmas (It is especially difficult to obtain accurate figures since so much online sales cross national borders these days) But in any effect, it is equally a valid PR campaign for the UK as for the US, despite not having the Thanksgiving holiday.

Afterall, the sales are really about Christmas presents.

Posted

Sorry, Cyber Whatnow? I only left the UK last year and I have never heard of this. Maybe in marketing circles and international business, but not everyday normal people. Also, Black Friday is something I only connect with the US and have only heard US people talking about. As we don't have Thanksgiving here, shops tend to roll out the Christmas goods earlier, whilst my impression is that the US is all about Thanksgiving, holding back on the Christmas, and then Black Friday is when the Christmas stuff really hits out. So there is less of a big moment which would cause massive sales on one day/be a good reason to have sales and offer etc.

Maybe I walk around with my eyes closed but I have never noticed 'Black Friday' sales (or 'Sales at the end of November' shall we say, since Black Friday doesn't exist) either in the UK or in Germany. When is 'Cyber Monday' even supposed to be anyway?

Posted

Dude, my wife met a guy a few weeks back, who had never heard of a Kindle or an eBook. He was within the age bracket where one may think this is an impossibility, and he is online.

the term "Cyber Monday" is not as old in the UK as it is in the US where it originated, but it has been rather large the last couple of years at least. Yes, it is a marketing PR stunt, but so is Christmas.

If you were buying ANYTHING online around that week last year, the year before, and most likely the year before that, you would certainly have read it, seen it, or bought something on special because of it. But you may not have registered it.

Just like that chap didn't register the Kindle outside of what he put on his BBQ. (Oh, and my father rejecting a Xmas package I ordered for him, because he wasn't expecting anything to come from a large rainforerst located in Brazil - well, my father's excuse is his age ;)

The rule of the thumb here. Because, you, I, or my father hasn't heard of something, doesn't mean it isn't pretty big out there.

Test: Now that you know of Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Look at UK online stores around that time and you will see it everywhere. Once it is seen... it can't be unseen...

Posted

Oh, and since so many things are cheaper in the UK over Germany anyway, specials just add to the bonus.

Any items in particular? I just tried looking up the prices of some of the items on my Christmas shopping list on Amazon UK, but so far I haven't found one that's cheaper on the UK site.

Posted

Finding a lot of sites referencing deals in 2010 and 2011 but nothing for 2012. Maybe deals will be posted in a week or two?

Why would you expect it here?

Because Cyber Monday is based on people buying things online for Christmas and Christmas seems pretty big here. Also it was on Wikipedia (see link in original post.)

Posted

Finding a lot of sites referencing deals in 2010 and 2011 but nothing for 2012. Maybe deals will be posted in a week or two?

Because Cyber Monday is based on people buying things online for Christmas and Christmas seems pretty big here. Also it was on Wikipedia (see link in original post.)

First line from Wikipedia.

Cyber Monday is a marketing term for the Monday immediately following Black Friday, the Friday following Thanksgiving Day in the United States, created by companies to persuade people to shop online.

Just a little clue. Thanksgiving isn't that big with Germans.

Posted

Thanksgiving isn't that big with Germans.

No... but Christmas and Christmas shopping are pretty big in Germany. :rolleyes: I don't think many people will be buying things on the 26th of November for Thanksgiving hahahaha.

Anyways, so the thread does not derail and continues on topic I will try and redefine it for you.

Does anyone have any information about where or if there will be deals online in Germany this November on the 26th 2012?

Posted

You can lead a horse...

Posted

Man, everything I find online about Cyber Monday for both the UK and Germany all seem to be about the 2011 deals and all written about mid-November. Guessing the offers have not been made public yet (I hope). :)

You can lead a horse...

to water, but a pencil must be lead.

(PS. Try and stay on topic)

Posted

I remember Amazon in Germany doing these last year.

+1 I remember it too from last year.

Posted

Any items in particular? I just tried looking up the prices of some of the items on my Christmas shopping list on Amazon UK, but so far I haven't found one that's cheaper on the UK site.

The euro is doing badly against the pound at the moment, so the UK is not so cheap.

Earlier this year I bought a sleeping bag on amazon.co.uk at about 70% of the price for the same product on amazon.de (including postage). But I imagine that's not the sort of thing the you or OP were looking for...

Posted

The euro is doing badly against the pound at the moment, so the UK is not so cheap.

That's especially true on sites like Amazon. I was looking at an item that's €578 on amazon.de and is £533 on amazon.co.uk.

Posted

Sure: Now, I don't doubt you when you say you found things more expensive. But maybe they are totally different things to what I look at.

Here are some items I recently purchased or compared: These are not just items that I searched to find things that promote my side here, these are actually items I have bought, or plan to buy and are currently in the cart.

(Prices are based on the exchange rate at the time of posting)

Lord of the Rings, Blue Ray box set, extended edition: (quite a difference)

DE: €73,99

UK: €48,67

And for a TV series, Family Guy, Season 9, DVD:

DE:€29,99

UK: €12,48

Tablet stand: I was looking for a really cheap stand for my iPad, and this one fit the bill. I'll buy from the UK thanks.

DE: €20,-

UK: €5,24

Imported CD: Cat Empire's latest studio offering (great indie band from Australia)

DE: €18,23

UK: €13,01

Another Indie CD from the Guillemots:

DE: €39,99

UK: €9,51

Granted, this one is a bit unfair as this Album is still an Import in Germany. But hell, it is the Guillemots, which are not that small, and it is only imported from the UK, 1hr by plane and within the EU, and nearly 40€!!!

So, in all fairness, let's choose an obscure indie band from Germany, Velveteen. Actually, these guys are from Frankfurt and pretty cool. Let's see how much more it costs to import to their UK fans. (I'll also be honest here, and I actually got a free CD from the band, so I didn't buy this one item online)

DE: €18,99 (What the... and it's not even an import and in stock!)

UK: €23,32

Ok, a bit more expensive, but nothing like the Guillemots (who are globally known)

I do admit though, with big items like televisions, which are price set at the time of entering the market, the Pound's increasing value over the Euro does make them more expensive now from the UK. But generally speaking, I don't buy big items from the Internet.

But on items such as Books, CD's, and DVD's (the mainstay of Amazon) I find it at least usually cheaper from the UK, and sometimes ridiculously cheaper. Then there are the small items like the iPad stand. In so many cases, when I look for these cheap items I find them a lot cheaper in general in the UK than in the DE stores.

But, granted, we can all be different.